• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garou vs Alex Mercer

Half Monster Garou went from being burned by boiling water to tanking the heat of Rover Blasts and then resisting Orochi's fire beams that could melt rock, all of this in a very short amount of time.

As for Blast, with just a glance he copied his portal manipulation and escaped from his sealing and while he couldn't execute it he still managed to teach Saitama a technique to travel back in time.

I dunno for me without prior knowledge Garou gets stomped but with prior knowledge he stomps
Those are good points, but those adaptations are mainly either heat-based (him resisting their beam attacks or the boiling water) or energy-based (him resisting Esper powers, which are energy-based by origin via Psychic energy if I recall correctly) - we don’t know how he deals with diseases, contaminants, biological attacks and such since he didn’t have such adaptations feats from what I can recall.

As for Garou getting stomped without prior knowledge and stomping with Prior knowledge… This is why this is a terrible matchup in the first place, isn’t it?

Even the OP admitted that this matchup is probably a terrible idea, so there’s probably not much ways for how this matchup could’ve salvaged. ^^;

Yeah it's kinda wack

One thing though, would Alex even see Garou as a human? His appearance is humanoid yes but his body is covered by a galaxy texture and he talks a lot about being the ultimate monster/absolute evil/whatever

Yeah it's kinda wack

One thing though, would Alex even see Garou as a human? His appearance is humanoid yes but his body is covered by a galaxy texture and he talks a lot about being the ultimate monster/absolute evil/whatever
Yeah, this matchup can hardly be salvaged.

He probably doesn’t care, and he would have Infected Vision to find out that Garou isn’t infected, so he knows enough about Garou not being infected to try to get him infected with the gasses anyways - we know that even animals can be infected by the Redlight Virus and the Blacklight Virus from the first game and become feral infected creatures, so it’s not like Alex Mercer isn’t against having non-human creatures infected either if it benefits his goals. He focuses more on humans mainly because they’re the only sapient beings in his universe, but once Garou starts speaking, that would be enough for Prototype 2 Alex Mercer to know that Garou is sapient enough for Alex Mercer to become even more interested in infecting him (more than he would with infecting non-sapient animals anyways, and he’s probably not against infecting animals either - as he basically just infects everything if he’s in an urban environment or any environment that has civilisation in it, he probably doesn’t care that there can be animals such as cats and dogs getting affected by the vicinity of the gasses either).

Last edited:
Hello Ciruno Fortes, it’s been a long time since our last debate hasn’t it? ^_^

Also, no, Garou would not be getting any Blacklight Virus powers - Garou’s Power Mimicry has only ever been shown to copy martial arts and physical statistics, along with allowing him to understand and manipulate the flow of energy (in which Alex Mercer’s abilities doesn’t involve any type of energy at all); he has never been shown to copy supernatural abilities outside of martial arts such as Esper powers for example, and he especially hasn’t shown to copy physiology-based abilities from others either (we don’t see him generate electricity bodily via mimicking an electric eel’s physiology for example) and Alex Mercer’s entire skill sets is derived from the Blacklight Viruses comprising his body and him embodying those viruses (with those viruses being the sole reason he has superhuman powers and abilities in the first place) - so as long as Garou lacks feats of mimicking physiology-based abilities, he would be unable to mimic Alex Mercer’s abilities via lack of feats alone.

Plus, Garou’s one feat of adaptation with Reactive Evolution to gain resistance was against Gyoro Gyoro’s psychic abilities and… That’s about it. Aside from that one instance, just about all other instances of Garou’s Reactive Evolution was all about gaining greater physical parameters, getting better at using martial arts, and basically anything else that isn’t gaining resistance to abilities. After all, despite gaining the power boost from God, Garou hasn’t shown that he can adapt to Blast’s ability of Space-Time Manipulation for example.

Either way, Garou’s one feat of adapting to abilities was against Psychic Powers (which are inherently energy-based in origin), he doesn’t have enough feats of adapting resistances to suggest that he can deal with superhuman biological contaminants that can rewrite his entire molecules from what I can see (especially since there isn’t enough feats to showcase how Garou’s Reactive Evolution would fare against abilities of non-energy based origin in terms of developing resistances).

However, I do agree that Garou’s Prior knowledge makes this too unfair against Alex Mercer. While Alex Mercer may have been granted access to Force Multipliers in this matchup for some reason, allowing him to fly out of the way of some of the attacks, Garou can create portals to attempt to BFR Alex Mercer to great distances away… Especially with the prior knowledge granting Garou information about Alex Mercer being basically too dangerous to risk fighting at close-range and would have to resort to use portals to BFR him away.

So, as long Garou has prior knowledge, this would become a mismatch - I would’ve argued that Garou would’ve been too boastful to use his winning condition moves against Alex Mercer at the beginning if Garou has no prior knowledge for this matchup… But he does in this matchup, so there’s basically little to no room of this matchup becoming anything more than a stomp now that Garou doesn’t have ignorance holding him back and basically resorting to BFR straight away because of it.
Eyo glad to see you again too lol. How u doing? Doing well I hope? I usually stick to light debates nowadays so I'm more of a bystander here lol. I plan to make profiles for a bunch of things I like.

Bro let me dream about Garou in Prototype 2 with Blacklight powers ;; But yeah anyway fair points on all of those. I think Garou using TK would make sense but they never really focused on it. I have my own issues with how the manga proceeded but that's a different topic.

Also yeah it's why I kinda just watched this thinking "This is kinda unfair innit?". I think it might be more fun to see Prototype 1 Alex who doesn't ever lead with the gas, and use a weaker version of Garou.

