• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question on how to handle RPG Protagonist.

Amelia_Lonelyheart

Luckiest Lady in the Land
She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
Hello everyone. So in my spare time I've been playing a game called Phantasy Star Universe. It's a very large-scale RPG that boast an utterly massive amount of weaponry and armor for the player to use. Each weapon and armor has a small snippet of lore that describes the weapon. As such, several of these weapons have feats or unique abilities, for example:

The "Ely Sion" has the descprtion of:

The ultimate long sword that is part of Gurhal legend. It is said to have the power to cleave even planets in two.

And the "Soul Banisher" can do the following:

A cursed sickle said to harvest souls. It will even turn on its master, slowly devouring them, body and soul.

A big draw of the game is the fact that the hero can use any of these weapons they desire. But at the same time, they're generally limited to about 10 weapons at once (maybe gameplay mechanic).

Basically, my question is if we give the hero a composite arsenal, but state that certain feats or skills are tied to certain pieces of gear (I.E: Soul Manipulation with the Soul Banisher), or do we limit to strictly weaponry they've used in story?

What a coincidence, I'm working on an RPGverse too. Though, not as strong as planet-cleavers like yours.

Anyways, preferably, we go by lore first and foremost. Maybe link them to the list of weapons in the game that Character X can wield with descriptions for each one.

The character's AP remains the same, but the weapons have their own AP, perhaps?

Gemmysaur said:
The character's AP remains the same, but the weapons have their own AP, perhaps?
Agreed, unless the characters take a hit from a weapon of equal power, that is. Though, I was moreso asking if it would be preferable to say the main character has access to those weaponry, and has certain abilities locked to them (A few weapons grant Soul Manipulation and Gravity Manipulation for example).

I'd think they'd be granted such weapons iff allowed in the stipulations for a versus match as it is no more different than say, Batman with the Hellbat armor, Old King Thor with the All-Black the Necrosword and Sasuke with 9 Bijuu chakra. Only, there are more options available.

TL;DR, versus stipulations is key imo.

Back