• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lord of the Rings vs Game of Thrones: Dragon Battle

Smaug (Lord of the Rings) vs Balerion (Game of Thrones)

Match Rules: Speed is equalized, the battle takes place on a volcanic island and starting distance of 300 meters.

Smaug:

Balerion:

Inconclusive:

Smaug smart but what kind of combat feats/statements does he have besides bullying people <<< him?

Balerion dates back from the Freehold and has experience murdering other dragons (admittedly Quicksilver isn’t the biggest) and fought whatever was in Old Valyria which could harm him despite having no experience of fighting something comparable in his two centuries of life. He is also immune to Smaug’s fire unless it has statements I don’t recall while his own fire is >>> Drogon’s who can turn steel into ash and Balerion almost a century younger could melt through the stone of Harrenhal.

Then we have the AP where Balerion moving is already > the molten gold which is enough to knock Smaug on his ass with just some of it. Combined with being over twice as long according to the GPE calc for him (which also makes him way more bulky than Smaug), Balerion kinda holds every advantage outside of intelligence here. Even lowballing his size to Vhagar’s 150m in HoD, he still has a large advantage over Smaug.

Gonna wait for LotR fans to comment before voting but definitely leaning towards Balerion rn.

I have some arguments towards Smaug

Let's remember that Balerion is without a rider here, and we can assume that most skills feats he did in the past was with Aegon and his other partners. Besides that, the season finale of House of Dragon show us that even with a rider dragons can easily be teased and engage in a berserk state of simple "kill morrow"

Especially with those starting conditions, Smaug could plane some aerial routes that would make Balerion hit the rocks or even the botton of the volcano (Let's remember, for all we know dragons in GOT are immune to other dragons fire, not normal fire).

Finally, Smaug was night-invunerability, even if Balerion manage to bite him or scratch with his claws it would likely doesn't be effective

But yeah, the AP and LS advantage of the Black Dread sure is a problem for the red dragon, one mistake and it is game over

I would say this is an inconclusive match for now

Balerion’s best feat of fighting is specifically when his rider, Aerea Targaryen, had no control over him (hence why he flew to Valyria in the first place) yet he was able to fight whatever monsters were in Old Valyria that could harm him and still escape with grievous wounds to fly from one continent to another.

Dragon fire in GoT is >>> normal fire. Not only is it just blatantly hotter, Wildfire is just a poor man’s dragon fire despite burning under water, melting rock and being unquenchable, and dragon fire is theorised to be part of how Valyrian steel is made and where it gets its magical properties from.

Smaug’s nigh invulnerability is non existent. He just can’t be hurt by everyone who is weaker than him and requires them to use specific weapons that don’t just bounce off his scales. We know that previous dragons who were much stronger than him could be hurt and killed by beings as strong or stronger than them without the use of the black arrow things.

Dragons tend to not really use fire against each other unless the other dragon is much smaller and thus wouldn’t have a resistance to their flames so cqc would be the go to here. Smaug’s flames won’t do anything so it comes down to a physicsl fight where he really needs to take advantage of the terrain to do much.

Also Balerion’s profile really needs some work cuz the only PnA section more basic is just having SPC. Dragon Physiology makes it look so barebones lmao.

I don't see any win condition for smaug, he's just smarter than the balerion. And a battle in the sky for example would not be of much use. Balerion wins

I don't see any win condition for smaug, he's just smarter than the balerion. And a battle in the sky for example would not be of much use. Balerion wins
Are you voting for Balerion or do you think it's a stomp?

So one leans towards Balerion, one leans towards Smaug, one leans towards an incon and one leans towards a stomp

Smaug is intelligent, has more experience, and the two seem roughly comparable (no links to Smaug's calcs is hurting).

I vote Smaug.

has more experience
According to what @AnonymousBlank said, Balerion is actually the one with the most combat experience, unless you want to make some argument
and the two seem roughly comparable
They aren't though, Balerion is stronger (AP and LS) and is immune to Smaug's fire, while the latter can't resist the fire and heat from Balerion's breath, which is also magical in nature

According to what @AnonymousBlank said, Balerion is actually the one with the most combat experience, unless you want to make some argument

They aren't though, Balerion is stronger (AP and LS) and is immune to Smaug's fire, while the latter can't resist the fire and heat from Balerion's breath, which is also magical in nature
Magical fire needs to be added by content revision then, I don't believe you can use off profile stuff.

The rest is fair, but I don't have a link to Smaug's calc to verify ap.

Since Smaug is more sapient and thus technically smarter though lacking Balerion's fight IQ, he could possibly scrounge up enough smarts to pull a win out of his ass, but that's happening very rarely since it's more likely that Balerion's comparable might and superior fighting prowess will shatter Smaug's ego and make him slip up to an eventually fatal end. Smaug is physically comparable enough that Balerion will have to put in the work to get the win each time, however, so I wouldn't call this a stomp. A potential wincon Smaug has is to basically constantly go for Balerion's head to gouge out his eyes, throw off his flight path, etc., perhaps do the latter to try to dunk him into a lake to quench his flames for a bit and drown him

Back