• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Henry (Fire Emblem) vs Randall Flagg

Do all/most of Flagg's abilities count as curses? Because otherwise Henry has like no resistance to them. (I'm not too familiar with the guy tbh.)

Depends on how much Henry wants Flagg to die, if all Flagg needs is a smile

Most of his arsenal isn't fast enough

Most

It depends entirely on if one can classify Flaggs abilitys as curses or not and if they run on some King Crimson shenanigens (dunno anything about Dark Tower). If no then Flag takes this handily, if yes then Henry throws his stuff back at im and drains him are transmute him. But i can kinda guess what is correct. Voting Flagg

"However, I am curious how you managed to dispatch the creature. You did not clasp it in your hand, nor cast any spell I could fathom." -Miriel, wondering how Henry was able to kill a snake without taking action

Inconclusive, Henry could think, or Flagg could smile if Henry doesn't lead with it

JustSomeWeirdo said:
"You did not clasp it in your hand, nor cast any spell I could fathom." -Miriel, wondering how Henry was able to kill a snake without taking action

Inconclusive, Henry could think, or Flagg could smile if Henry doesn't lead with it
Miriel x Henry? Odd taste you got there buddy owo. But yeah incon for me too. Unlikley but Henry if Flaggs abilitys count as curses.

@JSW

I legit never thought of it that way.

But yeah, Inconclusive leaning towards Henry FRA

Finding Henry matches is gonna be even harder now.

Should be noted that Flagg passively mind-reads his opponents unless they have telepathic protection of some kind, just like most psychics from Stephen King's works. So if Henry can't block mind reading, then Flagg starts off the match knowing what the latter is going to do.

I'll look at Henry's profile in a minute.

Now that I've read and reread Henry's profile, I can say with absolute certainty that I'm going to need context.

So...yeah. What're the specifics on what he can do?

Whichever ones matter/will be useful in getting him the win, mostly.

Suppose I'll start with time manipulation, blood manipulation and death manipulation, since those seem like the most dangerous things on the list. How are those activated, and how likely is he to begin the fight with one of those options?

EDIT: Alright, so I scrolled up and saw the example for death manipulation (I think?), so I suppose all I've got left to ask about that is how likely he is to use it right out of the gate.

Also, to answer the question from earlier-ish, most of Flagg's powers probably wouldn't count as curses. A bunch of his abilities are mental, and another good number of them are just miscellaneous magic spells involving things like matter transmutation, putting people to sleep, cutting off their ability to breathe, literally just killing them/putting them out of their misery...

The closest thing to an actual "curse" that I can think of would be the sleeping spell he used on Roland in The Gunslinger, since the latter didn't wake up from that until several years later. That's about it, though.

Time Manipulation - With a small incantation, he can reverse time for an object, but it will be brought back to their original state after a while (For example, he used it on some broken bowls, which temporarily fixed them) or, when used on a person, would put them into an endless loop ("See, so if something bad happens to someone and you cast it on them... They have to experience that same tragedy over and over again! Nya ha!")

Blood Manipulation - That's really only there for indexing purposes, it's unknown how it actually works ("See, 'cause I've got one that makes blood come out your—")

Death Manipulation - Well, he has 3 curses

I'll go in order of what's listed in his profile

First, the slow and painful death, which requires prep, Sully asked for Henry to curse her, and as he was struggling due to her willpower, he decided on a much stronger curse. Henry then found her with a high fever, a burning chest, and a hard time breathing, after dispelling the curse, he then confirmed she was going to die, although she "totally still had five or six solid minutes left, though."

Second, the "instant death upon a mortal wound", Maribelle feared having a painful death, Henry then gave a solution "—I've got a special curse ready, see? Been working on it for a while now. If you're mortally wounded, it kills you off before you suffer any pain! Just...poof. Off ya go!"

Third, when Miriel was about to be attacked by a snake she was unable to notice, it just died, that's it, Miriel even comments on Henry's lack of action

From what I gather, the most useful thing there is the last one, since Flagg almost certainly doesn't have counter for it. The rest are kind of null, since A) the ones involving prep...well, involve prep, B) the one that involves mortal wounds doesn't matter when Flagg's durability is already Wall level, and C) 90% of Flagg's spells, attacks, etc. outpace the rest. Most of his stuff only requires a handwave, a couple of words ("Stop breathing.") or a single thought, and he's got a pretty solid history of using whatever power or spell a situation requires. There's also the whole "mind control just by smiling a certain way" thing.

I can tell you right now that some of Henry's other stuff won't work on him either. For one, he sees through illusions and resists mindhax. (which empathic manip is a subset of) For two, he can change into and out of animal forms quite easily, and is also capable of using his magic while transformed into an animal. So turning him into a toad is an option that will backfire horribly.

I probably shouldn't have to explain why summoning minions is a bad idea when your opponent has mind control.

I might be wrong, but it seems like Henry only has a couple of reliable ways to put Flagg down, whereas the latter can use...almost anything he's got. Given that, on top of his ESP, passive mind reading and general mobility advantage, he probably takes this more times than not. IMO

Risen are corpses being controlled by these bugs, he also summons what he considers to be an army, but it probably wouldn't matter considering he needs to draw a sigil first

He also can't control them in the first place, and they'd honestly try killing both of them

I mean, Flagg has controlled large groups of animals before (several dozen wolves once, hundreds of weasels another time) as well as an entire bar full of people, so unless those bugs have mind resistance, that probably won't make much difference.

Though, yeah, him needing to draw a sigil most likely renders that moot anyway, so the point is whatever. And if Henry can't control them in the first place, then that's even worse.

Henry's plan for the Risen was to draw the sigil and then watch from a safe distance, something he also probably wouldn't do in combat

Back