• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monsters of the Night

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Nargacuga

Both are High 8-C with base Narga being used. Speed equalized

Nargacuga upscales from 2.14 tons

Displacer Beast scales to 2.25 tons

Narga: 1

DP: 3

Incon:

Last edited:
Alright, well I can already see some Advantages for the Nargacuga. Firstly, the Nargacuga has a notable Lifting Strength advantage since it upscales from a somewhat casual Class 100 Feat, secondly Nargacuga is smarter than DB since it's Average while DB is Below Average, thirdly Nargacuga has a Rage Amp that doubles it's stats and completely restores it's stamina even when it's been Mutilated to hell and back (Broken Limbs, torn wings, cut off tail, etc), fourthly it can Poison the DB and finally it's stamina is much higher by default than the DB's.

I'm a supporter of both and frankly Nargacuga is one of my favorite Iceborne monsters so I'll try to be as objective as possible.

Nargacuga:
+Class 100 vs Class 50 Lifting Strength. Not an insane advantage, but enough that the DB certainly won't be getting any grapples on the thing.
+Intelligence, though I doubt this is an insane boon to it. Displacer Beast isn't unintelligent, so the difference isn't akin to that between even an average man and a beast.
++ Rage Amp is a fairly massive boost in stats, yes. I don't think the stamina is a particularly major benefit here given DB realistically has better stamina than MH monsters anyways, but it does help it contend a bit better.
-Poison is resisted by DB as part of standard D&D resistances.
-Rage Amp is their best bet and it requires them to already be getting their ass beat.

Displacer Beast:
+++ Displacement makes it vastly harder to hit- illusory duplicates of the Beast will appear all over essentially at random, only disappearing when struck.
++ I'm giving the "number of attacks" advantage to Displacer Beast, since Narga's ability to fire spines isn't as useful in immediate close range compared to Displacer Beast's tentacles.
+ Displacer Beast being sneaky could be a fairly massive advantage just via hit and run tactics- something the DB is prone to doing.
- Doesn't really have an answer to Nargacuga gliding throughout an area faster than it can keep up.

In the end, I ultimately think Displacer Beast has a better shot of winning than losing. So my vote for DB.

The Nargacuga also has Stealth Mastery and Afterimages so it's not like it wouldn't know how to deal with the DB's Shit since it has them itself, especially considering it has a minor Intelligence advantage.

Actually, I just remembered that pretty much every High 8-C and above Monster can stun opponents by roaring, so that's another plus.

While true, contextually I consider Displacer Beast's stealth mastery to be far better due to smaller size and general level of proficiency (DB in this key is superior to professional thieves and assassins).

Far from done, but this is the current list of resistances accepted for quite literally all D&D characters. Other characters may have stuff not mentioned here, but still.

The main reason is simply because it is incomplete. At the moment there are, by our estimations, about 600 books (including novels) and 400 magazines one would need to read to get all resistances.

The above list comprises two full books and a single chapter of interest from another.

It is, yes. Our profiles on the wiki have referenced well over a hundred of these publications, so I think we have a very good idea on the verse- but the resistances list is immeasurably far from being finished.

It is, yes. Our profiles on the wiki have referenced well over a hundred of these publications, so I think we have a very good idea on the verse- but the resistances list is immeasurably far from being finished.
You know, when that list is finished it may be an even larger page then Aethyr Manipulation, which is 260,717 bytes long

So it resists these things no matter what? Correct me if I’m wrong but things like this require saving throws right?

So it resists these things no matter what? Correct me if I’m wrong but things like this require saving throws right?
It is a gameplay mechanic, yeah. If the character has no bonus to the stat that allows them to resist the thing, they don't get the resistances, but otherwise every single D&D creature has them. So like, for example, Commoners in D&D (your average people) don't have these resistances- they lack the stats. But even a baseline adventurer would.

You know, when that list is finished it may be an even larger page then Aethyr Manipulation, which is 260,717 bytes long
I doubt it will be, since I'm not planning to explain every ability. We could do a Weave Manipulation page, though, and if we followed the example of Aethyr Manipulation, it would be... probably in the megabyte territory.

I doubt it will be, since I'm not planning to explain every ability. We could do a Weave Manipulation page, though, and if we followed the example of Aethyr Manipulation, it would be... probably in the megabyte territory.
Oh man, i can't wait to see that monstrosity lol

I don't intend to do it. I'm merely stating that it could theoretically be done.

Displacer Beast FRA
(Also if we applied my CRT for the creature I’d be arguing that it’s more skilled then the monster hunter creature)

I don't think skill is a particularly compelling argument in this fight- the two would be fairly equal with any advantages being middling at best (particularly that DB has arguable better ways to apply its skill- tentacles + paws vs claws + arm blades).

I actually feel those two are relatively equal since DB still has talons. I was arguing the tentacles would be more useful since those are essentially extra limbs with fluid movement vs arm blades fixed to... well, the arm.

I still think the Rage Amp, higher Intelligence and higher Lifting Strength will allow the Nargacuga to clutch the Victory more times than not, especially since while the DB is probably better at the Nargacuga's gimmick than it is, it knows how this Strategy works since it employs it itself so when the DB Disappears and makes it's Illusions/Afterimages, the Nargacuga can just fly into the Sky until it locates the DB since it has no idea where it's ran off to and possibly even attempt to just snipe it from the sky by launching it's Tail Spikes at it.

I don't really feel that this particular fight has intelligence come into it much, since both are equally as adept in their fighting methods. The difference is abysmally small and Nargacuga doesn't really have any feats of abusing their intellect for combat.

Similarly, rage power comes with the double-edged sword of needing Narga to get beat up, and then it goes away soon after. As for the flying into the sky thing... no? That's not really how Narga fights, sitting up in the sky trying to snipe.

The ability to disappear and leave illusory duplicates is superior, I feel.

Abusing Intelligence? I'm pretty sure it will eventually notice a pattern here with how it fights since it is smarter, plus the Nargacuga can stun the DB with it's Roar since every High 8-C and above Monster can do that.

Sure, but normal animals can do this, too. Nargacuga isn't some analytical genius nor does it do the thing you're saying to any degree against, say, the Hunter. We're arguing something with roughly average intelligence against something who upscales from somewhat below average. The difference is pitiful and I don't think any significant impact is made by whatever marginal gap exists.

Back