• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(Minor) 5-A value check

SeijiSetto

VS Battles
Calculation Group
I believe it comes from the GBE of Uranus.

I calculated it myself and got 2.84 Yottatons as opposed to baseline 5-A's 2.7 Yottatons.

This isn't to change the value, but the reason why it is what it is should be listed on the AP page, same way that it's stated Mercury is for Small Planet, Earth is for Planet, our Sun is for Star, etc.

I don't think so. I calculated Neptune's GBE to be around 4.08 Yottatons.
Same actually, but I'm just saying what was on the New GBE Formula page. Although that might've only been relevant for finding Solar System level in hindsight.

Yeah this prolly needs fixing

It's one of the OBD baselines we never updated, I believe.

This document says "Gravitational Potential Energy", not "Gravitational Binding Energy".
I believe in this context it's the same.

GBE is the GPE measured from infinitely far away. (Here's some video that mentions they are the same)
Our formula for polytropes does also comes from a paper dealing with PE and there we see nicely how the paper derivates the same GBE formula as the usual one for n = 0, which matches our assumptions (constant density).

But feel free to confirm that further. Always best to have that stuff double checked.

The tiering system page implies that "large gas giants such as Jupiter and Saturn" are the baseline?

Also, this would result in our 4-B's baseline value changed.

As per the formula from here: 4 * U * (Explosion Radius/Target Radius)^2

Explosion Radius (Neptune-to-Sun Distance): 30.07 AU or 4.49542e+12 m

Neptune Radius: 24622000 m

Neptune's GBE being roughly 2.19e+34 J

4 * 2.19e+34 * ((4.49542e+12 / 24622000)^2) = 2.9201018e+45 J or 29.201018 Foe.

Last edited:
If all that's left to do is apply, im failing to see why it needs to be DT who does it. If one of you provides the 2.8 yottatons in tonnes and joules as well as the new high/low end ratio I'll apply it or unlock the page if one of you want to apply it. If DT has something he wants to change he can do so when he has the time, but he's already given a thumbs up so no need to wait anymore imo.

@SeijiSetto does the below look acceptable ?
Also, this would result in our 4-B's baseline value changed.

As per the formula from here: 4 * U * (Explosion Radius/Target Radius)^2

Explosion Radius (Neptune-to-Sun Distance): 30.07 AU or 4.49542e+12 m

Neptune Radius: 24622000 m

Neptune's GBE being roughly 2.19e+34 J

4 * 2.19e+34 * (4.49542e+12 / 24622000)^2 = 2.9201018e+45 J or 29.201018 Foe.

If all that's left to do is apply, im failing to see why it needs to be DT who does it. If one of you provides the 2.8 yottatons in tonnes and joules as well as the new high/low end ratio I'll apply it or unlock the page if one of you want to apply it. If DT has something he wants to change he can do so when he has the time, but he's already given a thumbs up so no need to wait anymore imo.

@SeijiSetto does the below look acceptable ?
i meant to reply to this but it slipped my mind
gimme a bit

I made the following edits:

Someone (everyone) check that I made no mistake.

I made the following edits:

Someone (everyone) check that I made no mistake.
Large Planet: Jupiter should be changed to Neptune.

The new GBE links should be posted as well.

Back