• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lavagirl vs. Magmar (Battle of Liquid Rock)

The God Of Procrastination said:
Their brain would recover more quickly. It depends on the speed of the Regenerationn.
So, does Lavagirl regenerate fast enough to avoid unconsciousness for more than an hour? Can she be killed with brute force?

As mentioned above, Magmar dips in lava to heal itself. It has several non-fire based options. Least likely is Gunk Shot. Thunderpunch, Dynamic Punch.... It could also attempt to use Screech to weaken her physical durability, & max out its offenses with Belly Drum & Focus Energy.... Smog, Clear Smog & Confuse Ray might also be options.

However, IF she CANNOT be killed, nor knocked out, & I don't think Magmar has any way of BFR-ing her, she wouldn't really ever go down?

But on the other hand, with Magmar able to drop her accuracy with Smokescreen, & being something that bathes in lava, does she have any means of defeating Magmar either?

How to vote depends on if she can be killed or rendered unconscious for an hour or more, IMHO.

She can be killed, but the stats amps and reduction are not enough, and she won't be unconscious for that long, but since she don't have ways to deal with him, i am going with Inconclusive

Jackythejack said:
Lavagirl via attack potency.
Wait what are the AP values?
@Drite77: And The God of Procrastination said "Slightly less, actually. 1.0446884e+16 joules versus 2.520813945240e+16 joules."

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Statistic#Stage_multipliers Supposing we use these as a basis, Magmar could get her to 25% of her usual physical durability. Lower if we assume that as a non-Pokemon, she isn't subject to the same statistics reduction limitation as a Pokemon.

Magmar would be about 2 & a half times weaker before any stat changes, but in theory, it could get her a lot lower.

25,208,139,452,400,000 (Lavagirl) vs Magmar (10,446,884,000,000,000. Supposing she can ONLY be brought to 25% by statistics reduction, & a best case scenario....

With Belly Drum up, Magmar's physical AP would be somewhere around 41,787,536,000,000,000 joules, vs Lavagirl's physical durability lowered as much as possible.... 6,302,034,863,100,000 joules.

So in such a case, Magmar would be about 6.63 times stronger.

In game mechanics, a critical hit (Focus Energy) is usually 1.5 to 2 times. (1.5 in the most recent games.) 9.946 times if a crit is 1.5, which is most likely, since it's the most recent standard, if we're taking such info at all. If a crit is 2 times as stronger, we have a difference of about 13.261.

So, a difference of 6.63 wouldn't be enough to kill her, nor render her unconscious for at least an hour, even if she might already be poisoned (If she can be?) or confused?

(And such difference could be greater if there's no limit on how much a non-Pokemon like her could have her statistics reduced.)

Indeed, those would hinder it. Although it MIGHT be smart enough to realize its first resort isn't helping, & even if she powers up, even if Power Swap doesn't work (Which is a horrible idea if it does buff itself, but I doubt it'd deliberately/knowingly boost itself then strengthen her.) will her magma hurt it?

It's only resistant (and that's if it doesn't count as rock), not immune.

Magmar's Pokemon Crystal Pokedex entry: "It moves more frequently in hot areas. It can heal itself by dipping its wound into lava."

Pokemon Sun entry: "When it's tired, it leaps into the mouth of a volcano and soaks its body in magma to ease its weariness. Its body burns at 2,192 degrees F."

I'm open to the proposition that it's resistant, not immune, but given the above entries, I feel I don't understand the logic behind that proposition. Sorry.

I suppose that is a fair point. Despite what the Pokedex entries state, Magmar hasn't shown immunity to that move in Pokemon Battling gameplay, AFAIK. (Unless there's something in the anime/manga I don't know about.)

Has it really only been a month? Hopefully this debate can make some more progress in the near future.

Yes it has.

Though, it really should have been concluded by now, smh.

@ The God of Procrastination: Which reasons again? I mean, I hope I don't seem biased, but I'm pretty sure there's reasoning for both sides here.

Magmar kinda has means for that, though. Poisoning, or statistics amplification/reduction could allow it to pass her in AP, & not all of its attacks are fire-based.

Plus, it won't go down quickly against her either since it heals itself by dipping in Lava. Her attacks may not be that effective.

Also, Paralysis & Confusion status are a thing; Even if they don't cause notable damage to her, it keeps her attacking less if she is able to damage it.

Back