• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about Speed and Striking Strength

Elizio33

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I would like to know how fast would one need to be to pass through targets without harm by vibrating their molecules and create massive tornadoes by running around a target? And I would also like to know if someone (Human size) is strong enough to lift and throw a rock ten times its own size, and has the speed that I described in the first part of my question, What would be the strength of his blows combined at that speed? Thank you!

On the speed component, the things you mentioned never actually happen in reality, so they're virtually unquantifiable.

As for the strength feat, it is actually possible for a human to do such a thing thanks to the flight or fight response, but doing so would shred the muscle fibers used to accomplish it as our physiological limiters are in place to keep us from harming ourselves in such away. This would be considered a Class 1 Lifting Strength feat if done with only minor or moderate effort.

It should be noted that Lifting Strength, while often coinciding with Striking Strength, is not always directly related to it in fiction. As a result, we cannot correlate them in the way you've described. The same goes for speed.

There's a equation that show us the work (joules) used to throw something, aswell like the force used to do so, but I don't remember it right now

Reppuzan said:
On the speed component, the things you mentioned never actually happen in reality, so they're virtually unquantifiable.
As for the strength feat, it is actually possible for a human to do such a thing thanks to the flight or fight response, but doing so would shred the muscle fibers used to accomplish it as our physiological limiters are in place to keep us from harming ourselves in such away. This would be considered a Class 1 Lifting Strength feat if done with only minor or moderate effort.

It should be noted that Lifting Strength, while often coinciding with Striking Strength, is not always directly related to it in fiction. As a result, we cannot correlate them in the way you've described. The same goes for speed.
There is no equivalent to this speed? I always thought that this speed is similar to the speed of light maybe a bit faster?

@Elizio The speed of light cannot be used for movement calcs since physics break down around there according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

Who is this character exactly?

I got it, the work needed to throw is m/2*v^2*(1+M/(3*m)), but only works for a throwing mass between 0.05 - 0.73 kg; also, throwing a rock like 10 times bigger than a human would be Class 5 (2.24 tons)

Elizio33 said:
I would like to know how fast would one need to be to pass through targets without harm by vibrating their molecules and create massive tornadoes by running around a target? And I would also like to know if someone (Human size) is strong enough to lift and throw a rock ten times its own size, and has the speed that I described in the first part of my question, What would be the strength of his blows combined at that speed? Thank you!
Depends on story.

For example in The Flash tv show Barry was around mach 2 and he learned to phazing

and he made tornado with just 600-700mph

Antoniofer said:
I got it, the work needed to throw is m/2*v^2*(1+M/(3*m)), but only works for a throwing mass between 0.05 - 0.73 kg; also, throwing a rock like 10 times bigger than a human would be Class 5 (2.24 tons)
Which circumstances does that formula consider?

It basically is KE of the object + something depended on the KE, the mass of the object and "M" (whatever "M" is)

Basically it seems like it considers energy being lost somewhere due to... something? (and because of that having to be added to the necessary energy to throw)

When I calculate throwing I usually just grab myself some trajectory calculator (since I am too lazy for using the motion equations) and then do the KE of the object (you know, since the work necessary is the difference between the energy states of the object). Not considering friction (as usual) or energy loss due to the propelling mechanism that should be correct, I think...

yep, its a document about pitching mechanic, don't remember where I found it but I have it saved in my PC; M is the mass of the arm (hand+forearm) and m the mass of the object

Antoniofer said:
Thanks

Hmm... I see, they basically include the KE of the arm into the total. For great weight not relevant, but should technically also work for mass greater than 0.73 kg.

Maybe could be useful to use that formula, is more diectly related the the AP of the character than the KE of the throwing object. But welp,I'm missing to point a little, I think that the question from OP has been answered, at least half of it

Back