• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sonic Runner is NOT CANON

Hello, I would like to talk about one part of the Sonic canon that we should ignore, ... Sonic Runners

First of all, I will mention a few things quickly (Ian Flynn), I think they are worth mentioning for a later point about CTR.

In 2023 there are also questions related to Sonic Runners, but none that imply canonicity or decanonicity, so I did not post them (if you want me to do it, it will take a while)
Furthermore, it has become clear to us that the argument that it is the only way to give a reason for the Whisps on Earth does not work.
The information can be present within a game without it necessarily being canonical, or the game can be canon, ignoring clear things in the game (an example would be any classic game with more than 7 chaos emeralds, such as Sonic Fighter, where 8 are shown emeralds, but within the current canon, that is ignored)
On top of this, it can be and is replaced by simply a mention of someone (as you will see above Ian Flynn has also explained the Whisp on the ground, so we can use that as a source in Sonic Runner)

Furthermore, the events directly contradict the previous games

Windy Hill in Spring
Birthday on Windy Hill
Desert Ruins
I know, Ian Flynn hasn’t “Word of god” but unlike the Sonic Laberynth case, this has remained consistent, and has actually been reinforced in 2024
(Also, if you want to use that examples to nullify Ian Flynn's word, it is justified, it was not canon/it was ambiguous at the time Ian said that, but when it was confirmed as canon some time later, Ian had to retract his word)

In sumary:
  • In itself it is a mobile game, which makes it a background game.
  • It does not contribute anything to the franchise, it is never referenced (Runners adventure doesn’t count) and has generally been forgotten, which means that if it has inconsistencies with the franchise, remove it from the canon It's the obvious move, and apparently the one they chose
  • It is a canceled game, with no legal way to play
  • Ian Flynn has directly said that it is not canon, and that information has not changed in 2 years, unlike other times
  • 3 Events are inconsistent with canon
But Everything is canon!
Let's remember that it was said based on a crossover image of PuyoPuyoTetris 2
The phrase is not “everything that is made of sonic is canon”, it was a joke, and if you want to look for a meaning, it would be “Don't worry, what you think is canon is canon”
Also remember that the canon changes constantly, just searching the "Sonic canon" page of the Sonic Wiki Zone, I found out that:

• Sonic Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic Spinball were initially non-canon, but they changed it (not to be confused with Sonic Pinball Party, that isn't canon)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was changed from the classic era to the modern era
  • Apparently Sonic Rush now takes place before 2006 (I hate this, I don't know why, but I do it)

I don't know, Sonic's profiles are f##k##g big and a lot of them, and runner is so insignificant
this is what I found
-Some references would have to be changed, but they do not end up affecting the abilities, because it is only used to show more clearly the abilities of the Whisps (Modern era, Item Boxes)
-Altrough, I'm pretty sure Tails & Knuckles don't use the whisps in any other games (I don't know if Team Sonic Racing counts or not), so they maybe lose them (Maybe they use it in the comics, I don't read them yet so I don't know). (Modern era, Item Boxes)
-Loses Blinding
-The mention of his mind control in the intelligence section should go. (For Eggman) (I was wrong, this is from Sonic Colors, so it stays)
-Remove references referring to Runners, abilities continue due to Team Sonic Racing
  • Everyone else
-Probably lose Whisps references (Again, I don't know if Team Sonic Racing counts), also correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only characters you unlock through the story are Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, so, Is it canon that he uses them at some point even if Runners were to be considered canon?
  • General
-This calculation becomes unusable (Sonic Runners Adventure is affected by automatic, and the calc was never accepted on the wiki to begin with, so in case this CTR doesn't work, at least revise it) Probably due to the current infinite upgrade, it no longer matters
-Any future attempts to use the appearance of the "Genie of the lamp" at his event for something, or the crossover event with Puyo Puyo for cosmology, etc. automatically become a no.

