• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gender on Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarkGrath said:
Alright, that's enough. This is going in a far more aggressive direction then it needs to.

There is almost no chance that the person who made the Poison profile, or people who made other profiles for trans people for that matter, did so with ill intent. It it simply stating the actual, literal fact that they are trans. And trans people are often completely fine with referring to themselves as trans too. It's not degrading, it's not demeaning, it's not a sign of people being bigoted or just contributing to the problem. It's just stating a canonical, in-story fact on the profile.

If there's a problem with the gender on Poison's profile, make a CRT for it. If there's a problem with the gender on anyone else's profile, make a CRT for it. But as Matt put it, a river is being made out of a puddle here.
I would close this thread and any others like this personally. Pretty clear how this can spiral out of control.

Ame theres really nothing wrong with being trans. Its just a technical term and it doesn't invalidate our identities even if it can feel that way at times.

And as for some less than desirable depictions of our strugges existing in fiction, at the end of the day we can just ignore it. We can ridicule characters and stories for their poor and offensive writing all day, and we can feel good about it. I hate Goblin Slayer's depiction of rape, I hate James Bond in general, I hate many verses that are probably on this wiki for their abyssmal messages, but at the end of the day it's all fiction. It's not real. And alot of the writers who put this kind of crap out are dying out, and so it becomes less and less of an issue. Theres no need to focus on it.

I mean, if you're arguing based on that, why are age and classification listed? Even if it's not relevant for most debates, a large chunk of the info on any given page isn't exactly relevant. It's too much work to remove it, and I don't see the issue with simply listing information on a character.

"Again, why should gender or sex be listed on the profiles? Like, anything can be relevant, but not everything is on there."

This wiki is more than just strict battleboarding. It always has been. It's why we list the character's names, aliases / titles (if they have them), ages, classifications, and summaries detailing who they are / their backstories too.

Again, the only reason why people are hesitant to debate Ame is because the fandom staff heems entire wikis for this, and the fact they are just too nice. It's useless making a 300 post thread about this.

Someone being trans is a literal fact. It's not talking down their identity or anything like that. It's an actual, outright fact. There really isn't much to argue about here.

I agree with everyone else here, this just seems like unnecessary drama and starting an non-argument; as cliche as it sounds folks get into fiction as an escape for a reason you know.

As for those who came here to clown or laugh at the thread, if you have nothing meaningful to say i'd advise you all to stop talking. When it gets this bad we're supposed to defuse the situation not make it worse.

Am I saying anything wrong at all? This thread can just spiral out of control immediately, needs to be closed. Everyone knows why this is stupid/unreasonable.

>Sees thread that wants to remove information from profiles due to being offensive

I believe that's a pretty self destructive attitude for anyone to have.

That's not what i'm implying. At all.

Calling a woman a "transwoman" instead of just woman can be very offensive, yes, at least to some. Because it implies that you think that they're not real women. That's an actual thing. I think it's pretty disrespectful to laugh at this type of thing as well.

Ok, cool, I never saw that character before. Why is it on their profile? I mean, how is their gender identity related to fighting? I can guess this part is more of a hold over of a slower to adapt internet culture, but it's not like it's not innaccurate. There's also a few other solutions. Change it all to boy or girl or actual gender identities rather than having them be sex. Because even though some people use them interchangeable, others don't, and that doesn't make people not wrong for using it interchangeably.

If I didn't misread anything they are genuinely asking people to edit nearly 24k articles for something not offensive to 95% of people.

Uradelbauer said:
Am I saying anything wrong at all? This thread can just spiral out of control immediately, needs to be closed. Everyone knows why this is stupid/unreasonable.
By egging it on you're only making things worse Ura. If you have nothing meaningful to add, stop.

Alright, look. Nothing productive can come out of continuing this thread even further. I'm closing this. If you have a problem with my judgement, or you want me to reopen it for a good reason, contact me on my message wall. But this has gone far enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back