• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about what is considered 'outer space'

Status
Not open for further replies.

StretchSebe

They/Them
Outer space.

What does distance does the wiki generally consider 'outer space' when it comes to things beyond the The Kármán line (100m)? From outside the solar system? The galaxy?

There are many fictions that state things come from outer space, though I have an example. Vague on specifics, this statement from a game about a particularly important event goes:

"Breaking news! A giant unidentified object has appeared out of nowhere in outerspace. And it is set to collide with our planet. Any moment now, it will enter our atmosphere and likely cause unprecedented destruction."

So, what would it mean for an object to come from 'outer space,' and/or what would it mean for an object that has 'appeared out of nowhere in outerspace' in terms of distance?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there’s not really a good answer for that. We’re constantly finding more near earth objects. For instance, going by their near-Earth asteroid discovery charts, in the past 2 weeks, NASA’s found 14 near Earth asteroids larger than 140m, and just this year they’ve found 2 asteroids larger than 1km.
So I believe all we can really say for certain is that it’s beyond 100 km.

Unfortunately, there’s not really a good answer for that. We’re constantly finding more near earth objects. For instance, going by their near-Earth asteroid discovery charts, in the past 2 weeks, NASA’s found 14 near Earth asteroids larger than 140m, and just this year they’ve found 2 asteroids larger than 1km.
So I believe all we can really say for certain is that it’s beyond 100 km.
I get that the only certain thing is it's more than 100 km. I prefaced with that.

Has the statement (or something similar) 'coming from outer space' never been given an average, or acceptable distance if not defined explicitly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back