• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
This is something that has intrigued me for quite a while.

Heroic Spirit: A Heroic Spirit is anyone or anything that has engraved itself in the human mind. It has done great deeds that allow it to be immortalized in human legend, even if it never really happened. A servant is formed from the human mind, using the basis of the actual being as the groundwork. There is great debate against what a Heroic Spirit really is... but that is a discussion for another time.

Persona: 'I art Thou... Thou art I...
' - The catchphrase of the Persona Series... but what does it mean exactly? Well, let's start with this. Humanity is connected together through the Collective Unconscious... and from that... Shadows are born. Malevolent thoughts that are untamed and untrained. They wreak havoc upon the tangible world.

Shadows are that which you suppress and do not act upon. You hide those feelings away afraid to confront them or even mention them. So inside the human heart they grow... and the stronger the emotions... the greater the shadow. Oh and when it finally comes to blow... the shadow takes its form from the Sea of Souls. It crawls out as a shadowy mess... but confront it... and you are faced with Heroes, Demons, Gods... those which match your suppressed emotions.

In many regards... the Sea of Souls shares a strong resemblance to the Throne of Heroes... only... the Sea of Souls is far larger and not as limited. Those who have learned to confront their shadows have the potential to summon their tamed shadow... and that is a Persona. The persona can be anything from a god... to a fictitious character. There have been those who have had Cthulu as a persona, though such an entity is rare.

Now let there be one distinction made between Heroic Spirits and Personas.

The Persona summoner and the Persona summoned are the same beings. They are but a persona that the user takes upon themselves, hence the phrase... 'I art Though... Thou art I...'. Unless transplanted, which is rare in itself and almost impossible, a Persona can not rebel against their summoner. It is impossible. There is no feasible way for a Persona to rebel as they were once thoughts tamed.

A Heroic Spirit, despite being shaped by human beliefs, is their own being. They can rebel against those who have summoned them, though at great cost as they can not sustain themselves in a world that has let them go.

So... which is more powerful as a concept?

The Persona summoned from the Sea of Souls, an archetype formed from the Human Collective.

Or the Heroic Spirit made by the human belief in them?

What do you mean by, "the Sea of Souls shares a strong resemblance to the Throne of Heroes... only... the Sea of Souls is far larger and not as limited."

Because the throne isn't exactly stated to be limited in any capacity.

Are you asking if Servants are stronger or are Persona’s?
I’m not sure if this is the question, but if it is, after the current revisions, even the most fodder of Shadows will be Low 2-C, further elevated by a large scaling chain, as there are is clear hierarchy in Shadow’s being superior to one another.

So if it is, by wiki standards, yea.

Nasuverse reaches higher than Persona anyway. (But I've heard Persona may get 2-B, if that's the case, I'm throwing them at post-dowgrade Nasuverse Top Tiers)

Nasuverse reaches higher than Persona anyway. (But I've heard Persona may get 2-B, if that's the case, I'm throwing them at post-dowgrade Nasuverse Top Tiers)
2-B is for now, we’re actually aiming higher, but after the long revisions, we’re gonna take a long break, for supporters & mods.

What matches did you have in particular?

What do you mean by, "the Sea of Souls shares a strong resemblance to the Throne of Heroes... only... the Sea of Souls is far larger and not as limited."

Because the throne isn't exactly stated to be limited in any capacity.
I'm not the most qualified person to answer that question.

Wait Nasu's getting downgraded? NASU VS PERSONA CAN HAPPEN AGAIN? Now I'm really hoping 2-B goes through just to see if those matches would work.

Who's this "we"? I'm satisfied with 2-B. If Tier 1 happens then whatever, but I'm not gonna go outta my way to push for it.
Fair enough, I’ll make one push, but given how weird this sites standards are for immeasurable & infinite and Tier 1 nowadays, if it gets denied then that’s it.

No offense to OP, but it genuinely reads like some kinda edgy RPing or an excuse to fangasm. Or both. Reads like something I would've written up in my high school years, especially since I was a hardcore Nasu fan back then. I don't think OP was really meaning to ask anything specific and just kinda worded the post like a question cuz it sounds cool. Why else would it all be bolded?

No offense to OP, but it genuinely reads like some kinda edgy RPing or an excuse to fangasm. Or both. Reads like something I would've written up in my high school years, especially since I was a hardcore Nasu fan back then. I don't think OP was really meaning to ask anything specific and just kinda worded the post like a question cuz it sounds cool. Why else would it all be bolded?
The bold was an accident as I wrote it in libre office. it's not meant to be a 'fangasm' I am genuinely curious about the difference between heroic spirits and persona. The two are so similar and yet at the same time, vastly different.

It makes me wonder which is more powerful

That makes sense then. Like I said, no offense meant.

In terms of "powerful" as in strength, then Personas are typically stronger than Servants. But it sounds to me like you're comparing Personas to Heroic Spirits instead of Servants. In which case, hell if I know. Afaik there hasn't been any appearance of a "full" Heroic Spirit in current media. Supposedly they're stronger than Grands, since Grand-class Saint Graphs are still only vessels for the HS to occupy, except on a higher order of quality compared to the usual Servant Saint Graph. Taking that into account, then currently, Grand Servants are 2-A, which would make them stronger than pretty much any Persona. I heard Nasu is getting downgraded to 2-B though, so assuming the Persona revisions go through, then they'd be roughly equal in power.

Well, if Nasuverse is finite uncountable too, Persona is going to overpower Nasuverse.

Like I said, I’m potentially bumping them to Tier 1, but not for a while.

Seriously, I don't know whether to be amused or frustrated. Took some time off the site to deal with some issues, and this place is almost just as I remember it.

Like, we need more good in the world right now. Outside of vs threads (and maybe even inside them) where we force them to fight for no reason, why can't we just have more wholesome mind-pictures where they take tea, eat delicious stuff from all the worlds, talk about all their adventures, and generally have a good time together?

56adb5.jpg

back in my day persona capped at 4-A

Back