• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor Pokemon CRT: Magikarp

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Okay, so I decided to look into Magikarp a bit more. So, Hydro Pump and Dragon Rage, two event moves (the former being event-exclusive until Gen VIII while the latter is still an event move), were listed in its page. Why not these other event moves?

Bubble (basically it just blows bubbles)
Reversal
Celebrate (which does nothing)
Happy Hour (doubles the money earned at the end of a battle; I don't know what ability that's supposed to be)

Fighting-type move. Descriptions have included:
"An attack that increases in power if the user's HP is low. It could turn the tide in battle."
"An all-out attack that becomes more powerful the less HP the user has."
Very weak attack at full HP, but gets stronger the closer to zero HP the user has.

Why do you say that?
Sounds like limited reactive power level or something.

Because it doubles the money you get with the power, so it would be duplicating it or creating more.

I mean, if we list event moves, then this is pretty straightforward. So yeah, agree that it should have them.

Agreed with Reversal being listed as "limited reactive power level".

Happy Hour on the other hand... It's weird, but I guess "limited creation" is appropriate.

Why is that? Do we have any documentation on why?
I imagine the problem there is that our Pokemon pages are for the most part species ones while event moves are clearly something that only one version of the Pokemon can get
Plus they’re likely dubiously canon in universe, frankly accepting event moves seems really weird to me

& I assume we can't list it as something that may be a possibility, since some individuals do have it?

Think that's more stuff that was adding in long ago and was never changed, or just users adding it without knowing our standards. Probably should be removed.

Yah removing event moves seems like a good idea, so this turned to a dowbgrade

Event moves should definitely be removed from our standard "species" profiles, especially stuff like the university Magikarp, where only 20 exist in the entire world, tops. I honestly think an argument could be made for Legendaries or other "special" Pokemon tho. Keep in mind that stuff like V-Create for Victini was an event move all the way up until generation 8, Battle Bond Greninja is event exclusive, Mew is almost completely event exclusive (we don't talk about Floaroma Town...) and there's a general meta element with Pokemon, what with different game cartridges being separate universes.

Floaroma Town Mew would also be event exclusive, but theirs also a major difference between event exclusive moves and Mythical Pokémon that are inheritly event exclusive, while Battle Bond Greninja and V-Create Victini appear in the anime so they won't be the same case either.

It's not really a meta-element, but more that Pokémon has frequently treated Players connecting with each other as a canon thing that is explained as possible because of parallel worlds. Sort of meta, but not in a game mechanics type of way as Pokémon having moves that they really shouldn't have is.

I mean, the fact that these things show up in different media confirm that them appearing in the games is also legit, no?

We also consider stuff that happens in events (e.g. Sinjoh Ruins) to be legit, idk why event moves would be considered non-canon.

Events are a part of why cross scaling between medias is a thing (Battle Bond Greninja, Zoroark, Shiny Rayquaza, all of these were introduced through events). Discarding them would contradict how we make our Pokemon pages.

Theirs a difference between those kinds of events and a Darkrai knowing both Roar of Time and Spatial Rend being given as a gift with no story or explanation behind it, with it's only other appearance in Pokémon being a TGC card which is also an event exclusive.

Seems like most people disagree with this, though the topic of event moves is probably worth discussing separately.

Back