• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How much energy would it take to illuminate a universe of this size?

formula for the volume of a sphere
V = (4/3) * π * r^3
plugging in the radius of 8.7998051e27 m, i got a volume of 4.0284084e83 m^3

lets assume we need 1 lumen per cubic meter to properly illuminate the volume. we need 4.0284084e83 lumens.

since a watt is equivalent to 1/683 lumens. 4.0284084e83 lumens equates to 5.8893647e89 watts.

scaling this by the illumination time of 1 second, the total energy required is 5.8893647e89 joules

formula for the volume of a sphere
V = (4/3) * π * r^3
plugging in the radius of 8.7998051e27 m, i got a volume of 4.0284084e83 m^3

lets assume we need 1 lumen per cubic meter to properly illuminate the volume. we need 4.0284084e83 lumens.

since a watt is equivalent to 1/683 lumens. 4.0284084e83 lumens equates to 5.8893647e89 watts.

scaling this by the illumination time of 1 second, the total energy required is 5.8893647e89 joules
Damn, I wasn't expecting it to be that high. Would the results be different if calculated like same way like the one from the references for common feats?

yes, the blog calculated based on the apparent magnitude and luminosity of the brightest star in the universe. mines assumed a uniform luminous intensity across the entire universe.

the blog used the inverse square law of light, i didnt. it scaled the luminosity of the star to the light year distance of the universe, i just used the volume of the universe.

i think you should just use the blog, seems more accurate.

yes, the blog calculated based on the apparent magnitude and luminosity of the brightest star in the universe. mines assumed a uniform luminous intensity across the entire universe.

the blog used the inverse square law of light, i didnt. it scaled the luminosity of the star to the light year distance of the universe, i just used the volume of the universe.

i think you should just use the blog, seems more accurate.
I see, that's interesting to know. Also I did try to use the blog at first but I never figured out what the Log part is in the calc.

I see, that's interesting to know. Also I did try to use the blog at first but I never figured out what the Log part is in the calc.
log is short for logarithmic function, you need the base and the number itself. If you're not given a base, assume it's base 10. Logarithm is the inverse of exponents. 10^2 is 100 (10 times itself 2 times is 100), log(100) is 2 (how many times do you have to multiply 10 by itself to get 100?)

log is short for logarithmic function, you need the base and the number itself. If you're not given a base, assume it's base 10. Logarithm is the inverse of exponents. 10^2 is 100 (10 times itself 2 times is 100), log(100) is 2 (how many times do you have to multiply 10 by itself to get 100?)
Alright, I think I get it and L in the calc is the Sun's luminosity wich is 3.486*10^26, correct or is it a different number since it would use 3.486*10^26 twice?

Back