• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kellam: Luna durability negation

I am not all too familiar with fire emblem, but I was by chance reading Kellams profile.

It mentions that he can negate durability via Luna, but doesn't explain what Luna is or through which mechanism it negates durability.

Like that the information that it negates durability is only minorly useful, as one can not judge what the requirements for the attack are and which kind of things resist it (for all I know from the profile it could be a poison attack that can be defended against by not swallowing the poison...).

Soooo it would be good if someone knowledgeable could add some explanation about the mechanism of Luna.

It's basically just a normal hit that negates durability, nothing special outside of that

...but how does it negate durability?

I mean if you know it does you also know the mechanism behind it, given that otherwise you could hardly tell that it negates durability...

Such a thing is pretty important to know in order to tell which kind of resistances or abilities help against it...

Actually I just looked up the skill on a fire emblem wiki, according to which the skill in awakening (which is what kellam seems to be from according to the verse page) halves the enemies defense and resistance... that isn't durability negation, that's basically Status Effect Inducement only reducing durability to a limited degree.

Actually at worst its the game mechanic implementation of a normal sword piercing attack that slips through the gaps in armour or scales to cause more damage...

I'm probably lacking some in verse information about what the attack does / how it works?

In Awakening and Fates (Although it's possible that this is just to balance it), it treats the opponent's durability as being only half

Soooo... it doesn't negate durability. Someone with durability 2 times Kellams AP would be perfectly fine, no?

And, for all we know, it might also only work against opponents on the level against which it worked in the game and not against an opponent with, for example, a trillion times higher durability than that, no?

TBH, it's likely for balancing purposes, every game before Awakening (including 4 and 5, which is in the same universe) has it ignore dura entirely, but even then it could still just be limited Durability Negation

And it cannot be slipping through armor or anything like that, plenty of characters, including fodder, don't even wear much armor (if at all), and the most skilled fighters in the verse don't even learn it

It's also not a game mechanic, considering skills are canon (In FE4, where skills originated from, one of the characters even shouts out "Astra" in their pre-battle dialogue, and Fates has skills used in cutscenes/scripted events)

So should the durability negation mention be removed?

I mean, that's honestly only because of HP

But it's at least "Durability Negation to an extent"

It negates dura, but endurance is still a thing.

A luna empowered strike would penetrate/cut Whitebeard, but we all know that whitebeard doesnt die from a single cut.

I personally disagree because the attack is literally described as defense negation.

Well, if that's the case, I guess limited is right. But again, that's most likely a game mechanic in order to balance the game as Luna is a class skill that can be easily obtained. In the other games (where its rare) its just plain defense negation. But okay, I can agree with that reasoning.

"Limited Durability Negation"

But note that its likely game mechanics.

Alright. Does anybody wish to adjust the page accordingly?

Done.

"Limited Durability Negation via Luna (cuts the enemy's defense in half)"

Maybe "halves the enemy's defense" is a better wording?

"Halves the enemy's defence" should be fine.

Back