• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mortal Kombat (2021) Downgrades and Revisions

Hellbeast

He/Him

Introduction​

So Mk 2021 was something huh? A new reboot of the most iconic fighting game series of all time and surprisingly a film that had a decent opening at the box office (poor legs but man is that opening weekend impressive for an R rated adaptation during Covid). Some loved it, some hated it (I thought it was fun but had a lot of flaws despite the stellar cast) but that’s a discussion for another day (or not ig). The reason I’m making this thread is because we actually have a few pages for the Kast in this but they’ve got some issues I’m hoping to fix.

Tiers​

Sub-Zero The GOAT​

First off I have to ask, why the **** are we scaling everyone to Sub-Zero’s ice powers? Like really why? The page simply mentions his ability to freeze human bodies whole (which in fairness he does do) but it completely ignores one key bit of context. This is a Bi Han who is over 400 years younger then the Sub-Zero we see in the rest of the film and the opening seems to imply he has a much more limited experience with his Ice Manipulation. He has this moment where he cuts himself with his ice and the whole fight with Hanzo is a pretty good point of comparison. Notice how he’s much more reliant on physical blows and martial ability in the first battle with Hanzo and then compare that to the fight with Scorpion; where he actively creates hazards and weapons with his Ice (even using it to freeze the Revenant).

Even ignoring the experience stuff there are two additional problems; the first of which being Sub-Zero’s standing among the characters. While Bi-Han is typically a lower - to mid tier fighter (before and after his death), the reboot’s Sub-Zero is very explicitly one of the most fearsome kombatants, not just for Outworld, but the whole live action Kast. He completely dominates Jax in the first act before leaving him for dead, may well have killed Liu Kang if not for Kung Lao, overwhelms a Cole Young who unlocked his Arkana (the same Cole beats ******* Goro) and it’s caimed outright by Jax in the third act of the film that “no one’s taking him one on one” with Cole and the Chosen Ones planning to jump him together.

The only character who does anything to Sub-Zero is Kung Lao, who pretty easily sends the Kryomancer flying (though notably less damage then he did to Nitara). The point being it’s very clear that Bi Han is “built different” and is nothing short of a top tier in this movie, sitting right across from Scorpion and maybe being surpassed only by Raiden and Shang Tsung. So that should throw scaling everyone to him out the window but there’s also the second factor; universal energy.

Arkana Shenanigans​

While all the characters use Arkana to use their powers; there’s not really any sign this would scale their abilities to their physical attacks. A casual fireball from Liu Kang pretty easily drops Kano, Sonya easily tears through Mileena with her energy blast and Cole goes from being dominated by Goro to tanking everything like a champ (which might be a result of absorbing kinetic energy) and Scorpion’s hellfire (which might be Arkana?) easily murdering Sub-Zero. I’d also note the Sonya and Scorpion examples also show the characters being relative to their respective enemies (Mileena and Sub-Zero) so the idea that Arkana is > a character’s physicals is pretty clearly established in the film and that is ignoring how a decent amount of the plot is dedicated to unlocking the Arkana.

So Sub shouldn’t physically scale to his Ice Manipulation and not many characters should scale to him in general because he’s an aforementioned top tier. Scorpion is probably the only real exception to this because he is really the only one to tango evenly with Bi Han in the whole film. Not even Cole scales because he accomplished basically nothing in the final fight; seriously Scorpion is carrying this fight. Raiden and Shang might but I’d personally list them as Unknown since they don’t really fight (Raiden does have impressive scaling with his force fields and his lightning bolt should be calced)

Replacements​

As mentioned before the Kast seems pretty consistently within the bounds of Street - Wall level with characters regularly performing feats on that level such as:
These could be calced but eyeballing these seem 9-C to 9-B which is much more consistent then the 9-A stuff.

Lifting Strength​

Currently everyone is scaled to Jax lifting a huge boulder; this seems fine but I’d note this could be higher based on Mehcad Brook’s height. Ignoring that I’m unsure if this even applies to anyone, nobody outmuscles Jax when he has his Arkana and he even outright overpowers the physically imposing General Reiko. The very scene where he performs the feat also shows Sonya being pinned and unable to move which makes no sense considering she is able to match Kano. The only route here is that the average Chosen Ones and Kombatants shouldn’t scale to Jax; Arkana Cole probably can since he matches Goro in strength (who ripped off a car door) and Sub-Zero actually manages to hold him in place.

Hax​

Cole Young​

Btw, I assume every kombatant simply scales to 9-B feats without their Arkana? I think this seems pretty straightforward to add until we have sufficient approval.

Btw, I assume every kombatant simply scales to 9-B feats without their Arkana? I think this seems pretty straightforward to add until we have sufficient approval.
Yeah they'd probably be in the 9-B range and relevant character get a "higher with Arkana/Powers"

Characters like Kabal and Kung Lao probably wouldn't since they're Arkana isn't AP related (speed and teleportation) and neither would Jax (who has no feats without his arms)

I am curious if Raiden and Shang could get profiles tho

IIRC Kabal used his hook swords to disperse a fireball from Liu Kang with his speed, so I think that's some form of AP for him? Jax's profile only indexing his arcana form seems good.

Huh not sure what that'd be

Also do any of the other movie Kombatants have profiles?

It should be AP since Liu Kang's fireballs do physical damage; when they hit an opponent, they get knocked back. Kabal dispersing it with his speed should allow him to scale to Liu Kang.

I haven't been following movie profiles lately, so I don't know. Speaking of which, there should be profiles from the 90s movies (including Annihilation ugh)

It should be AP since Liu Kang's fireballs do physical damage; when they hit an opponent, they get knocked back. Kabal dispersing it with his speed should allow him to scale to Liu Kang.

I haven't been following movie profiles lately, so I don't know. Speaking of which, there should be profiles from the 90s movies (including Annihilation ugh)

I know the Skull feat is 9-B, might be downgraded to 9-C tho and I'm unsure about the rest.

I wrote up some powers for Cole but I then got sidetracked and started writing pages for the other movie guys lol
I'll send my wording through tomorrow and we can apply it then?

This seems uncontroversial to apply to me as well.

What has been accepted here can probably be applied.

Okay. Thank you. What else is left to do here?

Okay. If you list the evidence for all of the relevant/important ones, I can ask some calc group members for help.

Well I prefer if someone personally asked a calc member to help determine the feats here, but I'm not going to do that task right now unfortunately. Least I can do is edit some of the P&A, range, equipment, etc. of the movie pages.

Okay. I can only help you if you list the evidence for the feats that you need calculated.

Also just noticed something about hax
  • Dimensional Travel and Teleportation
    • There is absolutely no source for this
    • The portals Bi Han goes through are aesthetically consistent with Shang Tsung's portals (making me think this is him)
    • He never teleports
  • Stealth Mastery
    • No justification
  • Acrobatics
    • No justifications
    • I can't recall him ever doing this

Also just noticed something about hax
  • Dimensional Travel and Teleportation
    • There is absolutely no source for this
    • The portals Bi Han goes through are aesthetically consistent with Shang Tsung's portals (making me think this is him)
    • He never teleports
  • Stealth Mastery
    • No justification
  • Acrobatics
    • No justifications
    • I can't recall him ever doing this
That's fine by me to remove.

He's an assassin, so obvs he should have it. Bi-Han did ambush Jax in Brazil (ooh)

IIRC he backflips away from Scorpion with an ice clone in the last fight. That should count as Acrobatics but it's very minor.

Back