• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I think I made a mistake somewhere and I need some input

ArbitraryNumbers

VS Battles
Retired

In the first feat I'm calculating in the blog, I attempted to calc the durability needed to take the depicted explosion. But in the higher end, I ended up with a value that is actually higher than the total yield of the explosion.

I'm assuming the issue came from one of two things:
  • The page for explosion yield calculations mentions that the formula works best for when the explosion is relatively large at the point of hitting the target. In this case, the character in question was taking the explosion up close.
  • For the explosion yield, I used an energy value gained from destruction rather than an airburst radius calc.
Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to know what went wrong before I continure using the same method for the rest of the feats I intend to calc in the same blog.

Yeah you definitely screwed up.

You forgot to account for the distance between the bomb and the person properly.

Intensity in tons of TNT per m^2 = Explosion Yield in Tons of TNT / (4π((Distance from Bomb in meters)^2))

Energy tanked = Intensity * Cross-sectional Area

Intensity (8.6 tons of TNT) = 8.6 / (4π((0.5915493)^2)) = 1.95572009278 tons of TNT per m^2

Energy tanked = 1.95572009278 * 0.68 = 1.3298896630904 tons of TNT tanked

Intensity (1.035 kilotons of TNT, 4.33045e+12 J is 1.035 kilotons of TNT) = 1035 / (4π((0.5915493)^2)) = 235.368639073 tons of TNT per m^2

Yield tanked = 235.368639073 * 0.68 = 160.05067456964 tons of TNT tanked

Thank you for your input. I was confused at first when I read your response but now I understand. It seems I divided by two instead of squaring by two.

Also, I didn't forget to apply the formula in the third calc. I simply didn't want to continue with the calcs until I figured out what went wrong the first time I tried the formula.

Back