• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is vs battle wiki inaccurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemonfan807 said:
Don't forget scaling a character to another character.

Like saying someone is island level simply because they can go toe to toe with an island buster.

Just because they can go toe to toe with an island buster doesn't necessarily mean that they can destroy islands.
I think you're thinking about Destructive Capacity, not Attack Potency.

Pokemonfan807 said:
Like saying someone is island level simply because they can go toe to toe with an island buster.

Just because they can go toe to toe with an island buster doesn't necessarily mean that they can destroy islands.
That's not what happens though. Character's attack potency can be island level from scaling, but that does not mean they have that range of damage.

DragonEmperor23 said:
Pokemonfan807 said:

That's not what happens though. Character's attack potency can be island level from scaling, but that does not mean they have that range of damage.
This is all we needed to fix all global problems yeet

You should have started with evidence like this before throwing baseless claims of fanboyism, inaccuracy and Admin abuse, which we can now see where do they come from. It is not the first time someone confuses Destructive Capacity and Attack Potency when trying to lecture us.

The notion a character even has island level AP (not DC) or MHS+ speed just from scaling can be hard to swallow, since it can practically be chalked up to PIS or the writers just straight up forgetting the power levels of characters.

Mr. Redic said:
The notion a character even has island level AP or a MHS+ speed just from scaling can be hard to swallow, since it can practically be chalked up to PIS or the writers just straight up forgetting the power levels of characters.
  • cough* Nuke level Spider-Man *cough*

Mr. Redic said:
The notion a character even has island level AP (not DC) or MHS+ speed just from scaling can be hard to swallow, since it can practically be chalked up to PIS or the writers just straight up forgetting the power levels of characters.
Regarding this, here is a good exaple of how we aren't mindlessly scaling everyone to everyone.

I mean yeah, sure, sometimes this site dosen't scale badly, but the scaling stuff can still get pretty dumb. For one example, no one should really think live-action non-powered characters in superhero franchises have a huge degree of super-speed beyond standard exaggerated action hero stuff. Sure, they supposedly scale to actually super fast characters, but any reasonable person knows that PIS is on in full-force so there could be a plot, and it should always be treated as an outlier no matter how many times they keep getting into fights with them.

I always feel like there is sometimes a lot of inaccuracy with the visual novel characters as well.

Because some visual novels are just so freakin stupidly op.

Pokemonfan807 said:
I always feel like there is sometimes a lot of inaccuracy with the visual novel characters as well.

This is self-apparent, admittedly

Yeah, but not to that extent (at least in live-action stuff), they're mostly meant and shown to be action movie heroes/low-end superhumans, wall level and bullet dodging is generally where they sit, it's only through scaling that this isn't the case in every profile I've seen here.

Mr. Redic said:
I mean yeah, sure, sometimes this site dosen't scale badly, but the scaling stuff can still get pretty dumb. For one example, no one should really think live-action non-powered characters in superhero franchises have a huge degree of super-speed beyond standard exaggerated action hero stuff. Sure, they supposedly scale to actually super fast characters, but any reasonable person knows that PIS is on in full-force so there could be a plot, and it should always be treated as an outlier no matter how many times they keep getting into fights with them.
That's not an outlier then. Call it PIS, but it isn't called an outlier by what you describe.

Pokemonfan807 said:
Mostly due to them usually being from early on in the sites cycle, with little to no revisions since the start. I/O is an example of one that I am working to clean up, although these verses are often just really powerful. I/O profiles have had a lot of issues, but that doesn't mean they aren't wall level characters dropping high hyperversal attacks lol

I'm not really trying to change the rules or profiles here, but come on, like really, I'm near-certain the only vastly superhuman stuff live-action normals get here is only through scaling, their actual feats/calcs are never as impressive.

well, one thing that really always impressed me with this wiki is that they pay attention to detail, and do some awesome ass calcs, even though i disagree a lot with the scaling lol no offense.

Well, I think that the staff members here are generally trying to be helpful and reasonable, and to build a positive atmosphere, and the community at large has spent a ridiculous amount of effort to make the profiles as accurate as we can manage.

