• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Issues with Nichirin's Calculation (One-Punch Man)

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
After going through a recent One-Punch Man CRT, I came across this calculation for Nichirin's feat in chapter 144 of the manga.

The gist of the feat / calculation is that Nichirin cuts a huge section of the ground in half, with the two halves separating from each other. The calculation aims to find the kinetic energy of the moving mass of earth.

The main issue I have with the calculation is the timeframe used for it, and the assumption used to find that timeframe. As stated here:

The Black Sperm seemed to be frozen in air from the prior panel to the panel where the slice actually took place:

Rock Velocity: 53.3808*3.5414/0.00275 = 68742.8237 m/s

The basis for this 'snail speed' method for the velocity calc is this section of our Slow Motion Calculations guidelines here:

Sometimes even something like "time seems frozen" or that nothing moves is stated. Often these kinds of statements are hyperbole. However, should that not be the case one may assume that the apparent speed of the reference object is less than or equal to 0.00275 m/s, as that's the top speed of garden snails, animals that move so slowly that they appear to be nearly frozen in our perspective. Various sources have measured the speed of snails at around 0.0024 m/s, and even going as slow as 0.001625 m/s.

The problem is that there is no statement here of time seeming frozen, or the Black Sperm being relatively motionless while the earth is moving. So there is no valid basis to use 'snail speed' here for them.

Furthermore, the Black Sperm don't even look motionless in the panel where we see the earth has moved. I added some rough arrows here to the panel to demonstrate what I mean; by the time we see the sections of earth have reached their final position, the two swarms of Black Sperm masses have surged forwards and plunged into the newly created gap.

A secondary issue I have is that the calc assumes that the entire mass of earth (the total mass of both halves) moved a distance of 53.3808 meters but that's only the widest gap between the rocks; it's not a consistent distance down the whole length of the split which narrows as it reaches the base. So this K.E. method doesn't work for what the feat actually is.

In conclusion, I think this calculation should be removed from the verse page. That is all that would currently be affected.

Back