• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Genshin Impact Traveler's Intelligence

Nehz_XZX

He/Him
VS Battles
Content Moderator
I think that the Traveler's Intelligence section is a bit lackluster and that it would be perfectly possible to make some noteworthy additions.

In the About Us: Legacy voice-over Ei implies that the Traveler's skills are good enough or at least close to being good enough to found their own martial arts tradition. Feelings about Ascension: Conclusion further adds to this by basically saying that the Traveler is good enough to help Ei improve the Musou no Hitotachi. This makes sense when you consider that the Traveler defeated Ei in their second fight after they were empowered by the ambitions of those whose Visions were taken since they would presumably need to keep up with Ei's techniques and skill unless they just overpowered and outsped her.

In Zhongli's first Story Quest the Traveler is described by Zhongli as good at finding treasures and opening treasure chests which is quite credible if you consider the number of quests that involve finding and opening treasure chests. The different puzzles required for various treasure chests in the game would give the Traveler good puzzle skills. There is also the fact that the Traveler is portrayed as a generally competent adventurer with a good number of commissions involving more than just fighting or not even involving fighting at all.

Based on the Traveler's voice-overs, their prior knowledge of devices like the Kamera and More About Kamisato Ayato: V the Traveler has access to a not insignificant amount of knowledge gathered from their travels across different worlds though the lack of details makes it hard to quantify despite us knowing that the Traveler has witnessed the birth and death of stars. We do know based on various scenes and voice-overs that the Traveler is very capable as a cook. Based on the characters' Companion dialogue it appears that the Traveler is good at designing the interior of houses and arranging various items and buildings within the space of the Serenitea Pot though construction is a lot easier there.

Last edited:
Damn a Genshin thread. Anyway here's my 2 cent on the thing above.

Marital arts: NO, we got skill stomped by Childe and skill isn't something you just forget due to amnesia or lost of power. Saying that the traveler suddenly went from being skill stomped by a person who is way less masterful in a single art of combat then someone who's laughably inferior to Raiden, to being comparable to her in the span of like a month or 2 is a nonsense, the accelarated development is only in their raw power as they journey on, not skill. It's more likely that they out ap and speed her along with the healing that the vision give basically allow them to outlast her, that and she doesn't even look defeat at all, she simply give up.

Puzzle and treasure finding: agree but isn't this already on their profile?

Misc: the pre-Teyvat knowlegde is unquantifiable yes so let's just not list it. The fact that he's good at interior design and cooking is a good note, altho i'm also kinda sus on the previous since the supposed decorations is made as an entire package without any clue whether it's the birb or the traveler themselve who did it, since we did get the blueprint for it after all so i'm more incline to say that either the birb did it for us or we just follow the guide, tho it's still a skill since you still need to know how to do it even if you follow a guide.

Marital arts: NO, we got skill stomped by Childe and skill isn't something you just forget due to amnesia or lost of power. Saying that the traveler suddenly went from being skill stomped by a person who is way less masterful in a single art of combat then someone who's laughably inferior to Raiden, to being comparable to her in the span of like a month or 2 is a nonsense, the accelarated development is only in their raw power as they journey on, not skill. It's more likely that they out ap and speed her along with the healing that the vision give basically allow them to outlast her, that and she doesn't even look defeat at all, she simply give up.

Puzzle and treasure finding: agree but isn't this already on their profile?
Marital instead of martial sounds weird in this context. Skill is indeed not something you'd lose due to amnesia or losing power though I'm pretty sure that the Traveler doesn't have amnesia and they presumably do indeed still have all of the skill they previously had in terms of swordsmanship or general fighting skills. I do recall the cutscene of Childe having the upper hand against the Traveler though it does seem as if the Traveler had reserved some trump cards like being able to use multiple elements at once and they then proceeded to apparently hold their own against Childe's Foul Legacy Transformation and still had more than enough stamina to help against Osial. Childe also seems to rather consistently hold the Traveler's capabilities in high regard in his dialogue. Do we have a canon timeframe between the fight against Childe and the fights against Ei? Yae Miko said that Ei lost and Ei agreed, so it's unlikely that the Traveler didn't match or surpass her in some way in that fight. Outlasting is definitely not an option due to her being able to fight for 500 years. I guess it would be hard to tell where Ei's voice-overs fit into the chronology though since we don't get much context beyond what she is saying but I don't think that we should outright ignore that they exist.