However, some of the verses, such as Marvel, are ridiculously inconsistent and require very in-depth knowledge to revise properly, so we have a very hard time making those profiles reliable, which is very frustrating for me.

In addition, given the sheer number of franchises and profiles here, there are massive time constraints to how much we can constantly improve via revisions.

We do need a system to scale from in any case. That is part of the foundation for this type of wiki. Not all fictions will fit into it well, but we still need to have it, and the one we use works quite well for us overall.

Also, calculations are far more reliable overall than simply using intuitive guesswork.

Basically, we take our job here seriously, and are trying our best to be perfectionistic, but you cannot expect actual absolute reliability and perfection from us. That is not remotely realistic.

Yeah it takes so much time to fix the visual novels like I/O and all that.

It's because most very powerful visual novels are not well known to people.

As well as many being only released in japan and not in the U.S.

Which is why it takes so much time.

Giving my two cents:

I think the wiki is worth consideration due to the actual work and analysis behind its ratings, but don't just check the pages and take the rating at face value, but go deeper and find out the explanation behind said rating to reinforce your own interpretation.

The wiki is one of many point of views and possible interpretations. Within the wiki is fine to follow it, but for outside debating it's better to consider it and contrast to what other sources say. The site tries its best to be factual, but as mentioned, interpretation is a big part on VS analysis, and that changes a lot from source to source and inaccuracies and mistakes are inevitable.

However that's why the wiki has revisions and updates itself constantly to correct these and polish itself: its willing to accept its mistakes and correct them, however due to the sheer amount of content, different verses, limited staff and boatload of different interpretations from different people, they can't just change everything all time when something is proposed, it needs to be analyzed and discussed to ensure the changes are appropiate. Otherwise, Goku, Superman, Saitama and the like would have a different profile with every page refresh.

Playing devil's advocate for a bit, a good chunk of the bad rap the site gets comes from what seems to be the same issue: incredulity regarding how powerful fictional characters can be. I've... seen a couple of times the issue: someone is like "X is Town Level? No way!", but don't really try to find out why X was given that rating, tries to change the wiki or makes a thread claiming how the wiki is wrong but without sufficient backup just goes with his own interpretation, when he finds skepticism regarding his proposal or finds he can't just edit the page it leads to either confrontations or leaving disgruntled. After that, they go on other sites and say how the wiki is nonsense and how he was mistreated on it. That's not to say we are squeaky clean, though, we've all gotten things wrong or acter poorly at some point, it's just that "Your info is nonsense, X is totally Y tier, because he never blew up a town" or "This other site or user said X is Z tier, so you're wrong" without elaboration is not much to work with.

The opposite is also true, though, and some people want their preferred verses to be stronger than anything and actually feel offended when they find out the site doesn't consider said verse as formidable as they initially thought or a verse they dislike is stronger. This kinda makes the accusation of fanboyism feel hypocritical, given preference for a verse is the reason this issue happens many times.

So TL;DR:
We try to be as accurate as possible. A lot of times our opinion about something changes: a feat we considered an outlier is accepted (Looking at you 2-C Sonic the Hedgehog), a feat we considered reliable is now an outlier (Looking at you 6-B Steven Universe), and this is because we improve over time.

I take into consideration your desire to do your best to make consistent profiles, but to say as an excuse "that pxl calc palliate the lack of information and allows a better coherence in the profiles" while the pxl calc give precisely information much more distorted than the lack of information in itself, it's just weird as reasoning ... ƒñÀÔÇìÔÖÇ´©Å

If complicated work profiles are created and there are revisions to be done on them, it is necessary to take some time to reread the work in order to have the good information instead of making calculations in relation to pxl, which just do not respect the dimensions and the space represented ... ƒæÇ

I make an apartment, but it's also stupid to make profiles where characters have "Unknown" and others where pxl calc are made, while you could just mark "Unknown" if said pxl calc are supposed to overcome the lack of information ƒÆüÔÇìÔÖÇ´©Å

Okay, this might be because english is not my main language, but I didn't understand that last comment at all.

Since the original topic has been answered and dealt with, should we close this thread before it turns hostile or otherwise gets out of hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back