• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some questions about Game Mechanics

EmilioRory10

He/Him
so I decided to calculate a couple feats of some games and I want to know if they're game mechanics or not.

1. Ore falling (Roblox tycoon)

1.1)-Basically from a Roblox tycoon there's an iron cube of a size of 18.48*18.48*18.48 meters, I calculated the Kinetic Energy of it falling (and also its , and the player can survive the ore falling right into their head with no damage, do they scale or is it considered game mechanics because the ore isn't supposed to do damage?

2. HP and damage (any game)

2.1)- If a weapon does more damage than another weapon but its feats are weaker, is it considered to be stronger than the other one?
2.2)- If a weapon does more damage than another weapon but the other weapon is supposed to be stronger, does the one that damage more scale?
2.3)- What if it does more hits but it's just in one attack (5 hit do more damage than 1 hit from the weapon that made the original feat but those 5 hits happened in just 1 attack, do you divide the AP from the feat by 5)?
2.4)-If a character has enough HP to take a hit from a weapon that has a powerful feat, does their durability scale?

3. Multipliers

3.1)- If an attack does twice as much damage as another attack in the gameplay and that's also repeated in the description of the attack, is its AP considered twice of the attack that makes the feat?
3.2)- If there's a spell that is stated to boost your damage by a specific level (80%, 90% or twice as much), is the multiplier used for the AP?

1. If there is no indication that the ore causes damage or destruction, nor is it part of the plot that the player is tough and survives it, then nope.

2.1 Feats > damage yeah, arceus has better feats than all other pokemon but it's stats aren't the highest and can be surpassed by a trained magikarp.

2.2 if there is any hint that it canonically is as dangerous (if the game got lore) yeah, without lore or anything, i think damage scaling is fine (no idea where you'd get weapon A being better without lore though)

2.3 damage scaling like that doesn't work i think, it would just downscale to the other weapon at best.

2.4 yep, if it ain't a outlier, it should be fine, helps if they survive on lore or something.

3.1 if the description straight up says it is twice as strong, yes, the damage would support it in this case.

3.2 unsure but i think so, if it boost your overral damage, should be fine to multiply, helps if it is stated on description or lore

1. If there is no indication that the ore causes damage or destruction, nor is it part of the plot that the player is tough and survives it, then nope.

2.1 Feats > damage yeah, arceus has better feats than all other pokemon but it's stats aren't the highest and can be surpassed by a trained magikarp.

2.2 if there is any hint that it canonically is as dangerous (if the game got lore) yeah, without lore or anything, i think damage scaling is fine (no idea where you'd get weapon A being better without lore though)

2.3 damage scaling like that doesn't work i think, it would just downscale to the other weapon at best.

2.4 yep, if it ain't a outlier, it should be fine, helps if they survive on lore or something.

3.1 if the description straight up says it is twice as strong, yes, the damage would support it in this case.

3.2 unsure but i think so, if it boost your overral damage, should be fine to multiply, helps if it is stated on description or lore
2.2 It doesn't really have lore, but it seems to be supposed to be stronger due to it being from a higher level and a superior enemy (level 60k enemy and level 80k enemy) (actually the one that's "supposed to be stronger" by level and uses freezing as its main thing, the feat would be creating a cloud)

2.3 Ok

2.4 I don't really think it's an outlier as the attack is supposed to be the most basic and weakest magic attack

3.2 It says it boosts the damage by that amount in the description of the small and like with the other one it's also supported by gameplay

Adding 3 more questions

1.2)- From that same game, there's an item that has a chance of destroying the ores, which includes that cube, would it be ok in that case to scale the item to the pulverization value of that cube?
1.3)- There's also an item which gives a fire effect that destroys the ore with no trace, should I use melting or vaporization for that? Can it even be used?
1.4)- There's another item with its main functionality being that it destroys every ore in the base, which can be up to 275 of those cubes, does that scale? Can I use Inverse Square Law for it?

Terms such HP and Damage do not means much if the game does not elaborate, they vary from game to game, and can mean anything between physical punishment to ability to avoid real damage (in case of HP, see this example so you can have an idea). They're what we call abstractions.

If an attack that is supposed to cause real damage but in game does not cause damage, and the game does not elaborate on why it does not cause damage, then it can't be scaled.

Terms such HP and Damage do not means much if the game does not elaborate, they vary from game to game, and can mean anything between physical punishment to ability to avoid real damage (in case of HP, see this example so you can have an idea). They're what we call abstractions.
Does it count as durability if the armors in the game give you more HP instead of some kind of defense points?

Back