• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Incorrect RPG-7 blast radius and energy content?

I have come across the profile for the RPG-7 and it states: "Its theoretical explosive yield from its 10 meter lethal blast radius should be ~95,298,833 J"

I think this is incorrect and I have no idea how it was calculated. Regardless of the fact that 10 meter lethal blast radius is most probably exaggerated, the 50% lethality on human body from blast lung injury at low duration blasts (which occur with low yields) is something around 100-150 psi while the 95,298,833 J (about 25 kg TNT) has 100 psi peak overpressure at 3 meter at best.

So keeping the calculations above aside, could someone explain how 10 meter lethal blast radius corresponds to 25 kg of TNT?

For reference, the below is from The Effects of Nuclear Weapons by Samuel Glasstone and Philip J. Dolan Third Edition:
From observations made with small charges of chemical explosives, it has been estimated that deaths in humans would require sharp-rising effective overpressures as high as 200 to 400 (or more) pounds per square inch when the positive phase durations are less than a millisecond or so. These pressures may be compared with values of roughly 50 (or less) to about 100 pounds per square inch, with positive phase durations of the order of a second, for nuclear explosions.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be to hard to find it.

So if anyone can find out whatever ОМ 100МИ-3Л is we can get a Relative Effectiveness factor and field the yield in kilogram of TNT
My problem is actually with this statement: Its theoretical explosive yield from its 10 meter lethal blast radius should be ~95,298,833 J

I want to know how 10 meters of lethal radius corresponds to this amount of energy because I doubt it is remotely correct.

Plus you can find here that 1.9 kg of the thermobaric mixture which should be similar to the one used in RPG-7 is equivalent to 8 kg of TNT, putting us at around 9 kg of equivalent TNT yield for the RPG-7

My problem is actually with this statement: Its theoretical explosive yield from its 10 meter lethal blast radius should be ~95,298,833 J

I want to know how 10 meters of lethal radius corresponds to this amount of energy because I doubt it is remotely correct.

Plus you can find here that 1.9 kg of the thermobaric mixture which should be similar to the one used in RPG-7 is equivalent to 8 kg of TNT, putting us at around 9 kg of equivalent TNT yield for the RPG-7
Via the air-burst formula

10 meters is 0.01 km

Formula for air-burst is this

Yield in megatons= (radius in km/0.28)^3)/1000, which you then divide by two for non-nuclear air-burst explosions only (This rule doesn't apply to ground-based explosions, nor would RPGs exploding be a ground explosion since they explode above the ground in mid-air)

((0.01/0.28)^3)/1000)= 4.55539359e-8 megatons of TNT or 0.0455539359 tons of TNT. Divide by 2 and you get 0.02277696795 tons of TNT or 95298833.9028 J

Last edited:
Via the air-burst formula

10 meters is 0.01 km

Formula for air-burst is this

Yield in megatons= (radius in km/0.28)^3)/1000, which you then divide by two for non-nuclear air-burst explosions only (This rule doesn't apply to ground-based explosions, nor would RPGs exploding be a ground explosion since they explode above the ground in mid-air)

((0.01/0.28)^3)/1000)= 4.55539359e-8 megatons of TNT or 0.0455539359 tons of TNT. Divide by 2 and you get 0.02277696795 tons of TNT or 95298833.9028 J
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I got that.

The confusion is probably because of the different definitions of "lethal". It is agreed here that the lethal blast radius occurs at 20 psi while I was looking at the overpressure for blast lung which occurs at ~100 psi. Just two different definitions but now I know how this was calculated.

In any case, there is absolutely no way the 10 meter lethal radius figure is correct and is probably just an exaggeration to show off military capabilities . 20 psi will kill people from collapsing buildings and not from injuries in the open. Heck I have seen videos for people surviving a Hellfire missile with a similar TNT yield that landed 2 meters beside them

I'm not sure if that works for IRL stuff with known scientific measurements.
Well in that case IDK, since the StarDestroyer nuke calculator doesn't go that low and will refuse to work with values that small.

Best to ask DontTalk then.

I'm not sure if that works for IRL stuff with known scientific measurements.
The increase in the overpressure from an air-blast over that of a surface blast is due to the merger between both the incident shockwave and the shockwave reflected from the ground. Theoretically, it should be applicable to any yield but the process is very complex and unless both shockwaves have completely merged, the increase in the total incident overpressure won't happen and the object will feel two consecutive shockwaves instead.

Would appreciate the input from someone who knows more about this.

Well 8.385 KG of TNT equivalent material gets you 35,082,840 Joules. So it would still be 9-A

I've been wondering where the exact source came from myself, but I normally do trust KLOL with some of these things. I know the actual blast radius is technically much higher, but more than 10 meters is pretty much weak when inverse square law is taken into account. But if people think the RPG-7 may be moderately high balled, I can see why. Though, I know most explosions close to the ground are often calculated using overpressure bearing; though the fireball radius of the RPG-7 would be much smaller than a 10 meter radius in said examples.

I've been wondering where the exact source came from myself, but I normally do trust KLOL with some of these things. I know the actual blast radius is technically much higher, but more than 10 meters is pretty much weak when inverse square law is taken into account. But if people think the RPG-7 may be moderately high balled, I can see why. Though, I know most explosions close to the ground are often calculated using overpressure bearing; though the fireball radius of the RPG-7 would be much smaller than a 10 meter radius in said examples.
I remember Bambu telling me that if you're more than 1 meter away from an explosion's epicenter the yield you tank is about 1/16 that of the OG boom.

Assuming a cross sectional area of 0.68 m^2, it's like 1/18.4852941176 of the energy from one meter away from the epic center.

Back