• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Octopath Traveler revisions, II

Stats in general this time around.

I am of the opinion that we can and very much should categorize characters in three "tiers" of sorts, in lack of better terms. My proposal for such tiers would be the following:

Bottom-Tier characters are characters who are combat capable without any notable feats or scaling of their own.
  • A baseline, pretty much.
Middle-Tier characters are characters who are either protagonists or scale to the level of protagonists in one way or another.
  • That said, chapter bosses, except final chapter bosses, shouldn't be considered as middle-tier. 'Cause like, they don't. So,

Chapter one bosses should be scaled as bottom-tiers. Chapter two and three bosses can get an “At least,” but should still be scaled as bottom-tiers.

Exceptions? Yes. Guardian of the First Flame. Other than that? I personally don’t remember any. So if no one wants to argue otherwise, no, not really.

And for the record, I am strictly speaking for OT I in this case. OT II has a little more nuance to it (pretty sure some of the non-final chapter bosses does scale to protagonists on that), but they don't really have profiles, so.
God-Tier characters are characters who are either gods or are comparable to gods.
  • Pretty self-explanatory, yeah.
I'll get to the exact proposals I have for them (save for god-tiers) later, but this covers like 99% of the verse. I can only think of maybe one character who wouldn’t be in either of these, actually.

I’ll just go off of Lightning Feats page,
making muscles of affected beings contract
Lightning magic is the only type that can inherently induce paralysis on others. Not sure what to post as a scan, here is one instance, I guess.
having an (electro)magnetic field
This resembles one, at least.
the character being able to manipulate real electricity or electromagnetism in general
See, within the setting of the verse, magic explicitly has a source, as nothing begets nothing. Following the chain of cause and effect, magic is derived from the six physical elements, which are the source where the power is drawn from.

So yeah. I think that's pretty clear.
being shown to actually move with a speed similar to lightning
if they display power comparable to that of natural lightning, they should be considered to move at a comparable speed. It is required to show that the electricity carries an energy of at least 1.6 billion Joules or a voltage of at least 100 million Volts in order to qualify.
If you look at the battle narration in the Rai Mei fight, an indicator for one of her more powerful moves, “Thunder Thrust,” is: “Thunder roars in the skies above!”. That, in my opinion, fairly well implies that the source for lightning magic is what would be a cloud-to-ground lightning in the first place.

Now, if you’re so far on board with this, I have just the thing to wrap this up. This is evidence that the lightning,
  1. Moves at speeds similar to those of irl lightning. Because from what we know, we can safely conclude she brought that down from the clouds.

2. Displays power comparable to that of irl lightning. It’s not 8-C, but like, it’s easily 9-B+, if not 9-A. And when you consider the energy dispersion of the lightning by the time it hits the ground, I feel this is like, pretty alright, no?
As such, I propose lightning magic should qualify for both Massively Hypersonic+ speeds and Building level AP.

Bottom-Tiers

They should scale to stats of spells. Since magic is like the most common thing around and they regularly tank them, dodge them, and hurt those who can tank them, and so on, instead of vaporizing on the spot. My drafts would be the following:

Attack Potency: Building level (Can harm others with physical attacks who can, in turn, withstand elemental attacks that can vaporize large chunks of walls and output energy comparable to that of natural lightning)

Speed: Massively Hypersonic+ (Can react and dodge lightning magic. Within the setting of the verse, magic explicitly has a source, as nothing begets nothing. Following the chain of cause and effect, magic is derived from the six physical elements, which are the source where the power is drawn from. Which is to say, it moves at speeds comparable to those of natural lightning)
  • I didn't want to just write "can dodge lightning lol" so. Open to suggestions, needless to say.
Lifting Strength: Unknown

And fill the rest based on the individual.

Middle-Tiers

For convenience's sake I've rewrote Guardian of the First Flame's profile here:

• New statistics, abilities, and their justifications across the board.

• It's lacking a few things like "Boost Mode" and "Accelerated Development" in the P&A, it's intentional. Those abilities will be removed from the individual profiles themselves in (probably) the next CRT. Or... the one after that. Or...
And here's Cyrus' profile draft:

• New statistics and their justifications.

• Divided into two keys:

"Chapter Finale" refers to the end of their own storyline, for Cyrus, it'd be the end of chapter 4, exactly this moment. The early/mid-game key, so to speak.

"Journey's End" refers to after the battle against Galdera.

• They now don't have access to advanced jobs in their first key. You can technically get them as early as level 1 and there is nothing implying they didn't have it at that point in time, but like, this is the only way there is any coherent scaling. Y'all have to excuse a little arbitrariness there.

• I've touched the wording here and there and formatting a bit, but nothing added or removed so.
Am I abusing the phrase "in turn"? Shamelessly. Rest will get updated in line with his profile.

Yeah, that's about it.

Back