• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Leopard vs Jaguar

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Okay, so first thread in the new forum period. I'm gonna go with something simple: a battle between the two big spotted cats. Yep. A leopard and a jaguar. This battle will be SBA (Here's what SBA is for those of you who are new to this website: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Standard_Battle_Assumptions ) except for one thing. Both cats start five meters apart. Here are their profiles:

Leopard's Profile
Jaguar's Profile

For those of you who are new here, we use profiles as readily-available references so you won't have to go through too much hassle trying to decide who would win in a match; in this case a leopard and a jaguar. If you are unsure what they are, you can always read up the linked profiles.

Now then, who takes this?

Leopard_africa.jpg
Leopard: 0
Jaguar: 7 (ThisThingisReallyBroken, RoyGundam, Robot972, XSOULOFCINDERX, MeOrU, HeadlessKramerGeoff777, YmTheSuper)
Inconclusive (or a tie for those of you who are new): 0
SJM-L-JAGUAR-0620-3.jpg

Last edited:
I think the Jaguar takes this.It’s AP is leagues above the leopard and fights off animals that are fully capable killing it in regular basis.Speed is on its side too.

The Jaguar’s main AP is based off a full charge, which is not going to happen when they’re 5 meters apart, same with the factor of speed. The closeness to each other means little when I believe big cats fight via grappling and grabbing and speed wont be nearly as important at that point.

I think the Jaguar takes this. It’s AP is leagues above the leopard and fights off animals that are fully capable killing it in regular basis. Speed is on its side too.

Oh, I can multi-quote now? Sweet! Less space taken up by double-posting and multi-posting. Back to the topic, being fair to leopards, leopards are described to be the best climbers out of all the big cats, though I'm not sure how it would compare to the climbing ability of a jaguar. They ae no slackers when it comes to carrying stuff up trees too; one leopard carried a female (or so I can tell as there's nothing hanging off the zebra's crotch) zebra up a tree:

That and the caimans jaguars kill are more along the lines of spectacled and yacare caimans, all which are smaller than adult black caimans (which would make jaguars back down). I dunno, it's certainly strange that jaguars have the most powerful bites of all the big cats, yet leopards have higher extremes in terms of what it killed (giraffes up to 550 kg and even a 900 kg eland).

The Jaguar’s main AP is based off a full charge, which is not going to happen when they’re 5 meters apart, same with the factor of speed. The closeness to each other means little when I believe big cats fight via grappling and grabbing and speed wont be nearly as important at that point.

Yeah, big cats do prefer to grapple their prey, especially when going for a clean kill.

I dunno, it's certainly strange that jaguars have the most powerful bites of all the big cats, yet leopards have higher extremes in terms of what it killed (giraffes up to 550 kg and even a 900 kg eland).
It's not a problem with who can kill what, it's a problem of who has access to what. Prey that size just don't exist in South America. However, they are the only known predator of black caimans, which can weigh up to 400 kg, as well as seemingly often fighting anaconda.

The bite force advantage that Jaguars have over Leopards is just crazy. They should easily win. I think Lion vs Jaguar would be a more interesting fight.

It's not a problem with who can kill what, it's a problem of who has access to what. Prey that size just don't exist in South America. However, they are the only known predator of black caimans, which can weigh up to 400 kg, as well as seemingly often fighting anaconda.
Yeah, but those caimans are often juveniles and eggs, with the kill of a 12-foot adult being a one-time thing. I still couldn't agree more with the problem being "who has access to what," however.

Regardless, it does seem to be the general consensus from what I can tell that jaguars would win this, given they're bigger, stronger, faster.

Leopards do seem to be treated as a bit more intelligent, but I'm not sure how much this will help them if this is a heads-on fight and not the two hunting each other down

A Jaguar only needs one good shot to kill the Leopard with a bite. Leopards are no joke, but Jaguars are something else man.

Back