• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Bros - Fodder Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

GyroNutz

VS Battles
Administrator
The Mario Bros fodder pages (e.g. Goomba, Koopa, Charging Chuck) have been outdated for a while now and do not reflect the majority of the feats that these characters, or characters of relative power, have performed. This thread aims to update their tierings and feats listed. For reference, I've compiled a full list of feats for Mario fodder here. Thanks to Imaginym and Im_Blue_daba_dee_daba_die for helping me to compile feats.

The main feats here are Monty Mole digging a tunnel (0.716 tons), Sumo Bros generating lightning with their stomps (Considered to be around 0.66 tons), and (small) Chain Chomps destroying blocks (0.29 and 1 ton). Bullet Bills explosions can supposedly yield 8-C energy as well, would appreciate it if someone can send footage of this. The former and latter calcs have both been accepted, and lightning is accepted as 8-C already. To clarify a few things, this is not a durability feat, but rather an AP feat that specifically scales to the Sumo Bros' physicals (caused by them stomping their foot). The guide shows this lightning coming from above, and The Origami King shows this more explicitly, though that Sumo Bro in particular is a boss and should be considered to be above average fodder.

On top of the 8-C feats listed here, there are several supporting feats that are above the feat already listed on the Goomba's profile. Goombas surviving a castle explosion (0.0064 tons), Charging Chucks destroying rocks (0.08 tons) and the aforementioned bullet bill explosions, which are calculated at 0.21 tons but Jacky claims they can go higher.

Along with the above, there are several feats which would likely yield values around this level by inspection: Super Mario Party cast tank volcanic rubble (Cast includes Monty Mole, Goomba and Koopas who can replicate this), Charging Chucks destroying more rocks (Would likely yield 9-A/8-C judging by Jacky's calcs) and Koopas surviving the explosion of the Koopa Cruiser (as shown right after, they survive it, though look worse for wear).

I also wanted to bring up a potential 7-C feat for clarity's sake. This calculation puts the explosions of Bob-Ombs at 7-C. The calc is offsite + unevaluated, but I don't have any specific issue with the calc itself, though I don't agree with scaling fodder to this feat. For one, the explosions of Bob-Ombs are typically more powerful than anything else that fodder display. They're consistently used to harm bosses, such as King Bob-Omb and even Bowser himself. However, it should be noted that the Bob-Ombs are also durable enough to take this explosion, as they are shown having survived this after, which brings me to my second point. This would likely be an outlier - fodder or not, these character have been around in a massive library of games spanning 35+ years, and would need more than one feat around this level for it to be consistent. If we take the approach that this is a durability feat for the Bob-Ombs, they would likely have to scale to the full yield, which is 7-B, even further above the feats listed here. This is why I've gone to the effort to show that 8-C is consistent here with 3-5 feats on this level, and numerous other supporting feats.

Summary:
Mario fodder have consistent 8-C feats and numerous supporting feats. No matter how you slice it, 9-B fodder has to go.
There is a potential 7-C feat - while I personally disagree with using it, I'm happy to open up that discussion

Last edited:
I've heard of MCB feats existing as well, but I do agree with 8-C, yeah.

However, you used Mario Party for some supporting feats. I don't know if we can count those because there are multiple feats throughout the MP games with playable fodder that are higher than this I'm positive. Hell, anything with playable fodder shows they're comparable to the main cast. I don't think we'd want to open that discussion again.

I'd also like to point out that the Koopa Cruiser is way bigger on the inside than it appears on the outside, which makes one think if it's intended to be bigger like an actual battleship as it's treated as and portrayed as when exploring the innards.

Another possible supporting feat are that Goomba's and some other fodder can also survive a hit from Mario's Star Spin in Galaxy, and beyond hurting Bowser in the end-game, that ability has shown that it can shatter large crystals and boulders in gameplay.

You also forgot the Tennis Stadium feat where fodder were in the audience and caught up in the blast as well. Also done by Bob-Ombs. Can Bob-Ombs control their explosions? Cause there are minigames and such in Mario Party and the games where Bob-Ombs are used and fodder survive. And yes, they can survive their own blast. Funny how they aren't considered too superior to minions in Minion Quest and Jr.'s Journey then.

Bob-Ombs are just a strange case all around. Mario Party also leaves us with a strange case. Literally all of the spin-offs do. And the RPGs aren't much better with those new modes.

However, you used Mario Party for some supporting feats. I don't know if we can count those because there are multiple feats throughout the MP games with playable fodder that are higher than this I'm positive. Hell, anything with playable fodder shows they're comparable to the main cast. I don't think we'd want to open that discussion again.
I only chose Super Mario Party as there is a large variety of fodder playable characters. Something like knocking a character over in a party minigame isn't enough basis for scaling, but tanking volcanic debris should be. Also, the super mario party feat listed is just a supporting feat.

You also forgot the Tennis Stadium feat where fodder were in the audience and caught up in the blast as well. Also done by Bob-Ombs. Can Bob-Ombs control their explosions? Cause there are minigames and such in Mario Party and the games where Bob-Ombs are used and fodder survive. And yes, they can survive their own blast. Funny how they aren't considered too superior to minions in Minion Quest and Jr.'s Journey then.
I suppose it would work as a tier 7 feat for Bob-Ombs in that sense, but I decided not to bring it up as a general fodder feat as iirc the audience had already dispersed by the time of the explosion, and the distance between characters like the Koopa with the tennis racket and the explosion couldn't really be determined.

Scaling to Mario's spin is a no-no, since said spin can harm Grand Star empowered users.

Yeah, none of the mooks should be on par with the 7 Stars and strongest bosses. I'm neutral on 7-C which I recall is consistent that there was also a Tier 7 explosion in Mario Power Tennis and a similar explosion in Toadstool Tour. And Bob-Ombs also survived their own explosion in TTYD, though it tends to be inconsistent in that regard.

Neutral regarding Party games and spin offs when they tank the same stuff the main cast does.
Agree with the rest.

The general upgrade to 8-C is more than acceptable to me, and gets a gold star of approval.

7-C is...neutral, slightly towards rejection. There are just elements there that I am not too fond of, and Bob-ombs being 8-C is far more believable and consistent. Still, if it can be properly evaluated and scaled to the proper characters, then I'm fine.

Yeah, I'd be fine with 7-C Bob-Omb explosions (calc would need to be posted on-site + evaluted, mind) but not having those explosions scale to other fodder.

I'm fine with this, Bob-ombs can be 8-C physically since they can ram into their opponents and harm them, and be 7-C via their explosions.

I agree with the idea that Bomb-ombs are 8-C physically and 7-C via explosions.

However, I think King Bills should be High 8-C, since they upscale from banzai bills and shermans

While that's fine, I feel like King Bill could probably get good results from his own feats being calculated.

8-C seems perfectly reasonable and we can limit the 7-C to the Bob-ombs' explosion. Ask for their ability to recover afterwards, I think this ability varies among the characters and plot throughout the series. Bobbery and Bombette are capable of doing so but Bob-omb (aka Bobby) sacrificed himself to save Olivia by exploding, so we may want to make a note on that should we include it in it's profile. Overall, I agree.

Nice. Would it be fine if this is applied now, given that we have 3 staff and 9 users in support of it?

I also think that was agreed above seems fine.

If everything has been applied, should we close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back