• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

I believe they are more so aligned with Social Influencing cause those moves are not supernaturally manipulating emotions, unlike something like G-Max Cuddle.

I'm not 100% sure if the game Swift is enough to qualify for Danmaku.
Fair. May require checking animations to check which, if any, qualify.
Added it under stat amplification.
Stat Amplification.... I mean, I guess in a way it does increase the user's power for exclusively the useage & duration of Flail?
But okay.
I don't think Aurora Beam being rainbow is enough for light manip.
Most recent description for the move is:
"The target is hit with a rainbow-colored beam. This may also lower the target's Attack stat."
IIRC, stuff that changes the colors of things is Light Manipulation because what color things appear as is a product of light.
But I can understand it being dubious because it's only its own colouration.

Healing &/or Low Regeneration for Vaporeon via Aqua Ring?
Limited Earth Manipulation via Muddy Water?

I forget what we put Haze & Mist as? Smoke Manipulation since the page says "Note: This power also includes characters that can manipulate vapor."?
Its Japanese name refers to it as Black Mist & its treated like a counterpart to the move Mist, which is White Mist originally, IIRC.
Poison Manipulation & Smoke Manipulation because Smog & Smokescreen?

Why do Leafeon, Glaceon & Sylveon's tabbers come before Espeon & Umbreon's?

Espeon seems to be missing a Precognition feat:

YIts fur is so sensitive, it can feel minute shifts in the air and predict the weather...and its foes' thoughts.
(IDK how you sense movements or thoughts by having super sensitive fur, but monsters are weird, I guess.)
ScarletThe tip of its forked tail quivers when it is predicting its opponent’s next move.
Another detail to its Precognition.

Not sure what the first part of this is:
Ultra MoonPsychic power builds up in the orb on its forehead as it bathes in the sunshine. Espeon is not good at battling at night.
Absorption? Reactive Power Level?
Likely also worth mentioning in weaknesses section.

Limited Mind Manipulation because self Mind Manipulation via Psych Up?
Light Manipulation via Morning Sun?

Also, just noticed that as of Gen VIII, Mud-Slap is an Egg Move for the Eevee line, so Limited Earth Manipulation, yay?

Do we qualify Confuse Ray as Light Manipulation? For that matter, Psybeam is described as a "peculiar ray", so what about that?

Fragrance Manipulation for Leafeon:
MoonThe younger they are, the more they smell like fresh grass. With age, their fragrance takes on the odor of fallen leaves.
SwordGalarians favor the distinctive aroma that drifts from this Pokémon's leaves. There's a popular perfume made using that scent.

A note for Flareon & Glaceon is that Pokedex entries originally use Celsius, & tend to go for multiples of 10. With Glaceon, its relevant temperature is -10 Celsius.

Sylveon also has Light Manipulation via Light Screen. Which is likely also Barrier Creation as its described as creating "a wondrous wall of light". (& in Gen 8 & 9 animations, shows multiple walls being made.)

(Limited) Aura for Sylveon maybe?

Do we have anything to classify Quick Attack & Last Resort as?
Also, question: Disarming Voice.

Letting out a charming cry, the user does emotional damage to opposing Pokémon. This attack never misses.

Damaging Empathic Manipulation &/or Mind Manipulation? Durability Negation?

What do we put Misty Terrain as, seeing as it prevents Status Effect Inflicting to any in the AoE that are grounded? Limited Power Nullification?

I think that's all for now.

Sigh...
9316716-img_20240330_131417.jpg

Really ? Can this get any worse ? Please give me an example
There is a recently uploaded Youtube series covering the topic for every species of Pokemon. Going in National Dex order, dozens of species at a time.

The catch is that from what I've seen (Both on Youtube, & Twitch, where the author records stuff as he & his peers go over mons.) is a clear troll, taking a joking, callous approach to the topic. As in, seems to like Pokemon fans getting upset, even if he acts all jolly; Someone who enjoys getting negative reactions out of others is DEFINITIVELY a troll.
Using facetious logic -Like having biases based on mass or comparison to similar real world species or outright joke logic- & sophistry, & I'm VERY sure he's biased towards the lions. Based on his Twitch about, he doesn't even play Pokemon.
& his means of going over each species is going onto the official Pokemon website & going 1 species at a time, meaning he only checks 1 or 2 Pokedex entries per species.

& you don't feed trolls. Otherwise, they keep heckling & laughing AT -Not laughing WITH but AT- people. "Do not engage".

Which is why I'm hesitant to give you the source. Engaging with trolls is a good way to get upset, & they're a Youtuber, meaning engagement helps them, & arguably makes them profit.

If you seek this out on your own, it's at your own risk.

Apologies if I've given you hazardous knowledge. Hopefully this post is appreciable despite that.

DAY 1 OF THE EUROPEAN INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS HAS BEGUN!!!
THE FIRST MATCH IS STARTING AS I TYPE THIS!

