• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should the yield of simultaneous explosions (close to each other), scale to a character.

So currently I know we don’t treat it this way despite calc members agreeing with a Rwby calc we should do it this way, so let’s make it an official rule / ruling. Should two explosives, preferably like next to each other, exploding simultaneous have their energy combined for the yield the character scales to. Like if a box of grenades instantly all detonates in a characters face. I think I know what the answer will be, but I want it to be officially put down here rather than being from person to person.

Context is always important in cases like this, in the case presented above the discussion is about the yield of one suitcase of explosives being rated as 8-A in explosives yield when the case contains 27~36 explosives with only 9 of them being used to give the suitcase of explosives a combined yield of 8-A

I've explained myself that this it how explosives work and that if I've got ten 20 gram explosives in one small suitcase and I blow it up that's gonna explode with the equivalent of 200gram explosive. they aren't like separated from each other by like a meter or anything, its like a regular suitcase and they're probably 20cm away from each other tops with a case full of like 27~36 explosives and we're only accounting for 9 of them in this small case exploding

Yeah I was trying to make it clear the explosives should be stupidly close. I don’t mean for like distance, so purely for if the explosives are like touching each other, pretty much the queen lancer feat to a tee, what does our calc members think. I want other to comment their opinions. So to clarify, like optimal conditions, should the two explosions scale? I want to focus on that part.

Yeah, if it's like a pile of chemical explosives (or similar) then combining the yield is fine (outside of extreme circumstances). Anything else would run into subdivision arguments (a stick of dynamite exploding is just two half sticks of dynamite exploding).

This of course doesn't impact the general considerations regarding attack combinations.

Yeah, if it's like a pile of chemical explosives (or similar) then combining the yield is fine (outside of extreme circumstances). Anything else would run into subdivision arguments (a stick of dynamite exploding is just two half sticks of dynamite exploding).

This of course doesn't impact the general considerations regarding attack combinations.
Ywag It's like a multiple sticks of dynamite tied together basically

Personally? If the resulting explosion IS the result of all the explosive devices going off at once, then yes, you should 100% calculate the yield of the explosion as the total of said explosives. The reason I say this is the explosion isn't the result of the devices, but rather the materials going off. Five kilograms of TNT in one package is going to be the same as five kilograms of TNT in five 1-kg packages. They're just 5 kg of TNT.

Back