It isn't even mentioned.

Last edited:
Lol, typo. Childe regard our overall combat prowes in high regard, not just our swordsmanship, he was merely impressed by our swordsmanship but that's more of praising that we were pretty good in the context. As for the timeframe, we don't know, but it's definitely not enough for them to even reach Childe level of skill let alone Ayaka or Ei, they have all those millions of years and they are no stranger to combat so it's definitely impossible for them to reach their skill level in like a year best if they can't do it before Teyvat.

Ei lost but that's simply due to the amp and how her attack are just ineffective due to the healing and sheer endurance the the visions give, as it's simply impossible for the traveler to reach such level of skill in that short amount of time in comparision to their entire career of combat before Teyvat. Voiceline is in general canon but we do need to take some with a grain of salt, like the ascension line, we don't know when the line take place but it's impossible for it to be now, maybe in the future they might get to that level but for now they definitely aren't.

Lol, typo. Childe regard our overall combat prowes in high regard, not just our swordsmanship, he was merely impressed by our swordsmanship but that's more of praising that we were pretty good in the context. As for the timeframe, we don't know, but it's definitely not enough for them to even reach Childe level of skill let alone Ayaka or Ei, they have all those millions of years and they are no stranger to combat so it's definitely impossible for them to reach their skill level in like a year best if they can't do it before Teyvat.

Ei lost but that's simply due to the amp and how her attack are just ineffective due to the healing and sheer endurance the the visions give, as it's simply impossible for the traveler to reach such level of skill in that short amount of time in comparision to their entire career of combat before Teyvat. Voiceline is in general canon but we do need to take some with a grain of salt, like the ascension line, we don't know when the line take place but it's impossible for it to be now, maybe in the future they might get to that level but for now they definitely aren't.
Overall combat prowess is presumably the elemental powers, mobility and tactical decision-making on top of the swordsmanship? You've previously said that we can't really quantify what the Traveler learned before they came to Teyvat, so using that as an antifeat doesn't seem appropriate since we hardly know any details about their time before Teyvat. Even if you want to argue that the swordsmanship skill is worse the overall combat prowess is apparently enough against Childe and if that combat prowess was enough against Ei to the point of genuinely challenging her, then that would be noteworthy. Actually, when was it stated or shown that the Traveler was worse than Ayaka in terms of skill? I know that she has some good feats and statements but when did we get a comparison with the Traveler here?

Endurance and healing do seem like factors that helped the Traveler but based on what Ei has shown in her second Story Quest she is a lot more impressive in that regard. This still leaves the amplification of the Traveler's statistics which can be considered somewhat credible due to Kazuha being able to defend against a strike from the Raiden Shogun with two Visions though it's hard to imagine that outright overpowering or outspeeding someone on the level of Ei would be that simple even with the support Yae Miko provides. Yae Miko also viewed it apparently as necessary to put the Traveler through Anti-Raiden Shogun Training, so I guess that in conjunction with the boost from the ambitions of the confiscated Visions was what gave the Traveler the decisive edge. I don't think it's really stated how exactly the Traveler beat Ei after receiving that boost, so I guess there is some room for interpretation.

Really you are thinking too hard here, the traveler was able to beat Ei was cause of the amp and he got previous experience against her and training to specificly deal with her attack, if 1 vision was enough to make Kazuha jump to Ei level, 99 would be more than enough to far surpass her, no matter how skilled she's, being slower than someone by a tremendous degree wouldn't allow her to hit anything.

Also as for Ayaka, her japanese translation state that she's basically the grandmaster of her clan swordsmanship, having learn all that she can and master all of it, while Childe is merely a overall master of the weapons so Ayaka skill in a blade would be massively superior to that of Childe, so it stand to reason that the traveler is just worse at swordsmanship than her. And no, wanting to learn foreign swordsmanship from the traveler doesn't mean that the traveler is better than her, it's just that she want to learn other style to incorparate it into her own and the traveler is the only foreigner around that are half decent with a blade.

