• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Samus Aran Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theglassman12

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
So I've looked through Samus's profile, and I believe that there's some changes that should be made. The abilities she should gain are the following:

Resistance to sub-zero temperatures (can walk into sub-zero areas in her varia fusion suit ). Some of you might say, "but it just says extreme temperatures, that doesn't mean she can be resistant to sub-zero temperatures since the Varia suit has been shown time and time again to only protect her from extreme heat." Well in this game, she has ran into sub-zero areas, as shown here , and she's not affected by the cold due to her varia suit upgrade.

Absorption of parasites is her next ability due to the fusion suit having metroid DNA, and throughout the entirety of fusion, she absorbs the parasites to either gain health, or gain an ability they stole.

In terms of her weaknesses, both of her weaknesses (her losing her upgrades in the beginning of her missions, and her PTSD with Ridley) should be removed because:

1. The first one is a game mechanic that occurs in every metroid game, and isn't really a valid argument to use during a vs match, and 2. Her PTSD with Ridley is one of the biggest examples of PIS in gaming since, as many of you who are fans of the metroid franchise should know, Samus has fought Ridley numerous times in the past and she came out perfectly ok in terms of her mental health. Even if you use the metroid zero mission manga as source for her PTSD, she quickly got her shit together and destroyed Ridley in the end, and if you are going to use the claim that the Prime games aren't canon according to Other M, she's still beaten Ridley more than once without any traumatic moments in Zero Mission, and Super.

Instead, her weakness should be that she's weak to Ice-based attacks in her standard fusion suit (until she gains the varia suit upgrade, which mitigates the weakness to an extent since she was able to fight off the SA-X in the end of the game, who would usually kill her in a few shots due to her being part metroid.)

1. Okay

2. Not sure if Parasite absorption would be correct, it seems restricted primarily to the X.

3. Yeah, they probably should be removed. That said, the fusion suit is not part of her profile right now, so not sure if that needs to be added.

SomebodyData said:
the fusion suit is not part of her profile right now, so not sure if that needs to be added.
I brought up the fusion suit's weakness because there was an entire blog showing off her entire collection of suits in her profile.

Ah, yeah, its much more to organize the suits to scale to other creatures, no one for the most part actually uses it for Samus

Why should PTSD for Ridley be removed as a weakness? Yes the Ridley freakout was really stupid and bad in Other M, but it's my understanding that you can't get rid of PTSD. You live with it, and if Samus goes up against some sort of telepath or something that could bring that up and use it against her. Other than the PTSD thing, Samus doesn't have anything that could be considered a weakness of some sort, Ridley thing is the only thing notable. Why not list the PTSD thing since it;s the only exploitable/weakness that Samus has? I will agree with Samus being weak to ice in her basic Fusion Suit only.

You don't "get over" PTSD like a kid gets over his mom telling him "no." If you want to get technical, one of the unlockable images in Metroid Fusion show Samus reminiscing on the Pirate attack on K-2L, so even at the end of the Metroid timeline it's obvious the attack and Ridley still effect her, even if she can power through it.

Well tell that to Samus, who got over it.

And? What, it obviously effected her yeah, what's that gotta do with anything?

Vegeta still thinks and wants to cave Frieza and his skull in for destroying his home, of course you're gonna think on itbabd not just firget it happened, diesnt mean you're gonna get crippled at the mention or thought.

You can't like... completely get over PTSD, but you can certainly live mostly normally and respond more healthily and normally to things that would set you off before. It should be removed, it has no reason to be there and is inconsistent with everything else Samus does.

Don't derail the thread with this, anyways.

Resistance to subzero stuff is fine, parasite absorption isn't for previously established reasons, and her Fusion suit should be weak to ice stuff.

TheAccursedHunter01 said:
it's obvious the attack and Ridley still effect her, even if she can power through it.
Yeah, that event Totally affected her, right? Like when she fought an X-Parasite clone of Ridley, she was clearly shook by it. It's not like she responded by killing the imposter the moment it appeared and proceeded to take its ability shortly after killing it and went on with her mission in mind.

Well she still does have some PTSD with Ridley do to Ridley murdering her parents when she was only 3. Other M's portrayal of it was obviously exaggerated; she obviously doesn't piss herself or anything over Ridley, but Ridley is the one enemy Samus fears facing. Ridley is to Samus what Doomsday is to Superman basically. Pretty much every soldier in the real world experiences PTSD when they kill on the battlefield; the only exceptions are pretty much obvious sociopaths.

Edit: I thought resistance to sub-zero temperatures was already on her profile.

And like I said, she doesn't get affected by the PTSD at all when she fought Ridley in the prime games, super, and zero mission. Also it's said that those with mind power can abuse this, which is rendered moot by samus being resistant to mind manipulation.

Oh yeah, I agree to remove the weakness about enemies with mind manipulation being able to take advantage of that to be removed.

It's not necessarily that she lost, it is more that she can overcome it whenever it appears to the point that it doesn't even matter anymore. (With the exception of one PIS moment)

Yeah, let's nix those weaknesses. The notion of messing with the mind of someone who had a tramatic experience in the past being something to put on pages is a bad precedent in my eyes. I mean, mind hax should be a problem by itself, anyway. I'm inclined to nix the other weakness, losing all her upgrades, for the most part, but there may be a case for elecctromagnetic pulses casing that effect since MP1's opening level had something like that happen and MP2 had Samus go through some sort of strange storm. This may merit investigation, but I'd be a-ok with just getting rid of that weakness for now.

The EMP turns off Aeon for about 5-10 seconds. Before the suit fixes itself.

Beeam, missiles, Space jump, screw attack, everything else is uneffected.

(Missiles are apparently created via taking in chemical components from the atmosphere and making them on the spot anywat).

Follow Doctor Freeman said:
I'm inclined to nix the other weakness, losing all her upgrades, for the most part, but there may be a case for elecctromagnetic pulses casing that effect since MP1's opening level had something like that happen and MP2 had Samus go through some sort of strange storm.
In MP2, the ing stole her equipment.

The ones approved by SomebodyData and Promestein can probably be added.

Leave closing threads to the staff. You cannot do so, only remove them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back