That's all (I think), if I forget something, mention it (and help me with the references)
Even if Runner is considered canon, the events are definitely not, and what the result of this CTR is should be posted on the canon blog.

Last edited:
Since it does mention the events of the games, it being an alternate timeline at the very least seems acceptable

And answering your question, Team Sonic racing is cannon, the chars keep the wisps

I still disagree with using Ian's statements, no matter how much you repeat yourself, he is not a reliable source for these statements. The same applies to the Sonic Wikia, which is an even more unreliable source.

So I'm neutral on decanonizing Runners. I wasn't convinced by your evidence.

Also, IDW has the Wisps explanation of Runners in its first few issues. So that's still canon.

Eggman still has a Mind Control Ray in Colors, so that's canon, too. Most of the characters also use Wisps in Team Sonic Racing, so that's canon, too.

I'm about the same stance as User's. I don't mind using Flynn when there's no other alternative, I just wish Sega would have the Lore Team do these confirmations or something.

Ultimately neutral on de-canonizing Runners. There are certain elements of the game that I believe would still be canon regardless (Mind Control Ray, Wisps' reasoning for staying on Earth, etc.) so I'll wait for more comments.

I still disagree with using Ian's statements, no matter how much you repeat yourself, he is not a reliable source for these statements. The same applies to the Sonic Wikia, which is an even more unreliable source.

So I'm neutral on decanonizing Runners. I wasn't convinced by your evidence.
Ian has a voice in the lore team, (it is not an absolute voice, it has already happened that someone with a higher position than him in terms of lore has said something contrary and automatically what Ian says stops being usable, or the whole Sonic Prime thing)
But he has been saying the same thing for more than 2 years, and no one has made him stop doing it, something that has happened with things where he was wrong or what changed after he said it.
I think we should at least consider it.
Also, IDW has the Wisps explanation of Runners in its first few issues. So that's still canon.
That is one of the points, that information can and is extractable from other places, it is not necessary for Runners to be canon to reach the same conclusion
Eggman still has a Mind Control Ray in Colors, so that's canon, too.
The mention of mind control I am referring to is this:
"Created a ray powerful enough to place the entire planet under mind control"
I don't remember much about Colors, but that doesn't happen until Runners, right?

I just checked it, my mistake.
I grant that

Last edited:
That is one of the points, that information can and is extractable from other places, it is not necessary for Runners to be canon to reach the same conclusion
I didn't use it as an argument for Runners being canon. It was just me saying these concepts are still canon via other means.

I still think Runners should be cannon as an alternate timeline as the events of the storybook games are referenced, secret rings one even mentions "a blue hedgehog" who beat erazor iirc

I still think Runners should be cannon as an alternate timeline as the events of the storybook games are referenced, secret rings one even mentions "a blue hedgehog" who beat erazor iirc
I'm sorry, but the fact that the game references events from other games is the same as nothing, Runners would need its events to be referenced in another to be able to get something out of there (At least now that it is relatively old),
or at least with stronger evidence, just those mentions contradict themselves, because the game recognizes the events of the book, King Shahryar recognizes the events of the book (by recognizing Sonic), but Sonic does not recognize anything about the events from the book
Also there is no reference to the black knight game: Merlina appears as a character, Sonic does not recognize her and... that is all, Runners doesn't even hints the events of the game

I'm sorry, but the fact that the game references events from other games is the same as nothing, Runners would need its events to be referenced in another to be able to get something out of there (At least now that it is relatively old),
or at least with stronger evidence, just those mentions contradict themselves, because the game recognizes the events of the book, King Shahryar recognizes the events of the book (by recognizing Sonic), but Sonic does not recognize anything about the events from the book
Also there is no reference to the black knight game: Merlina appears as a character, Sonic does not recognize her and... that is all, Runners doesn't even hints the events of the game
yeah......which is why i said "cannon as an alternate timeline" since the events of the games happened and are referenced, just not to Runner's Sonic

Back