• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Negative Space?

Hello! I was recently thinking about dimensions and the concept of nonexistence and I was wondering if there is something akin to a "negative spatial dimension". Dimensions seem to be counted in sets of positive integers like "1, 2, 3" and so on. But could some form of dimension be counted with a set of negative integers?

If "1" (existence) is the presence of something, and "0" (nonexistence) is the absence of something, would "-1" ("inexistence"?) be some kind of antithesis of said existing "1"?

I hope I'm making at least some sense...

For example, if John had 7 apples (existence) and you took those 7 away, then there would be none left (nonexistance)...but what if you kept taking nonexistent apples away somehow? Say you took 7 more apples away from the nonexistance. Would you be left with 7 "inexistent apples"/"anti-apples" that are not made of 3 spatial dimensions but -3 spatial dimensions?

I understand that we don't see anything like this in the real world as there is no magnitude less than zero, but in some mathematical sense, could it be done? I should also say that I've never personally encountered anything like this in fiction either, so wondering about "negative dimensions" might only ever ammount to being a pointless thought experiment. Although, I could see this possibly relating to "void manipulation" in some way.

On a related note, could you have non-integer/fractional dimensions? Such as a 3.74 or 13.484 dimensional object??

Perhaps I simply lack understanding on dimensions or maybe I'm looking at them from the wrong perspective. I'm probably treating dimensions too much like actual numbers and not enough like a physical phenomenon. I really don't know, I just wanted to see what other people on this website thought about this. I've been to other parts of the internet to try and find answers and I seem to get a lot of conflicting responses.

This might seem like a nonsensical question or frivolous speculation, and if it is, I'm sorry for wasting time. Maybe I should go to a different website to ask about this...

EDIT: I guess that even if there was a -3D being it wouldn't be superior to a 3D being as they both have values of "3". So negative dimensions would likely still be superior to 0D beings as the negative dimensions still hold a value. I guess that makes this question all the more pointless. Sorry.

Back