• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Inconsistencies

Whoo boy... Well, no better time than the present.

It's simple to say, there are quite a few inconsistencies within the profiles of the Pokémo verse. I've only focused on Gen 1 for this, as there's just way too many profiles to go through.

This started as just wanting to ask about the Moves, but I found some other things that I wanted to ask about.

Evolutions
Some Pokemon have their full evolution lines. Some Pokemon only have the final evolution. Magikarp/Gyarados and the Eeveelutions are completely different profiles (I understand the reasoning why; just pointing out that they are)

Regional Variants
I know it was stated somewhere by a staff that the Regional Variants should be separate profiles. Regardless of what the final ruling is, here's the current placements of the profiles.

On Original's Profile

Incomplete Profile

• Alolan Dugtrio (Has an image and its ability is listed on the original's profile, but has no other presence or information)
Separate Profile

Lacks Profile

Pokemon Moves
From my understanding, the moves currently allowed for the profile pages are all Level-Up Moves, Egg Moves, Special Moves, TCG Moves, Dream World Moves, Moves from specific side games (Go, XD: Gale of Darkness, etc.), Z-Moves, and Gigantamax Moves, as well as IQ Skills. Some Pokemon have them. Most do not.

Move Range
Don't really know where these numbers came from, and I'm not sure if I'm just missing a thread that explains this, but it feels off that first and second stage Pokemon (if not the final evolution) have hundreds of meters while third stage Pokemon jump to tens of kilometers. Even if they're stronger, why the massive jump? But even then, Butterfree and Beedrill are Hundreds of Meters. Most pokemon are inconsistent as well, with some Final Evos being Hundreds of Meters while others are Tens of Kilometers. Single stage Pokémon are also inconsistent (Lapras, Heracross, and Mawile).

Caterpie and Metapod should be Several Meters with String Shot.

Skarmory, Melta, and I'm sure several others, are missing their ranged moves altogether.

Baby Pokemon are weaker, yes, but why only Extended Melee range? Pichu, I KNOW, has higher range than this.

I know Unow is a weak Pokemon individually, but shouldn't they be Hundreds of Meters like most weak Pokemon? I don't see why their Hidden Power is that much lesser than anyone else's.

And THEN you have the legendaries.

. . .

DEAR CHRIST, what's with the usage of "certain moves of various types" in almost every profile?? They're not even used to explain the same ranges! Birds and Dogs are Hundreds of Kilometers, Jirachi and Regis are Thousands, Kyogre and Groudo are Thousands but jump to Planetary as Primals with no explanation (although I would have thought they'd simply be planetary by default), Rayquaza and Deoxys are just Planetary by default, Shaymi and Manaphy drop back to Hundreds but Heatra is Thousands, Keldeo for some reason jumps to Planetary in Resolute Forme, Genesect and Magearna are Planetary... It just goes on and on.

Also, not sure where Low-Multiversal teleportation for Mewtwo came from, but not gonna question it as it's probably from the manga, which I haven't read.

Scaling
Beedrill is completely scaled to second-stage evolutions (and as a result Butterfree), despite being a third-stage pokemon.

Formatting
This is really just a lot of minute point, but ones that should still be brought up.

Some Pokemon are named/listed by their pre-evolutions, others are the final evolutions.

It's about half-and-half on which profiles do and do not have shiny images.

Some profiles link to abilities for types, some just list the abilities without naming the type, some list more abilities then others (mainly with Ghost type), and some don't link to abilities at all.

Some profiles list all moves (level up, TMs, egg moves, TCG, etc.), some only list a few moves, and some list no moves at all.

Pokemon whose Intelligence is based on being a born battler is written VERY differently

Other Minor Notes
A few Pokémon are missing Small Size (Type 1 or other)

Several Pokemon on the verse page are out of order, assuming they're meant to be in order of Pokedex number.

Most of this is just variation. The Pokemon profiles are written by multiple people, some of which are better at it than others. Mamoswine and Kabutops absolutely should have keys for their weaker evolutions, but don't, because whoever wrote them neglected to make them.

Some regulations on Pokemon profiles to prevent this from happening, as well as to outline exactly what to put in a profile, would be nice.

I, for one, think either only final evolutions (barring special cases like Magikarp or Pikachu) should be allowed to have profiles, or all Pokemon profiles should be balkanized. Lillipup have been a Stoutland profile, Taillow should have been a Swellow profile, Wingull should have been a Pelipper profile, etcetera, etcetera.

I'm aware that it mainly comes down to who wrote which profiles. I only bring it up because it should be discussed.

Evolutions, missing moves and missing profiles are just due to us not getting around to them yet. And there are more fundamental issues (e.g. outdated scaling/justifications, proper profile formatting) that I think should be addressed before adding more profiles.

Regional variants should be separate profiles, though I'm neutral on either, as long as we're consistent.

Caterpie is a very weak first stage Pokemon and Metapod isn't any stronger. Hence why Butterfree is only High 7-C. Same with several other early bug types.

The examples you mentioned can be adjusted, and babies imo should get tens of metres. I'm sure I can find at least a couple instances of this. Fully evolved Pokemon have numerous range feats in the kilometres, which is why they get that rating. I can give you a list of all the range feats I've found for fully evolved Pokemon if you want.

I don't get some of your formatting issues.

Evolutions, missing moves and missing profiles are just due to us not getting around to them yet. And there are more fundamental issues (e.g. outdated scaling/justifications, proper profile formatting) that I think should be addressed before adding more profiles.

I understand there are more crucial issues. I just brought this up because at some point it's worth discussion.

Regional variants should be separate profiles, though I'm neutral on either, as long as we're consistent.

I can work on this after Christmas. Though a few Pokémon with additional evos via Galar need to be discussed for scaling.

Caterpie is a very weak first stage Pokemon and Metapod isn't any stronger. Hence why Butterfree is only High 7-C. Same with several other early bug types.

I dunno. Still seems weird, but I guess I can understand the fodder argument.

The examples you mentioned can be adjusted, and babies imo should get tens of metres. I'm sure I can find at least a couple instances of this. Fully evolved Pokemon have numerous range feats in the kilometres, which is why they get that rating. I can give you a list of all the range feats I've found for fully evolved Pokemon if you want.

Okay, but I still don't understand why some final evos/single stage are Tens of Kilometers and others are only Hundreds of Meters. That's a massive jump.

I don't get some of your formatting issues.

They're just some minor stuff that aren't important.

I know some of the non-final stage profile names are based off which evo is most well known or most liked (i.e. Pikachu, [[Clefairy], and Togepi), but Pokémon like Caterpie and Beedrill are different for no reason.

Shiny images are also not incredibly important. Again, just bringing it up.

Typing and their associated abilities is also something that I'm just bringing up. I don't know which way of doing it is better since some types (i.e. psychic and ghost) can be a bit vague or widespread in which abilities they encompass. (Should also be noted that Houndoom straight up lists no resistances in any way)

"Okay, but I still don't understand why some final evos/single stage are Tens of Kilometers and others are only Hundreds of Meters. That's a massive jump."

Because second stage Pokemon don't have the feats. Third stage Pokemon do.

Back