• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece - Issues with temperature of ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
In this recent recalculation by Kachon123, of Law's feat of lifting mountains of ice into the air with the force of his strike, a new value for the mass of the ice has been found by finding a new size and a new density for the ice.

I want to focus on the density value for the ice.

Density of Ice at 0º: 0.9168 g/cm^3

Density of Ice at -180º: 0.9340 g/cm^3

Rate of Density Increase as Temperature Drops: (0.9340-0.9168)/((-180)-0) = ≈0.0001 g/cm^3 per ºC = ≈0.1 kg / m^3 per ºC

Kuzan’s Ice Temperature (Relative to Akainu’s Magma Heat): -28000º C

Increase of Density: 28000 * 0.1 = 2800 kg/m^3

Density of Kuzan’s Ice: 916.8 + 2800 = 3716.8 kg/m^3

This value for the density is founded on the assumption that Aokiji's ice has a temperature of -28,000 °C.

This is based on the reasoning that Aokiji is comparable to Akainu whose magma has an assumed temperature of at least 28,000 °C.

But the lowest possible temperature, Absolute Zero, has a temperature of -273.15°C. It would not be physically possible for Aokiji's ice to be this cold.

Of course, we deal with fiction and we can index some things on our profiles that could never be possible in reality such as all of our faster than light characters, but I do not think this is a reasonable assumption to make for the calc. Just because we can accept a character having FTL movement speed for example does not mean that we can just use FTL velocities in a kinetic energy calculation. The speed value may be legit, but the calc would not be. So it's not impossible a fictional series to have a temperature lower than -273.15°C, I consider this to be too big an assumption for the calc and it would require a more direct statement.

Moreover, I do not see why would assume that even if Aokiji did create ice with this temperature, that it would necessarily stay this temperature. The battle with Akainu that created this frozen wasteland over half of Punk Hazard took place 2 years before Law's feat. That's a long time for the temperature to have supposedly remained the same. While the climate was altered so that the frozen half of the island remains at subzero temperatures, the ice itself doesn't need to be at -28,000 °C to remain frozen.

Moreover we've seen Aokiji create vast amounts of ice that can be melted by normal ambient temperatures over time such as when he frozen a large section of the sea in chapter 319. His ice is not so extremely cold as the calc proposes.

I don't think that Aokiji and Akainu being equal combatants necessarily means that Aokiji's ice has to be the exact negative value of Akainu's magma's temperature but this thread isn't aimed at that specifically, but about removing this assumption from the calc which uses an unstated temperature value that can't exist.

Yeah I’m aware we stretch things for the sake of fiction not being realistic to physics all the time. However, Damage makes a really good point with the comparison to FTL KE, while fiction may allow sub AZ cold, it’s for the best we don’t use that in our equations for the same premise behind not using 10c in a KE calc.

This is interesting. I asked around before making that assumption just to be sure since like Arc said, it's fiction, and it seemed to be okay to make it, but if it's not allowed then it should definitely be removed.

This is interesting. I asked around before making that assumption just to be sure since like Arc said, it's fiction, and it seemed to be okay to make it, but if it's not allowed then it should definitely be removed.
Would you be willing to make the alterations to your calc blog to use normal ice density?

Just use the density of ice I used in my calc. I think even in mine I used like -50ºc

Absolute Zero ice is more dangerous that anything in that arc. Aokiji could possibly produce absolute zero ice but there's no reason why said absolute zero ice would be the temperature of the ice mountains. Touching absolute zero could produce instant frostbite, especially to the plethora of non-haki users.

It'd counter ridiculous heats, especially the neighboring magma side.

Use something like -50ºc or something, but definitely not anything below absolute zero. Even using absolute zero seems like a stretch

On what planet..? Just assume 28000 degrees celsius is the change in temperature (from 28000 to the 0 degrees needed for water to turn into ice), it's not that hard!

On what planet..? Just assume 28000 degrees celsius is the change in temperature (from 28000 to the 0 degrees needed for water to turn into ice), it's not that hard!
Pardon, but I don't think that's actually relevant to the main issue here, I think you may have misunderstood the OP.

The calc isn't about freezing some 28,000 degrees magma, it's about Aokiji creating some ice and the calc in the OP is assuming a temperature to find a new density for the ice.

All that is required here is using the proper density of ice for the calc.

Personally, I would use just below 0°C for this. Whatever Aokiji's original temperature was, there is little reason to think the mountains still have that same temperature. And, in general, not every large scale feat of an ice user needs to have maximal coldness throughout.

I'll put up a replacement blog later today as Kachon may be busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back