• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I am leaving the wiki forever

Sorry if this is out of nowhere or unexpected but quite frankly I need to get this off my chest and get out of here. I wont go over every reason for leaving, but one thing I want to at least get of my chest is well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMSiVn6vpQ

Just being unquantfiable
For starters. Throwing all of fiction, verses that have nowhere near the same physics, logic, cosmology or rules into one conformed system just doesn't work in any circumstances and makes powerscaling fiction basically unquantifiable. That should honestly be self explanatory. But as a simple example.

Say you have two verses. Verse 1 has the gap between baseline low 2-C (destroying a baseline universe sized space time with 100% of your power) and 2-C as being only a few times. With someone infinitely above Low 2-C being 2-A. With a low 2-C being able to somewhat physically content with a 2-C. Verse 2 has the gap between baseline low 2-C and 2-C however as being infinite (on the same dimension at least).

So how do we treat it? If we have the Low 2-Cs and 2-Cs of those verses being equal to their tier then, this just disregards the canon information that the 2-C from verse 2 should be infinitely above the Low 2-C from verse 1, while the 2-C from verse 1 is only finitely superior, making the 2-C basically able to destroy infinite universes if they went into verse one as well. The only way we can make that work properly is if we scale our system entirely on mathematics and statements on the gap between characters, even more so than our current system. But in this case, we could easily have clear 2-Bs one shotting clear 2-As simply because of lack of statements despite the 2-As feats being better in every way.

This is a vague example and probably a discussion of its own, and I can bring in many more than this. But the point is, your going to have to pull out your own logic in when it comes to trying to make all of fiction work in one confined system and make many illogical jumps to make it work in some way. And in the end, nothing is truly factual when it comes to quantifying fiction. No matter how many revisions you carry out, and no matter how much you go over your standards. You will never be able to accurately portray and compare all of fiction.

Ultimately creates a mess
And my second reason is. Vs debating messes up the mind. What I mean by that is, when youre look at a verse that has nothing to do with powerscaling, and you analyse it for finding its power levels, youre not getting an accurate interpretation of the verse. Youre looking at the series for something that it never put focus on and as a result, completely disregard factors like authors intent, how the verse treats itself and even lore and story sometimes. The only way to look at a verse accurately is if you get into its story, gain a deep understanding of the verse, and leave power scaling for afterwards. Point is, when you start getting into vs debating, you naturally start to look at an aspect of the series that was never meant to be focused on, and as a result, lose perception of what the series actually is and blow it out of proportion. Which not only throws the accuracy of your scaling out the window, but can even block out the actual experience and messages you are supposed to take from the story. Which makes it much harder to appreciate a good story for what it is.

And I can guarantee, that the majority of knowledgeable fans of these verses, who normally don't touch power scaling or care for it, would look at most of our characters statistics and see them as being ridiculous.

Or as someone else has put it for me. "A verse not meant for powerscaling is a decent amount of verses. Unless you're something like dragon ball z where you narrate the power of the characters, you might just have some sense of some of the characters placements. Kingdom Hearts does the same thing because people are really questioning literally why Sora can go from struggling with lower Organization members to fighting against X-Blade Xehanort. Most stories are going to focus on what looks cool versus what's more practical, then you have powerscalers coming to ruin it."

The minset of focusing on powerscaling can even screw up many fanbases, overpowered visual novels being a good example. Ive seen people in youtube comment section literally calling gods in the masadaverse "1-A's" instead of their actual names, and cluttering youtube comment sections with so much bragging of power levels, it puts dragon ball to shame. Same for verse like umineko where it's reached the point where umineko fans hate people who only get into it for powerscaling. These people who only care about the scaling for the verse are not real fans (and don't even get me started with sean and undertale). And once their verses get downgraded and get found out to be weak, they will suddenly stop liking it due to no longer having an op verse to debate with. They dont appreciate the verse. They just want a powerful verse. Sometimes even going as far as to spread false information and biasely downgrading other verses to make that happen.

And well
There are problems I do have related the wiki itself, which have absolutely pushed my ******* limits and drove me to not wanting to be involved with this place at all. But I don't want to whip up another bible chapter nor cause a bunch of controversy on this thread. This is just my personal view on power scaling, so feel free to take it as you will. But in the end, don't take fictional tiering seriously or overwork yourself over it. Its just not worth it for something that doesn't add up to anything logical or conclusive to begin with.

Also im aware I was supposed to revise undertale. But at this point, partly due to some of the shit being pulled here, id rather just not get into it anymore, especially since my motivation was taken away a while ago for other reasons. If you want to take any information from this blog however, feel free to do so.

Ill be on discord if anyone needs me. But for further notice, I want absolutely nothing to do with this wiki or powerscaling for that matter. If you wanna know my problems with this place then dms are fine. But outside of that, I wont respond to any discussions related to tiering or this wiki. Im done. Ive got better things to move on to anyway. Id mention all the people i know on this wiki and give my respect to but, eh. I can always do that on the server. I hope i see you guys there and soon. Take care, and goodbeye.

Before anyone takes this the wrong way, i dont intend to come across as some crazy, overthinking, obsessed idiot who holds a grudge against power scaling and this wiki and wants everyone else to quit. Ive felt this way about it for at least a year and is not my only reason for outright going, though may have been heavily responsible for my lack of motivation, and i just feel like getting my thoughts across.

I dont mind if its too long to read. Just read the "and well" section in that case since thats the main part about me quitting lol.

Oh and one more thing. Not sure if anyones going to see this, but ant as im aware is one of the few people i know that doesnt have discord. If you do see this and ever wanna speak again well, you can always get discord or just tell me some other way if you ever want to about anything. Anyway, im disabling my account now. Hopefully this isnt a goodbeye lol

Tbh, I have to agree. I think a lot of people can be consumed by powerscaling and can't see the other enjoyable qualities if you go in with a set mindset. I've had a few verses where I've dropped debating them entirely because people would ruin it with a lot of the immense lowballing or highballing that when you have to keep dealing with over and over, you can start to dislike a series because the people associated with it are ruining your experience (pretty much bad how bad fandoms start).

Anyway, enjoy your leave and stay safe.

Aww

Well this is your decision and if you feel this is the best, then go for it. Everyone will support you~

I also would have to agree on this as well. Time and time again, I remember seeing various people be in the same scenario that you been through. @Ploz makes a fair point on how over analyzing verses that aren't intended to focus on powerscaling leads to bad fandoms that ruins the mindset of others instead of simply just enjoying the series & the importance to the main purpose about what the author does for its audience/readers in said series altogether.

Well, personally I enjoy trying to index and evaluate fiction as accurately as I can manage, but never cared about versus matchups or comparisons between different series, and I respect if this is not for you anymore. Good luck and take care of yourself in any case.

Oh well, it was good having you around, I hope you check casual chatting here every now and then.

I never focus that much into power levels, in fact, I don't even follow power leveling YouTube channels, I just find the stuff myself most of the time, in fact, Vs. debating has helped me get even more into lore than even the wiki of the series would grant.

Getting to understand how X work is interesting and allows for good discussions about the series with others, powerscaling may not be the centric part of a plot, but that's the true nature of the wiki, to try to put the mess into something consistent. Even I have ideas that the wiki would never accept (Like Smash being canon...), but I still learned useful stuff from all of the series I'm on in the end.

Overall, getting to know this sort of stuff isn't a curse, it's a blessing, that you get it ingrained to the point you can see something the same way happens often, but don't let that force you out of something you liked before, after all, power levels are rarely author intent.

Back