• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pixels should not be used for calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pixels should not be used for calculations, this is because the author did not state, for example, that 1 pixel is equivalent to 1 km. So, it would be highly false. It would be correct if the author specifies, for instance, that 1 pixel is equivalent to 1 km.

9315d2d58e550206316650b59453bb01f36fb8fc0a2b3cce62bd700cc80ed084_1.jpg

Pixels should not be used for calculations, this is because the author did not state, for example, that 1 pixel is equivalent to 1 km. So, it would be highly false. It would be correct if the author specifies, for instance, that 1 pixel is equivalent to 1 km.
Ok hol up. How do you expect us to rate the character's stats without pixel scaling

SC, in your all knowing wisdom, do you believe we can reason things abductively? Or do you think we can only conclude things if the author makes a direct statement?

I do agree that pixel scaling is very faulty, the author doesn't really care that much about keeping everything in perfect sizes so there is always error on that, also it's highly inconsistent because if the author makes a character destroy a mountain it would stand to reason that it is a mountain level feat except depending on the pixel scaling can easily vary between town to island level.

SC, in your all knowing wisdom, do you believe we can reason things abductively? Or do you think we can only conclude things if the author makes a direct statement?
Then just don't use it. You using something wrong? Lol. It's a different context, manga differs from map. The author didn't state that their manga has a scale, like 1 pixel being equivalent to 1 km.

Then just don't use it. You using something wrong? Lol. It's a different context, manga differs from map. The author didn't state that their manga has a scale, like 1 pixel being equivalent to 1 km.
This isn’t even related to my question bruv. I asked if you think we can abductively reason, or if you think we can only work off explicitly direct author statements

I do agree that pixel scaling is very faulty, the author doesn't really care that much about keeping everything in perfect sizes so there is always error on that, also it's highly inconsistent because if the author makes a character destroy a mountain it would stand to reason that it is a mountain level feat except depending on the pixel scaling can easily vary between town to island level.
Shining Cross alt account that uses DeepL instead of Google Translate.

"The CGMs who blindly pixel calc, and the mods who couldn't break from that curse, would all barely witness to the naked flesh of the one who was free, to the one who left it all behind and his overwhelming intensity." - Some higher power before sending SC to end blasphemy of calcs

This isn’t even related to my question bruv. I asked if you think we can abductively reason, or if you think we can only work off explicitly direct author statements
What do you mean, for example, the author draws the Earth and the Sun, then you use the distance between the Earth and the Sun in real life and divide it by the pixel distance to get 1 pixel = how many km?

That is also false because the author does not consider the scale where 1 pixel is equal to how many km, he simply draws what looks visually pleasing.

What do you mean, for example, the author draws the Earth and the Sun, then you use the distance between the Earth and the Sun in real life and divide it by the pixel distance to get 1 pixel = how many km?

That is also false because the author does not consider the scale where 1 pixel is equal to how many km, he simply draws what looks visually pleasing.
The author could very well draw Earth and sun as being 10 meters apart

Idgaf about pixels rn. My question is simple: do you think we can abductively reason from information provided by the author, or do you think we can only draw conclusions based on explicit author statements. Put this into ChatGPT to explain it to you

Prove that the author pays attention to the scale of 1 pixel = how many km?

He simply draws, just like how you draw natural landscapes.
IF i was to make a single painting for fun i might even pay attention to the measures and make it to scale, but for a weekly thing very unlikely

All very funny stuff.

Pixel scaling is staying. Because you seem to want an earnest answer, I will refrain from being hilarious for a moment or two to elaborate.

When an author draws something, the scale of that scene is profoundly important. I would wager, in fact, that the sense of scale in any given watched media is given a great deal more thought by the media's creator than its consumers. So, quite frankly, I do think this is a flawed approach fundamentally, as it presumes authors cannot decide the size of anything in their world. Of course they want it to be that size- they made it.

You cannot argue vague sentiments of author whimsy as a policy-altering position. If the individual creating the media didn't want a pixel to be a kilometer, then they would not have portrayed the screen at such a massive scope to make that the most reasonable estimation of the size. We can only work based on what's presented to us, after all: if we declared all policies and methods unusable, simply because maybe the author thinks they messed up, then nobody could parse the wiki or indeed any media: all of it would be rendered nonsensical by ignoring what is and solely paying mind to what might be, otherwise.

I'm closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back