• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monogatari Revisions

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
As part of my quest to revise/expand the Monogatari pages, I've started with the movies for the majority of the feats on the two existing profiles, but since I wasn't around for the profiles being made and I've never done this before, I'd like to confirm before changing things.

Firstly, Koyomi, he has Darkness Manipulation and Empathic Manipulation that aren't well backed up. The former seems to be from his master being able to submerge into shadows later in the series, but Koyomi isn't shown or stated as having all the same powers as her, and he never demonstrates this power himself. The latter is pure conjecture based on vampires in other series having it, to quote the profile itself "While not blatantly represented in the series, Araragi's first encounter with Kiss-shot could depict this ability as he appears to be unable to move as imagery showing her eyes zooming towards him as he tries to escape but hardly being able to move in the opposite direction. Hanekawa also mentioned this ability once." It's only possibly mentioned once in the series, and never demonstrated. Even in the scene used as an example of maybe utilizing it, that's done by his master, not by himself.

Also, his speed is listed as both SuperHuman and Supersonic+ even though both of those speeds are travel speeds when he's at his peak, making the former kind of redundant. For his range, rather than just being Human Melee Range, it should include up to Hundreds of Meters with Shapeshifting (example).

Now, onto Shinobu. Empathic Manipulation should likely be removed here as well. Her range could also be changed from "Unknown" to "Standard Melee Range, tens of meters via Shockwaves, hundreds of meters via Shapeshifting and Fire Manipulation, possibly higher (travelled from Antarctica to Japan in a single jump)".

I think that this seems to make sense.

Yup, made the proposed changes, though I did not clearly mention the range since the LN and anime showed the same scene differently.

I'm planning on doing further revisions as I go through the anime. Any missed feats and characters not included yet, etc. I'll probably bump this thread with links to blog posts once I get started on those.

Also if you want BANLK, I could look through the LN for any major points I cite, if you're worried about discrepencies between the anime and the original.

@Agnaa K, if you want to start with something simple you can make profiles for Dramaturgy or Episode.

-BANLK- said:
@Agnaa K, if you want to start with something simple you can make profiles for Dramaturgy or Episode.
I was considering leaving them out since they're pretty barren as far as feats go.

Dramaturgy doesn't have feats beyond matching Koyomi's durability, and no speed feats.

Episode likely has some speed feats with tossing his cross, and has teleport haxx.

If they are deserving of profiles I could toss some together, I've made the notes for them. I don't have anything against making their profiles, but their feats don't seem noteworthy enough to me.

Fortnightly revisions update.

tl;dr, Shinobu should get power/regen nullification and tracking based on smell of blood, sunlight only gives a sunburn when in child form but is still a weakness as a full vampire, possibly has resistance to disease manipulation along with Koyomi, and should possibly get Charisma back. Also Koyomi only scales inside Kizu.

Is Shinobu's energy manipulation her energy drain? Perhaps this should be clarified/expanded on to include power/regen nullification, as meddlecats have energy drain that's vastly inferior to vampiric energy drain, and even their energy drain can slow/nullify low-mid Regenerationn. This was shown in Neko K 37:40 in, and explained to have been due to energy drain 41:54 in.

In Nise episode 10 Koyomi asks if Shinobu will be okay in the sun, she replies, "I'll just get a nasty sunburn. I'm not really a normal vampire anymore. I won't even need sunscreen, just a had would suffice." so she would still be weak to the sun at full power, but that no longer becomes a weakness in her child form.

What ability would best describe Shinobu being able to locate people based on the smell of their blood, even if they aren't bleeding?

Koyomi in Nise receives some wreathe fire bee poison from Kaiki, and is stated to, along with all vampires, have resistance to the symptoms due to vampire Regenerationn, however, that poison was later stated to have been caused by instant hypnosis. Still, the poison did have physical effects on both Koyomi and his sister.

Hanekawa's always so serious. If she's so caught up in her feelings, she must have been a victim of that… No, you're wrong. A knockoff vampire like you can't use his charisma at all. The power of charisma isn't a love potion like that, anyway. It's the power to completely remove their will, turning them into nothing more than your marionette.
Turns out there are multiple statements of "Vampiric Charisma" in the series, this time more thoroughly explaining it. It should probably be re-added along with a better explanation of how it works, like the one above.

Also, is there any interest in creating a key for Koyomi below full strength, after he stops being a vampire? A lot of profiles have keys that get battles for characters below their full strength. Even if this doesn't end up happening, for future reference, scaling to Koyomi should be done very carefully outside of Kizu. While he is stated to be unable to become more than 1/10th as powerful (High 8-C) as he was during spring break, that's the strongest he can get from Shinobu sucking his blood, so even if his feats are serious, he's usually either had no or an unknown amount of blood sucked prior. Characters should scale to their own feats and to each other, but shouldn't get High 8-C for harming Koyomi.

Charisma should probably stay since it was mentioned multiple times, at least for Kiss-Shot (Ararararagi-san could have a "possibly" before it just to be safe). I agree with removing Koyomi's darkness manipulation. The Regenerationn negation for energy drain seems fine too.

Back