Eyo glad to see you again too lol. How u doing? Doing well I hope? I usually stick to light debates nowadays so I'm more of a bystander here lol. I plan to make profiles for a bunch of things I like.

Bro let me dream about Garou in Prototype 2 with Blacklight powers ;; But yeah anyway fair points on all of those. I think Garou using TK would make sense but they never really focused on it. I have my own issues with how the manga proceeded but that's a different topic.

Also yeah it's why I kinda just watched this thinking "This is kinda unfair innit?". I think it might be more fun to see Prototype 1 Alex who doesn't ever lead with the gas, and use a weaker version of Garou.
Yeah, I'm doing well. I have just recently finished my University for the semester, so I have some free time to do some things now. I hope you are doing well as well? ^_^

Also, good luck on your plan on making more profiles. It's always great to have more character and verse profiles within this site, so that it can allow more people to know further about franchises that they might've never seen before. :)

Yeah, the manga just didn't focus on Garou using Esper powers or anything - they just made it where he "knows all forces and flow of energy in the universe", does some supernatural martial arts moves, pop out some cosmic attacks with his martial arts and that's about it; it would've been great to see Cosmic Fear Garou popping out Psychic powers as well, just to further emphasize how God-like he appears to the S-Class Heroes and others below him, as well as further imply how menacing and powerful this new threat that "God" is, but I guess it's decent enough with Garou popping out cosmic attacks with some interesting scientific basis behind them. XD

Indeed. Although it will be kind of funny, but Prototype 1 Alex Mercer would probably just lead with touch-based Absorption against Garou... And by then, Garou would be suspicious enough on a random person trying to touch him to retaliate, and there's probably not much fairness if we use Prototype 1 Alex Mercer either. ^^;

Gratz! That's great to hear! I'm doing swell as well, minus the part that I'm busy nowadays lol.

I'd say I'd have preferred no Cosmic Fear Garou- but yeah if they really went for that he could've been more telekinetic like you said lol. Trust me it's real martial arts

Wasn't the first time he tried to touch based absorb someone stronger than him he got countered by it? But yeah fair enough, in general it's hard to find em ways to match

Gratz! That's great to hear! I'm doing swell as well, minus the part that I'm busy nowadays lol.

I'd say I'd have preferred no Cosmic Fear Garou- but yeah if they really went for that he could've been more telekinetic like you said lol. Trust me it's real martial arts

Wasn't the first time he tried to touch based absorb someone stronger than him he got countered by it? But yeah fair enough, in general it's hard to find em ways to match
That's great to hear as well. XD

Indeed.

You mean Heller? I mean, Heller wasn't actually in any way stronger than Alex Mercer at the time (and it's arguable that Mercer was even actually using Absorption on Heller when Mercer attempted to kill him in that scene in Prototype 2), and Mercer's own touch-based Absorption isn't actually limited by the physical strength of the characters, but more on their Absorption resistances... I'll probably elaborate in the hax CRT I've planned for the [PROTOTYPE] characters later, which touches on this topic.

For now, just know that if the hax CRT I've planned goes through and gets accepted... A good portion of biological Absorption-based characters will be screwed against Alex Mercer if they have no other abilities to help counter him; Alex Mercer will become a possible King of biological (not matter-based at the atomic scale or beyond, or energy-based) Absorption-based street tiers characters of this site after this. :p

Last edited:
Can Alex Mercer's gas attacks be seen?
I'm not entirely sure if it's visible from an in-universe perspective, but it can be seen as red gasses from a gameplay perspective or the audience's perspective at least. I assume it can be seen as red-coloured gasses since characters watching a camera footage of Alex Mercer unleashing gasses has the gasses being visible as red-coloured gasses in the footage, possibly.

That doesn't matter much though, as Garou gets stomped without prior knowledge due to only seeing the gasses as smokescreens at best (has Garou ever dealt with gas attacks in the Manga? I don't recall he ever did, or does so in a way where he straight up just avoids/dodges the gasses) due to hardly seeing any reasons for how a bunch of gasses could be dangerous to a being of Garou's calibre (since he would at best sees them as being similar to smoke grenades or tear gasses) and boasting too much against someone that he deems to be far below his AP such as Alex Mercer about being the "ultimate evil"... Or Garou stomps with prior knowledge due to knowing how dangerous Mercer's virus from the gasses are (and Mercer's own Absorption) and avoids them via his portals, then either atomise Mercer either via the sheer heat of his Gamma Ray Bursts (assuming that his Gamma Ray Bursts are treated as the exact same as real life Gamma Ray Bursts, which can reach vastly greater temperatures compared to even the Sun's Core) at a great distance or temporarily incapacitate Mercer with it and then BFR Mercer's remains away at a great distance, or he BFRs Alex Mercer straight away at a distance via portals.

Either way, this matchup is going to be a stomp in the end, with little to no way to salvage it from what I can see.

Last edited:
I don't think Garou has ever dealt with gas attacks but for some reason he does clean up the mess he makes with nuclear fission fist by using Gravity knuckle's absorption almost every time. Not sure if he would use it vs some red mist that may or may not be seen. But yeah, it's a stomp either way.

Ok while i like mercer ain't no way he is wining this one, the power gap is too wide and garou can outright rip him apart on an atomic level this is a stomp

Garou controls his subatomic particles and makes them kungfu each virus particle individually.
But being serious now. Didn't Alex survive getting nuked? That might let him survive the passive radiation
He survived because he flew a sufficient distance from the epicenter and was in the cockpit of a helicopter. We saw that it caught fire, but I don't know how we got the information that it was reduced to ashes?

Moreover, I'm not even sure that he survived it.
A piece of biomass didn't even float in the ocean. He was on the pier, from where Mercer took off in a helicopter

Back