Really you are thinking too hard here, the traveler was able to beat Ei was cause of the amp and he got previous experience against her and training to specificly deal with her attack, if 1 vision was enough to make Kazuha jump to Ei level, 99 would be more than enough to far surpass her, no matter how skilled she's, being slower than someone by a tremendous degree wouldn't allow her to hit anything.

Also as for Ayaka, her japanese translation state that she's basically the grandmaster of her clan swordsmanship, having learn all that she can and master all of it, while Childe is merely a overall master of the weapons so Ayaka skill in a blade would be massively superior to that of Childe, so it stand to reason that the traveler is just worse at swordsmanship than her. And no, wanting to learn foreign swordsmanship from the traveler doesn't mean that the traveler is better than her, it's just that she want to learn other style to incorparate it into her own and the traveler is the only foreigner around that are half decent with a blade.
Kazuha only managed to fend off a single strike from Ei and while that is at least partly due to the short duration of time of the second Vision granting him additional power it's hardly the same as being on her level since Ei is capable of a lot more than just single strikes. In the Traveler's case he was enhanced by the ambitions from the confiscated Visions but didn't get any elemental powers from them and gained some other benefits which aren't associated with Visions, so while there are similarities with Kazuha's case the boost that the Traveler got is different. Even if they were the same a comparison would be difficult since it would be hard to quantify how much each ambition or Vision quantifies the power. If we assume linear increases or multipliers, then we are going to get ridiculous numbers and Kazuha's case aligned with the ambition of the previous owner of the second Vision, so that probably contributed to Kazuha's power boost. I also don't get the impression that the Traveler got into one-shot or blitz territory in comparison to Ei based on how the story or gameplay portrays it.

Well, Ayaka is indeed highly skilled with a sword as far as I'm aware, so I can imagine her being more skilled than Childe in that specific area of expertise though there is no direct canon comparison. In terms of skill Childe has a lot more than just swordsmanship but this isn't too relevant for this particular topic. Are you talking about Ayaka's Feelings About Ascension: Intro and Building Up? I didn't really have that on my mind, so could you explain why you even brought that up?

Last edited:
You know, there's only 2 people talking so far so no need to quote me.

Anyway, all that i'm saying is that the boost would've been far more powerful than Kazuha for obvious reason and that boost is the reason why Ei lost, you're arguing that the traveler suprass Ei in skill or reach her level which make no sense and it's better to simply contribute it to just stat boost and other stuff that the 99 vision give them.

It's relavent cause you're saying that the traveler reach Ei level of skill despite the fact that he hasn't even reach Ayaka level who learned and master something that was there for likely 2000 years and Ei would've far surpass that a long time ago. I got a point from bringing that voiceline but... I forgot what it was, so F for that.

Anyway like i said, i don't agree with their skill being anywhere near Ei or even the higher level swordsman like Ayaka, they would've improved yes but to what point is unknown.

It kind of became a habit to quote the people that I'm answering to since this generally makes things more clear but if you prefer me not quoting you, then that is fine for me.

That boost would be one of the reasons Ei lost and it is definitely more powerful than Kazuha's boost due to it being enough for a fight against Ei. Yae Miko certainly viewed a certain degree of skill as necessary if her letting the Traveler undergo training is any indication and Ei despite not making use of her Gnosis is one of the victors of the Archon War and she values martial prowess and its advancement, so her level of power would presumably be extremely hard to reach even for a divine being with a lot of preparation. I guess you could argue that the Traveler was boosted to a degree that allowed someone of their skill level to reasonably keep up with and defeat Ei and that this whole thing was a very exceptional situation involving 99 Visions but this interpretation still feels a little iffy to me.

There is no direct comparison between the Traveler and Ayaka, so nothing definitive can be said other than that the Traveler has a respectable amount of swordsmanship skills which hardly tells us anything about how they actually compare and this also still leaves the matter of overall combat prowess which can include maneuvers beyond pure swordsmanship. I don't think that this is particularly relevant because of this.

