• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should we revise OFF?

I looked at a few pages for OFF characters and I was struck with incredulity. Now don't get me wrong, OFF is an excellent game with excellent characters and an excellent story and an excellent artstyle... I could not run out of praise for OFF. However, Batter? 4-B? Really? Put on your seatbelts because you'll be entering my unreadable labyrinth of parenthetic comments inside parenthetic comments and bad hierarchical formatting.

It seems like the characters are overtiered (in my opinion) because of this post which seems pretty dubious since OFF's physics is fundamentally and noticeably different from our normal reality's physics (theres flying whales for god's sake). All of my objections are on a comment on the aforementioned post and I will not reiterate them here.

There's also some more minor details about some of the characters that seem inaccurate.

In general, anything about Spatial, Soul (except for the Queen, Just because you can smack ghosts in the face with a bat doesn't mean you have Soul Manipulation), Time (there is no Time Manipulation ingame (This seems to come from the attack names Minute/Hour Hand. These probably aren't Time Manipulation, because official art (it's the first thing you see on the page for Dedan for god's sake) shows him using Sweep Hand as a physical attack, which in turn implies Minute/Hour Hand are physical attacks. Again, it's quite vague as the attack names are pretty weird)), Light (except for maybe the Batter since some of his attacks involve photography), Conceptual (don't even know where this comes from), Energy (see Conceptual Manipulation), Matter (See Energy Manipulation), and Void Manipulation (See Matter Manipulation) are dubious. Also anything involving FTL and Star level Attack Potency due to creating Zones are dubious as well. (See my comment in the post I linked before.) Turns out, you shouldn't base feats on vague attack names.

Sugar

Electricity Manipulation
- I can only assume this comes from the fact she can paralyze the Batter, but even in real life, you don't need to electrocute someone to paralyze them.

The Batter

Chain Manipulation
- This seems to be based on the fact that the Batter has Alpha has attacks called Saturated/Converted/Long/Entire Chain. Chain here, is actually a mistranslation of "string" in the programming sense.

Conceptual Manipulation - See Sugar.

Shapeshifting and Body Control - This is from concept art showing him stretching and stuff. Concept art also shows Zacharie with a sword and wings which is not considered canon. (Now before you go on criticizing me about complaining about using art to decide details, all of the art I reference was created after OFF was finished.)

The Quee

Nothing wrong here except for the general cases I mentioned above.

Enoch

Created Sugar - He didn't. He mentioned that he would bake cakes for Hugo (this is from one of the more metaphorical scenes, but that scene is a memory from Hugo), implying sugar already existed, but only got halfway, making Sugar. (It's possible that the Sugar he made isn't actual sugar though, in which case, he did make a new element, but Elsen (the only ones shown eating Sugar besides, well, Sugar) are somewhat different from normal humans so it's sort of vague.)

Japhet

Soul Manipulation
- I mention this because he couldn't even control the spectres ingame.

Deda

The Judge

TL;DR Turns out basing feats from an incredibly surreal game on attack names and real life physics is a bad idea and will probably end up overtiering it's characters.

Back