• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Hey, did you know Blank Period Naruto has Self-Sustenance for surviving on the surface of the Moon? Did you also know that the rest of the Hanabi Rescue Team (Sakura, Hinata, Sai, and Shikamaru) also survived on the surface of the Moon? In fact, Hinata was on the Moon about the same amount of time that Naruto was on the Moon?

Why don't they have Self-Sustenance, too?

Since Naruto has it, we should also give his New Era pals the ability as well.
I've gone loony.

Just for clarification, has the surface of the Moon in Naruto ever been specified in the movie or novels as actually having no atmosphere?

Gonna copy paste my post from the other thread.
Fairly sure it's stated in the Sasuke Retsuden novel that ninja can use their chakra to produce oxygen and KCM Naruto actually breathes in space in the novel.

At least, that's what I've been told before when I brought this up.

Ooh, so we give every Naruto character Self-Sustenance, y'know, with the exception of Might Guy and Rock Lee (haha).
I hate novels. I refuse to read them but they're always adding something to the verse.

Ooh, so we give every Naruto character Self-Sustenance, y'know, with the exception of Might Guy and Rock Lee (haha).
I hate novels. I refuse to read them but they're always adding something to the verse.
Not sure about that, just because it's possible to produce oxygen from chakra doesn't mean every Naruto character is aware of that or knows how to do it.

Personally I think it should stay the way it is, in that, they need to show they're capable of it to get Self-Sustenance, Naruto actually has a feat of doing so, or so I've been told, which is why he has it.

Actually, the fact that shinobi even have the ability to create oxygen with Chakra seems to suggest that they need Chakra to survive, and Naruto would be no different. Naruto in his base form has Self-Sustenance, which he has for surviving on the Moon, but the Moon has an atmosphere—air and sound can be produced there. However, assuming that he does know the oxygen creating technique, then he would get something like Self-Oxygenation.

If Nine-Tails Chakra Mode Naruto did survive in space without the technique as you mentioned, he'd get Self-Sustenance in that form.

I guess you're right in that Self-Sustenance (Type 1) is the ability to survive without oxygen, but according to what I've been told, he's only able to produce oxygen and not actually survive without it (excluding KCM).

Also, I fully agree that the moon has a breathable atmosphere, it's pretty evident.

Lastly, since this thread is about giving Naruto characters Self-Sustenance (Type 1), Obito should have it in his Ten Tail's keys for the same reason that Madara has it.

Yeah

Yall need a page for the common Naruto Shinobi abilities, like the Haki page or Nen.

I can't name 5 people on this wiki who have the energy to go through every Naruto page to add this

Naruto needed Sasuke's chakra to breath, since he couldn't use chakra (basically the plot), but when he gained his powers back, he could breath 200km above the Earth.

Actually, the fact that shinobi even have the ability to create oxygen with Chakra seems to suggest that they need Chakra to survive, and Naruto would be no different. Naruto in his base form has Self-Sustenance, which he has for surviving on the Moon, but the Moon has an atmosphere—air and sound can be produced there. However, assuming that he does know the oxygen creating technique, then he would get something like Self-Oxygenation.

If Nine-Tails Chakra Mode Naruto did survive in space without the technique as you mentioned, he'd get Self-Sustenance in that form.
I mean sound is not a good example especially in almost all fictional verses people can talk on the moon
also Toneri could have created the air

Naruto needed Sasuke's chakra to breath, since he couldn't use chakra (basically the plot), but when he gained his powers back, he could breath 200km above the Earth.
200 km above Earth is into the thermosphere, which would grant the three of them, and their bike, Resistance to Extreme Heat and Cosmic Radiations.
Although, the novel does make the point that without Nine-Tails Chakra Mode, Naruto would be unable to breathe and would die, so I guess?

Also can you explained to me what happened after Naruro Oxygen supply was cut? Is he transformed into KCM?

200 km above Earth is into the thermosphere, which would grant the three of them, and their bike, Resistance to Extreme Heat and Cosmic Radiations.
Although, the novel does make the point that without Nine-Tails Chakra Mode, Naruto would be unable to breathe and would die, so I guess?
It's not without Kurama's Chakra. Naruto simply couldn't use chakra.

In the novel Retsuden, only Naruto has managed to survive without oxygen, and thanks to KM. Neither Sasuke nor any other ninja could survive without oxygen, both Naruto (without chakra) and Sasuke and Sakura had oxygen devices. After Naruto has lost his device, he starts running out of oxygen, and his last breath of oxygen was to scream for Kurama and then break the meteorite with his head. Then, he already without oxygen is covered by the particles and recovers his powers, so he with the MK survives in a place without oxygen.

And there’s also the fact that he save Toneri in a place already well above the supposed atmosphere of the Moon surface (also with KM in use). I believe that it should stay as it is, perhaps a new justification based on the novel retsuden should be applied, but the other characters should not get the same hax, since the novel makes it clear that not even Sasuke would survive without oxygen.

In the novel Retsuden, only Naruto has managed to survive without oxygen, and thanks to KM. Neither Sasuke nor any other ninja could survive without oxygen, both Naruto (without chakra) and Sasuke and Sakura had oxygen devices. After Naruto has lost his device, he starts running out of oxygen, and his last breath of oxygen was to scream for Kurama and then break the meteorite with his head. Then, he already without oxygen is covered by the particles and recovers his powers, so he with the MK survives in a place without oxygen.

And there’s also the fact that he save Toneri in a place already well above the supposed atmosphere of the Moon surface (also with KM in use). I believe that it should stay as it is, perhaps a new justification based on the novel retsuden should be applied, but the other characters should not get the same hax, since the novel makes it clear that not even Sasuke would survive without oxygen.
In that case, it should be removed from his base abilities and instead added to his KCM and above abilities.

if the information of ninjas being able to produce their own oxygen is true, I disagree with self sustenance to ninjas, Self Sustenance type 1 means that u dont need oxygen, being able to produce ur own oxygen doesnt make it self sustenance

Last edited:
The retsuden romance goes against that. Since they needed oxygen equipment to be there. They couldn't make oxygen themselves.

Actually, didn't Naruto leave the moons surface to save Toneri? After Toneri started mutating from the over-absorption of Byakugans, he was flung deep into outer space. Naruto leaped off of the moon to save him.

Could that give him Self-Sustenance?

Actually, didn't Naruto leave the moons surface to save Toneri? After Toneri started mutating from the over-absorption of Byakugans, he was flung deep into outer space. Naruto leaped off of the moon to save him.

Could that give him Self-Sustenance?

Yeah it’s already being discussed

Back