Last edited:
Okay, just feel pointless when it's only 2 person talking but you do you man.

It really isn't iffy at all. Kazuha with 1 vision boost was able to reach the blade despite it being really close to the traveler and block it then overpower Shogun, a Shogun that was aiming to kill the traveler. So it ain't far fetch to think that 99 vision just amp them to such a level that Ei skill superiority just doesn't matter at all. Also the anti-shogun training have us dodging her range attack not direct conbat, it also doesn't help that you don't need an insane level of skill to dodge those (and even less for breaking the jar thing), just enough speed which the 99 vision would give in spade. You put too much attending on how someone with lower level of skill can defeat someone with laughably higher level, Ei value martial arts doesn't really change the fact that there's a victor and a loser, she lost so she lost, it doesn't matter if the opponent is unskilled.

Yeahhhh, sure, i'll drop this.

Anyway, you can think what you want but i personally think that there's no need to scale the traveler to Ei level of skill when it's more likely that he win cause of stats.

The 99 Vision amp is definitely superior to Kazuha's case based on feats alone though if we try to use the number of Visions as justification for it being superior which would admittedly be an easy conclusion to make, then we run into the problems that I've already mentioned earlier which make clear how the two cases differ significantly.

• The Traveler was enhanced by the ambitions from the confiscated Visions but didn't get any elemental powers from them and gained some other benefits which aren't associated with Visions.
  • Even if the boosts were of the same nature a comparison would still be difficult since it would be hard to quantify how much each ambition or Vision quantifies the power. If we assume linear increases or multipliers, then we are going to get ridiculous numbers.
  • Kazuha's case aligned with the ambition of the previous owner of the second Vision, so that probably contributed to Kazuha's power boost.
The number for the Visions can be used as evidence for the Traveler's boost being superior but not for much more than that I guess. I doubt that the strike Kazuha blocked was outright the strongest one the Shogun is capable of since that would absolutely not be needed to kill the Traveler especially if you can consider what a strike from her was capable of doing to Yashiori Island which I doubt she would repeat in the capital. While the Anti-Raiden Shogun Training was indeed about dodging they are also a way of getting used to Ei's combat moves and Ei herself is a sentient being unlike the mechanism, so she certainly wouldn't be that easy or predictable from an in-universe perspective. It also would be completely unneccessary if Yae Miko knew for certain that the ambitions of 99 Visions would be enough to overpower and outspeed Ei to the point where she simply cannot keep up and I've also explained earlier that matching the power of a victor of the Archon War would be far from a simple matter even for a divine being though 99 Visions did help with that.

I've noticed that the Friendship level 7 Companion dialogue from Raiden Shogun is also about sparring, so there is that though I don't know how much that would be worth for this discussion.

Last edited:
The 99 vision and other mental problem is probably the reason why Ei lost, the shogun training is just for the traveler to feel more accustomed to the attack as you said, but it's only there to help the traveler to more familiarize with the non cqc moveset of Ei. I don't know why Miko think that training is necessary if the 99 vision is enough but i feel like it's more plot convenience then anything, fault of the story making the traveler straight up fight Ei despite lore and feat would make Ei paste the traveler the instant they clash.

Really now, i don't feel like continuing the argument now that i think that we are going circle, i still disagree with the skill part of the crt so if you still think the traveler scale then by all mean just put me under the disagree part for skill, i agree with the rest tho.

Yeah, I guess it does indeed not cover close combat. I think the point here is that the training and the 99 Visions were presumably needed and that there was still a certain difficulty for the Traveler after getting the boost. With the boost the Traveler is capable of matching Ei and presumably make use of the prior experiences from the first fight and the training though the exact details are hard to discern. I do feel though as if the Traveler is supposed to be quite capable even if they aren't necessarily the best.

Okay.

