• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Include Sheering Strength as a destruction value?

FanofRPGs

VS Battles
Retired
Hello, it has come to my notice that many feats involve splitting rocks or stone or the like. This has brought me to the idea of including "Shearing Strength" into the calculations page to calculate feats such as what was mentioned prior.

In engineering, shear strength is the strength of a material or component against the type of yield or structural failure where the material or component fails in shear. A shear load is a force that tends to produce a sliding failure on a material along a plane that is parallel to the direction of the force.
~ -Wikipedia
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/grading-terms-d_1721.html

The value for shearing strength for Granite (Good baseline rock) is 103.421250 joule per cubic centimeter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_strength

Bump

May this be included on the destruction list? It would be helpful for various feats in which a boulder, building, or pretty much any object is split in half in some fashion. It would be a very useful addition to our calculations page.

Furthermore, we could include values for baseline metal and concrete if needed (and if I can find them)

I've used Shearing Strength and Alakabamm used it to upgrade Madara in the past, so I don't think we have rules against it. I'd be fine with adding values to the page if others are up for it.

Do you wish to create a new specific page that can be linked to in the main calculation instructions pages, or write a new section for one of them?

Perhaps it would be better to move this thread to the calc group forum?

Antvasima said:
Do you wish to create a new specific page that can be linked to in the main calculation instructions pages, or write a new section for one of them?
Perhaps it would be better to move this thread to the calc group forum?
Perhaps we may make a page dedicated to all forms of calculations regarding destruction (fragmentation, buckling, shearing, pulverizing, vaporizing, atomizing, annihilating)? A page soley for shearing strength would be overkill in my opinion.

Yeah, it may be more appropriate for this thread to be moved to the Calc Group Forum.

On a simple level it could work for rocks and small things like that, then feats go crazy and people start slicing planets and suns, etc.

Unite My Rice said:
On a simple level it could work for rocks and small things like that, then feats go crazy and people start slicing planets and suns, etc.
Well obviously, we have GBE for a reason.

Anyways, we should, if possible, include shearing strength for metals (Namely iron and structural steel) too. Would you agree?

All our destruction values, from fragmentation to violent fagmentstion, comes from Shear Strength. Splitting material use UTS, meanwhile, bend it use tensile strength (yield). However, the last two can't be converted to the typical J/cc (can't use volume cuz nothing was "destroyed", just separated).

Antoniofer said:
All our destruction values, from fragmentation to violent fagmentstion, comes from Shear Strength. Splitting material use UTS, meanwhile, bend it use tensile strength (yield). However, the last two can't be converted to the typical J/cc (can't use volume cuz nothing was "destroyed", just separated).
Okay, so you're suggesting that we shouldn't include Shearing Strength?

Shearing Strength is already included, what isn't nor can't be included is Tensile Strength; our system doesn't deal with pressure (that kind).

Hmm, didn't remember that calc; however, it seems that calculing cutting stuff will yield pretty low results.

Back