• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I'm leaving lads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only just now saw this as well. I don't know if you're still lurking this thread, but I'll respond to some of your points anyways just in case you are, or if anyone wants to read my take.

Up front: I hope you take care of yourself and find something which you're passionate about that makes you happy.
What's the actual point? It is just constant arguing and ruining interactions in between people who otherwise could have been friends. Of course you can meet people here and i did meet some good people i wanna keep in touch with but that means jack shit when in this next thread you're gonna argue with someone for days about what character has a more ridiculous degree of [insert whatever ability you have here] and end up never wanting to see them anywhere in a debate or CRT again.
I can certainly see where you're coming from with this. According to Linguistic Relativity Theory, the language we use influences the way we think: and the concept of war, battle, or competition are baked into the language we use for debate. Arguments are won, you present a defense, the other person is your opponent, and positions can be shot down. You attack your opponents position and defend yours, you gain and lose ground, you use a strategy, and may abandon it for another angle of attack if it fails.

This causes English speakers to view debate as conflict, which is largely why they may feel that disagreeing on something is a negative thing which harms a relationship. In contrast, some other languages equate argument more closely to a discussion, where the goal isn't to "win" but to "reach a deeper understanding of the topic", or simply "to be accurate".

That is how I feel about debate, and I know many in this community share that sentiment. It's fun to express my ideas and hear the ideas of others, while at the same time building my understanding of the fictional characters which I feel passionate enough about to debate. If I get into a heated debate, and even if I lose the debate by the general consensus, there is nothing personal about it to me. Disagreeing with me on whether Spongebob or Johnny Test would win in a fight does not affect my opinion of someone: I'll be more than happy to see them again in another thread regardless.
I mean that's what you get when you build a community around arguing. I see no joy in this and when something doesn't give you any wealth, any great amount of connections, joy, pleasure... What's the point of doing it? 10 years pass and this place could easily get forgotten.
It's a hobby, and one that I enjoy. If we're really being cynical, then nothing has a point. In ten years you could be dead, or the country could be consumed by nuclear fire. Eventually you'll die regardless, and your contributions will almost certainly mean very little in the grand scheme of things. What really matters is that the time you spend makes you happy. You don't get extra credit in the afterlife for being rich.
I feel like at this point the wiki turned from "which character is stronger" to "What verse has the most active supporters" as the less supporters there are the least CRTs go through.
This is a valid point, but there's not much which can be done about it. People simply aren't motivated to research and develop characters they don't care about.
Screw y'alls attitude. You are debating whether or not can Spongebob destroy a galaxy why th are you tryna act more sophisticated than a freaking Attorney?
This is simply how I write. I certainly do not speak in a sophisticated manner, but the functions of the brain which dictate speech and writing are technically different.

Though, in general: I think that maintaining a certain faux-professionalism is simply the best way to maintain both clarity and a polite environment.
A bunch of people who have any bit of power have been acting like they're the aristocracy or something, talking down to you and acting like you're lower than them despite the fact that they could be potentially some 250 pound dude sitting in their mom's basement eating nachos.
It's unfortunate that you're resorting to stereotypes for this point. I don't think someone's weight dictates how much respect they demand.
However, you do make a good point about the attitude of some of the staff members. Some of them certainly do talk down to regular members, even going as far as to invent slang like "bluenames". While I do believe that authority figures are essential for a civil community to function properly, I also believe that everyone deserves respect, and I wish that regular members had even marginal weight in CRTs. I proposed that the popular vote be worth a single staff vote, but was shot down.
'Course another reason why I'm leaving is that real life exists and exam preparations exist and "trying to have some fun elsewhere without thinking about some weird ass CRT" exists. I got a life, i got an education and i got severe sleep deprivation, damn fun innit.
Of course, your real-life obligations, and even your personal desires definitely outweigh the importance of this wiki. Again, I hope you're doing well and enjoying life.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see a comment on a dead thread (cause i ended up staying cause i found a new passion for calcs and pokemon crts) but anyways, your points are generally valid. By "more sophisticated than an attornet" I meant the way people begin talking in this overly professional manner and start patronizing you, that is what i meant, not casual formal speech. An example would be Imaginyum, a person whom i favor who speaks formally. What i dislike is people acting posh for no reason.

You don't get extra credit in the afterlife for being rich.
Yeah that's the funny part, i ain't rich and i dont care about riches. What i meant before was, if something doesn't bring you joy then there's no point in doing it if you're not getting paid.

And about your point regarding debates, tue problem is that despite there being really good debates (I had a blast arguing in Koon Ran vs Queen Wasp match), often debates get turned into heated interactions which cause problems. Due to this nature it feels oppressive and unpleasant.

Anyways idk if I'll ever leave but for now I'm having fun so i ain't. I found things that i do enjoy around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back