"High, normally. Combat Genius. The Traveler can keep up with Childe, who is implied to be the most skilled in battle among the Fatui Harbingers, and after being empowered by the ambitions of the 99 Visions confiscated during the Vision Hunt Decree with the help of Yae Miko they were able to defeat Ei, the unparalleled progenitor of all Inazuman martial arts revolving around the sword and spear, in their second fight against her with Ei stating that the Traveler can help her improve the Musou no Hitotachi which is considered as the pinnacle of her skill as a sparring partner. Is skilled at finding and opening treasure chests and is generally good at solving riddles and is a competent adventurer capable of handling all sorts of commissions from the Adventurer's Guild even when they do not involve combat. Has also been shown to make noteworthy deductions, such as ascertaining the true identity of Zhongli before it is ever revealed, in spite of Zhongli's efforts to conceal the truth. They've been praised as a highly capable cook and have been noted to be very capable at interior design and arranging various items and buildings within the space of the Serenitea Pot using blueprints and the options the Serenitea Pot offers for refashioning it as the owner pleases."

This is what I would change the Traveler's Intelligence description into. Does that look good or does anyone have suggestions for improvement?

Last edited:
"High, normally. Combat Genius. The Traveler can keep up with Childe, who is implied to be the most skilled in battle among the Fatui Harbingers, and after being empowered by the ambitions of the 99 Visions confiscated during the Vision Hunt Decree with the help of Yae Miko they were able to defeat Ei, the unparalleled progenitor of all Inazuman martial arts revolving around the sword and spear, in their second fight against her with Ei stating that the Traveler can help her improve the Musou no Hitotachi which is considered as the pinnacle of her skill as a sparring partner. Is skilled at finding and opening treasure chests and is generally good at solving riddles and is a competent adventurer capable of handling all sorts of commissions from the Adventurer's Guild even when they do not involve combat. Has also been shown to make noteworthy deductions, such as ascertaining the true identity of Zhongli before it is ever revealed, in spite of Zhongli's efforts to conceal the truth. They've been praised as a highly capable cook and have been noted to be very capable at interior design and arranging various items and buildings within the space of the Serenitea Pot using blueprints and the options the Serenitea Pot offers for refashioning it as the owner pleases."

This is what I would change the Traveler's Intelligence description into. Does that look good or does anyone have suggestions for improvement?
I thought we stopped using words like High for Intelligence Descriptions? We have all the different levels of Intelligence on the page, just something like above average or gifted or aomething for them out of combat.

I thought we stopped using words like High for Intelligence Descriptions? We have all the different levels of Intelligence on the page, just something like above average or gifted or aomething for them out of combat.
I just took what was in the Intelligence section and combined them with the additions while changing a few things. I'm aware that High isn't one of the ratings we currently use for Intelligence Descriptions but replacing it would require the suggestion of an alternate Intelligence rating which isn't part of this CRT and I wasn't comfortable with just spontaneously changing it.

That should be above average I think. Instead of high,
I'm not entirely sure here.

I've noticed that according to Shadows Amidst Snowstorms the Traveler is quite good at painting for someone who hasn't received any real education regarding something like this. They were also perceptive enough to notice the difference between Albedo and the imposter via the mark on the neck. They even wondered if the Fellflower and the other imposter were actually the same though they couldn't come to a definitive conclusion.

I agree with Above Average and Combat Genius.
Although I agree a little with Jack too it Sounds a little out of place considering they demonstrate mediocre skill in Cutscenes

I agree with Above Average and Combat Genius.
Although I agree a little with Jack too it Sounds a little out of place considering they demonstrate mediocre skill in Cutscenes
Are you referencing the scene with Childe or do you have something else in mind?

All his sword fight scenes
Do you mean that their attack animations with the sword look mediocre or are you thinking of feats?

is ayaka stronger then the traveller normally?
Well, the Traveler defeated Tartaglia who Ayaka is compared to on her profile and in the Inazuma chapter they were strong enough to defeat La Signora without much trouble, so I'd consider the Traveler to be stronger by comparison.

Do you mean that their attack animations with the sword look mediocre or are you thinking of feats?

Well, the Traveler defeated Tartaglia who Ayaka is compared to on her profile and in the Inazuma chapter they were strong enough to defeat La Signora without much trouble, so I'd consider the Traveler to be stronger by comparison.
So ayaka=childe?

Cutscene battles
Why the hell is Ayaka even comparable to Childe

Cutscene battles

Why the hell is Ayaka even comparable to Childe
So, you are thinking of certain feats or how should I understand that?

