• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MLP: Mid-Tiers Downgrades

Assaltwaffle

VS Battles
Retired
Well, at least this isn't going to be as extreme as Samurai Jack or Cuphead. But, nevertheless, here I go.

The current stats for the MLP Mid-Tiers, the City level ponies, is from a calculation that should have never been accepted in the first place. Here is the original, and here is the redo.

This calculation is incorrect for many reasons, although at first glance it is easy to see why it got accepted. The calc's crux is assuming the mountain in the background is at the height of the snow line of mountains, 4500 meters. While initially this seems reasonable, there are several reasons why this is simply not possible.

1. The Distance: Using the angsizing calculator given a 4500 meter mountain, the mountain appears to be 73 kilometers away. Only problem is that this is impossible for several reasons.

1A. Horizon Line: The Earth is not flat. Hence there is only a certain amount of land you can see even given a perfectly clear field of view. Normally, this is 4 kilometers. At 4 kilometers, it would be completely impossible to see the base of the mountain in question. In fact, in order to see 73 kilometers out, you need to be over 400 meters in the air. You'd need to be on a skyscraper to see this.

Also remember the 4 kilometer horizon line? Well the clouds don't even get that far. They don't cover an eye-level horizon line yet they are 73 kilometers away? Doubtful, in my opinion.

1B. Perspective: It is unknown if the clouds are above, at, or below the peak of the measured mountain. If they were below it, the calc is wrong. But we never see where they are, since the clouds don't make it this far to our eyes. The only way to confirm they made it this far is to see them pass behind, and therefore above, the mountain, and we don't get that.

1C. Scaling: The mountain shown in the midground is only about 4x taller than the windmill next to it. Even if that windmill is the largest windmill ever at 33 meters, this would only make the mountain 132 meters tall, so 4500 meters. For cartoons with inconsistent height, it is best to scale when possible, not to draw in real world facts (I'm only using real world facts to debunk because the calc's crux is based off of a real world fact).

2. The Height: Only one of the assumed heights is an issue here. The low end of 1 meter isn't an issue and makes sense. 1475 meters, on the other hand, is bonkers for this. Not only do the clouds appear flat and do not extend far into the sky, but if they were the true 1475 clouds, when passing in front of the mountains (that I have shown are not 4500 meters, but rather ~130) they would absolutely dwarf them. But they don't; they are smaller. 1 meter is pretty much the only valid assumption here, not 1475.

TLDR: The calc's scaling is off and is thus in need of a redo/thrown out. Scaled down to Maud Pie's 110 Kiloton feat for a downgrade to High 7-C.

I will inform Darkanine about this thread.

The clouds not dwarfing the mountains is easily explainable as Rarity most likely put them together to make them bigger. Hence why they appear smaller than mountains pre-assembly, yet almost equal in size once fully formed.

Agree with everything else except the mountain scaling, as even tree's are nearly half the size of them in the picture. It can easily be charted to inconsistent imagery, as mountains were massive in dragonshy, housing caves large enough to hold dragons, and Ursa Major's that should be skyscraper sized compared to their building sized cubs.

Exactly. For inconsistent media, we need to look at what happens shot-by-shot. Same thing goes for One Punch Man's Beefcake. The man goes from like 500 meters to like 50 kilometers and back.

And that same logic why I don't want to say the mountains are even smaller than the ESB. In many scenes, in many episodes, the mountains absolutely dwarf everything. We can't go by shot by shot, because it is blatantly false. Getting the mountain's height based on a house is no better than assuming they are 4500 meters based on having a snow line.

But it is. If size varies from shot to shot, you can't just take the largest possible size and apply it to every scenario. Doing so leads to 73 kilometer horizon lines. We have to take these things case by case. If you try to get the largest possible size and apply it to everything you will get inflated numbers, as is the case here.

Also mountains dwarfing the surroundings still isn't indicative of the 4500 meter height. I live in the Tennessee valley and our mountains dwarf the surrounding, but are nowhere near 4500 meters. To put it in perspective, 4500 meters is more than half of Mount Everest's height.