YOUTUBE STREAM LINK
TWITCH STREAM LINK
(Youtube stream's chat is disabled, but you can popout Twitch chat to use Twitch chat while watching on YT for rewinding, speed up, etc.)

TOURNAMENT BRACKET LISTINGS (As regularly linked to by Nightbot in the official Pokemon Twitch channel's chat.)

Unlike most VGC events, this is 3 days long! Friday's got matches!
Enjoy!

Pokemon Horizons Manga :

9336021-20240416_124241.jpg

9336025-20240416_124800.jpg
Looks like there's a storm creation feat, &/or a cloud parting feat.
Sadly, likely below Rayquaza's assessed paygrade here. At least, for the mainline games anyway.

What about the range, though?
Could the lighthouse &/or Rayquaza be used to gauge it?
Albeit, it seems like it may be small if it's meant to be impressive, unless we're supposed to be generous with the interpretation of the sky.
It might look better if the distance from the clouds of the projectiles were visible.
May also provide speed values if using an assumed timeframe is acceptable, but unsure what assumptions we could use for that.

If we don't assume stats carry over between continuities, then this could be a very valuable page for this Rayquaza.

Looks like there's a storm creation feat, &/or a cloud parting feat.
Sadly, likely below Rayquaza's assessed paygrade here. At least, for the mainline games anyway.

What about the range, though?
Could the lighthouse &/or Rayquaza be used to gauge it?
Albeit, it seems like it may be small if it's meant to be impressive, unless we're supposed to be generous with the interpretation of the sky.
It might look better if the distance from the clouds of the projectiles were visible.
May also provide speed values if using an assumed timeframe is acceptable, but unsure what assumptions we could use for that.

If we don't assume stats carry over between continuities, then this could be a very valuable page for this Rayquaza.
Do we assume that Horizons takes place in the same universe as Ash ?

Do we assume that Horizons takes place in the same universe as Ash ?
Looking up Ash on Bulbapedia & CTRL+F-ing "Horizons", I found this quote, by Bulbapedia itself (As opposed to in a more definitive, official context like TPCI's own words.) on the page:
What seems to be the context in the article:

So, is this really the end of Ash? Will we see him reappear at some point?

Gose
: We’ve said farewell. Ash is still in the world. Anything is possible, I suppose. In the world of Pokémon, there’s so many possibilities.

Okiura: We hope Ash and Pikachu continue in their journey. Their journey is ongoing somewhere in the Pokémon world. It’s totally up to our fans’ imagination. For the time being, we would love to focus on the new story of the Liko and Roy. “Horizons” invites a new beginning.

Should we take this as meaning Ash is in the world of Pokemon Horizons?
I mean, 1 of the official saids he's still in the world, but the other seems to have said how Ash's journey is ongoing is totally up to fans' imagination.

Looking up Ash on Bulbapedia & CTRL+F-ing "Horizons", I found this quote, by Bulbapedia itself (As opposed to in a more definitive, official context like TPCI's own words.) on the page:
What seems to be the context in the article:

So, is this really the end of Ash? Will we see him reappear at some point?

Gose
: We’ve said farewell. Ash is still in the world. Anything is possible, I suppose. In the world of Pokémon, there’s so many possibilities.

Okiura: We hope Ash and Pikachu continue in their journey. Their journey is ongoing somewhere in the Pokémon world. It’s totally up to our fans’ imagination. For the time being, we would love to focus on the new story of the Liko and Roy. “Horizons” invites a new beginning.

Should we take this as meaning Ash is in the world of Pokemon Horizons?
I mean, 1 of the official saids he's still in the world, but the other seems to have said how Ash's journey is ongoing is totally up to fans' imagination.
I see, tbh I also think Ash is coming back but not as a protagonist anymore, if we assume he exists in HZ then he's probably coming back as a background character.

Last edited:
Lol, really? I guess that was a risk with Liko since they intentionally seemed to make her as opposite as possible to avoid just repeating Ash. But yeah, I can see the risk of making her too passive or too low key with her personality. But even Roy? he seemed a lot more lively.

What about the story itself? I know the basic gist is that Liko has this pendant an evil team wants and she's actually looking for her dream and all. Is it interesting?
Liko improved now, she's now acting like an actual Pokemon trainer (tho it took her 45 episodes to make up her mind)

Liko improved now, she's now acting like an actual Pokemon trainer (tho it took her 45 episodes to make up her mind)
She's doing the gym challenge part of the treasure hunt, right? She's currently travelling with Roy and Dot from what I got, are they tagging along or are they doing their own quests?

I find it a bit amusing how they went back to the basics, lol. Though my guess it will be an arc instead of a series spanning story.

Unrelated to anything, was using Pokemon home to retrieve some Pokemon from my 3DS and decided to replay the final parts of Pokemon Sun. I know the game is divisive and all, but I am in that subset of weirdoes that play Pokemon for the plot. Boy, that ending still hits hard, or maybe I'm just nostalgic for this game (it's already 8 years old, damn), cheesy as it may be.

Last edited:
Back