Apparently someone thought that pinnacle of proficiency means automatic scaling to Childe which I don't really agree with myself.

Apparently someone thought that pinnacle of proficiency means automatic scaling to Childe which I don't really agree with myself.
i kinda disagree as well. While ayaka is skilled, i mean grandmaster level likely, Childe is hyped up several times to be one of the stronger characters especially with the fowl legacy.

The Travelers sword skill in battle isn't really shown to be as impressive as the game types it out but oh well, this is all some glorified Chinese novel
I obviously disagree with it and most of the verses scaling currently on the profiles, The same person also thinks everyone is comparable to each other despite no cross scaling between almost anyone lel
The pages need a hot hard revamp

The Travelers sword skill in battle isn't really shown to be as impressive as the game types it out but oh well, this is all some glorified Chinese novel

I obviously disagree with it and most of the verses scaling currently on the profiles, The same person also thinks everyone is comparable to each other despite no cross scaling between almost anyone lel
The pages need a hot hard revamp
So, you mean the Traveler lacks feats of their own that are impressive without relying on scaling to other characters?

Yeah, that does need some work.

So, you mean the Traveler lacks feats of their own that are impressive without relying on scaling to other characters?
Kinda...? I don't remember the traveller doing anything impressive so far on their own. Albedo's story quest shows they are way below casual mountain level back then.

Kinda...? I don't remember the traveller doing anything impressive so far on their own. Albedo's story quest shows they are way below casual mountain level back then.
Well, they are below 7-A and this is about intelligence, skill and overall combat prowess, so I don't see how this is relevant for the topic.

Yes, it only makes it worse considering they're the MC
I guess that makes sense. Paimon does most of the speaking and the instances where we actually hear their voice are rare. We also know significantly less about their background or personal information than with the other characters, so I guess it's because the focus is more on the world and the characters around the main character?

I guess that makes sense. Paimon does most of the speaking and the instances where we actually hear their voice are rare. We also know significantly less about their background or personal information than with the other characters, so I guess it's because the focus is more on the world and the characters around the main character?
Man, he is an isekai mc and is not even op. Shame on the traveller. Isn't he an insert of the player tho?

Man, he is an isekai mc and is not even op. Shame on the traveller. Isn't he an insert of the player tho?
They do have some background details and their own motication. This is on top of whatever details we'll find out about the Traveler's sibling. I'd also say that they are most likely going to be very strong by the end of their journey if them being able fight against a god in the prologue and losing their powers is any indication. They are gradually gaining control over the different elements and are apparently regaining their former strength.

If we are talking about power, then i kinda doubt that we will get any good stuff out of BOS chars. If common energy currently doesn't apply (with maybe Lisa being the sole exception as she got statement backing her up) then aside from the god tier, most of the characters would just be wall level and building level at best.

Even Xiao doesn't have any feat that i remember that would put him near the higher tier since striking fear in gods is pretty vague considering a random big sea monster is apparently as powerful as one and Havria got killed by a human, so worst case Xiao would only vastly upsace from building level and the only that might scale to higher tier is his spear.

Atleast the god tier and those who scale to can sit comfortably up there for now but the non god tier kinda get shank pretty hard, but who know, maybe they might get large building.

Derail aside what's the current verdict here? I take it that everyone is okay with the puzzle, treasure hunt, cooking and designing?

Derail aside what's the current verdict here? I take it that everyone is okay with the puzzle, treasure hunt, cooking and designing?
These aspects of the Traveler's intelligence haven't really been discussed much but it seems like as if everyone here is fine with them. Which Intelligence rating would you personally suggest for the Traveler outside of combat?

There are also a few things that I've noticed regarding the Shadows Amidst Snowstorms event that hasn't really gotten any discussion.
I've noticed that according to Shadows Amidst Snowstorms the Traveler is quite good at painting for someone who hasn't received any real education regarding something like this. They were also perceptive enough to notice the difference between Albedo and the imposter via the mark on the neck. They even wondered if the Fellflower and the other imposter were actually the same though they couldn't come to a definitive conclusion.

Last edited:
Back