I'm not against the downgrades, frankly I was iffy on the feat myself, but good lord I a not looking forward to revising the profiles for the third time.

Chrysalis is a top tier though. Normal ponies can't touch her at all; including Rarity.

Is it best to go with Maud?

Assaltwaffle said:
But it is. If size varies from shot to shot, you can't just take the largest possible size and apply it to every scenario. Doing so leads to 73 kilometer horizon lines. We have to take these things case by case. If you try to get the largest possible size and apply it to everything you will get inflated numbers, as is the case here.

Also mountains dwarfing the surroundings still isn't indicative of the 4500 meter height. I live in the Tennessee valley and our mountains dwarf the surrounding, but are nowhere near 4500 meters. To put it in perspective, 4500 meters is more than half of Mount Everest's height.
I'm not saying that. I was iffy on 73 km myself. I'm just saying that pixel scaling is mot a viable method in this scenario. Not when the trees can be compared to the mountain. It's basically the same thing but in reverse.

Yet again, I'm not saying that it does. I'm merely saying that they have been shown as far bigger when up close, and not part of the background.

Didn't the normal ponies and changelings survive the Chrysalis feat too?

Chrysalis's tiering is confusing. The series never seems to determine just how powerful she is. I guess Low 7-B for her and High 7-C for everyone else is fine. Theirs still the blizzard and earthquake feats which have yet to been calced.

Still confused on Spike's Fire Breath tier. It fairly consistently injures stronger characters

@Dark yeah the mane 6, Trixie, the Princesses Ect all survived the explosion to while trapped in there cocoons

There was a leaked Youtube episode in which Chrysalis was shown as somewhat weaker than a copy of Twilight.

It won't come out until next season though, and I feel rather guilty about watching it.

Really? Thank you for the information. I am looking forward to it.

Rarity's calc is still usable I think. In the song we saw her moving an storm's worth of clouds rapidly in circular motions. We just need to find the size of one, calculate how fast it was, find a new mass, and boom, new calc.

Pinkie stretching mountains with her scream could get us something too.

Phoenix821 said:
I see well there's still rainbow's sonic rainboom calc though I don't know if it scales to anyone
Hey yeah why not use that? Rainbow Dash is 7-A via that thing. Rainbow consistently outflies people who are Rel speed. I did a calc, and Rainbow Daah would have to fly almost exactly 40% SoL to hit 300 Megatons. If she can outspeed characters that fast normally, then I see no reason not to apply it to her AP.

Lightbuster30 said:
I don't. Online is the only way I can watch anything involving MLP.
Yeah, but I later heard that this was leaked due to Russian hackers. I feel sorry for the showrunners.

The sad thing is how many potential calc out there are that just don't get done. I used to try doing calcs, like pixel scaling to get results. But in those days, I had a laptop that could do those things. Phone is too limited to do it.

Honestly a one meter mountain is a bit baffling since the smallest mountain ever in real life is 486 ft/148 meters and it would just be a thin small rock at that size but ah well, whatever works.

So what are the conclusions here?

@Antvasima

Darkanine is OK with the downgrade, but we need to determine what tier they will end at.

@Turbo

Incorrect. The largest wind TURBINE is 220 meters. The classic-style windmill seen in MLP maxes at 33 meters.

Aren't we doing High 7-C?

The only three notable feats I know of that haven't been calced yet is the Winter Wrap Up feat, but that was done by like 20+ Pegasi, the Dragonshy earthquake feat, but I'm iffy on that one and Rarity's blizzard. Theirs Clover's feat, but I doubt that scales to anyone because friendship powered stuff.

Non-canon but theirs a feat in the books where a unicorn was going to make a Volcano erupt with enough force that it was going to completely annihilate three towns that were all far away from each other. I bet that yield freaking insane results, but im pretty sure it was with prep.

It was with an artifact yeah.

Tho I still think the cast should be low 7-B ( since pretty much everyone relevant survived the Cloud explosion in the season 6 finale)

Back