• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gaara vs Azir

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeeklyBattles

VS Battles
Retired
Gaara render by xuzumaki-d49bi94

You can make a rain of a thousand needles. I will make it rain blood.
Summary
Gaara is a shinobi of Sunagakure. Before he was born, Shukaku was sealed within him, resulting in his mother's death. Regarded as a monster by the village and with nobody to love him, Gaara came to despise the world and began relying only on his own strength, gaining the title Gaara of the Sand Waterfall. After his defeat by Naruto Uzumaki and his unwavering dedication to his friends, Gaara begins emulating Naruto's method and changes Suna's opinions of him. He eventually becomes the village's Fifth Kazekage, a position he maintains even after Shukaku is removed from his body by Akatsuki.

Powers and Stats
Tier: Possibly 7-B

Name:
Gaara

Origin: Naruto

Classification: Human, Kazekage, Jinchuuriki

Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Sand Manipulation, Wind Element Manipulation, Flight (Via sand manipulation), Can send particles to block movements, Sealing, Extrasensory Perception with Third Eye

Attack Potency: Possibly City level (Covered and saved the entire Sunagakure village from multiple meteors that were falling toward the village with his sand, and wasn't tired after that)

Speed: Massively Hypersonic via power-scaling from the other Kages

Lifting Strength: SuperHuman himself, Class G with the sand

Striking Strength: Class MJ himself, Class TJ with the sand (Able to hurt Sage Mode Madara)

Durability: Possibly City level with enough sand (His sand tanked multiple meteors)

Stamina: Extremely high, as he can fight for hours non-stop against high-level opponents without getting winded.

Range: Several kilometers

Standard Equipment: Sand Gourd

Intelligence: Fairly creative in the application of his sand powers; general knowledge of ninja techniques.

Weaknesses: His Jutsu can consume large amounts of chakra, and can only use the one-tail to its strongest when truly asleep. Oil also makes his sand extremely heavy and difficult to control.

Notable Attacks/Techniques:

• Armor of Sand: Gaara can cover himself in a compacted layer of sand, providing an additional defence should his Shield of Sand fail.
  • Desert Layered Imperial Funeral: Using a large quantity of sand, Gaara covers the enemy with several successive layers of the material, before compressing it into the form of a huge pyramid which acts to imprison the target upon its completion.
  • Prison Sand Burial: Gaara using his ability to manipulate sand, loosens the ground below his enemy and catches them in a maelstrom of sand. The swallowed enemy sinks up to two hundred metres underground, while completely unable to move a muscle.
  • Sand Clone: Gaara uses a clone of sand.
  • Sand Waterfall Funeral: After wrapping an opponent with sand with either Sand Binding Coffin or Sand Drizzle, Gaara will cause the sand to implode and crush whatever is within it.
  • Sand Waterfall Imperial Funeral: This technique is a specialty of Gaara, where he makes the land a stage for his representation.
  • Quicksand Waterfall Flow: This technique creates a massive amount of sand in the form of a wave, covering and "drowning" the opponent in an ocean of sand. From the sand Gaara carries in his gourd, he grinds the rocks and minerals from underground into a large sea of sand and manipulates it like a tsunami that engulfs absolutely all the things in his line of sight.
  • Shield of Sand: A technique that is unique to Gaara. Whenever Gaara is about to be harmed, a shield of sand will automatically surround and protect him. The sand will react regardless of Gaara's will, even protecting him from self-inflicted injuries.
  • Third Eye: Gaara can create an artificial eye made of sand or Gold Dust for extrasensory vision. He can control the size of the eye depending on its use. Its main purpose is spying, as it can form and disperse on any location in command. He can use it to see what's happening outside while surrounding himself in the Shield of Sand for protection during combat.
AzirSplashArt

Shurima was once the glory of Runeterra. I will make it so again.
Summary
Azir was a mortal emperor of Shurima in a far distant age, a proud man who stood at the cusp of immortality. His hubris saw him betrayed and murdered at the moment of his greatest triumph, but now, millennia later, he has been reborn as an Ascended being of immense power. With his buried city risen from the sand, Azir seeks to restore Shurima to its former glory.

Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 7-B

Name:
Azir, The Emperor of the Sands, Golden Sun, Beloved of Mother Desert, Hawk-Father

Origin: League of Legends

Classification: Ascendant (Hawk form, formerly human), Emperor of Shurima

Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Regenerationn (Mid-High), Immortality (Type 1), Sand Manipulation, Energy Projection, Summoning (Sand soldiers and turrets), Light-based Magic, Skilled diplomat and emperor, Forcefield generation

Attack Potency: At least City level (Casually raised the Shuriman capital city out of the desert while in a weakened state)

Speed: Hypersonic+ with Massively Hypersonic+ reactions and combat speed (Can keep up with champions like Kled and Gare, as well as close range lightning/light-based attacks)

Lifting Strength: At least Class 100 (Should be comparable to if not superior to Poppy), at least Class G with Sand Manipulation (Lifted the entire city of Shurima, including the massive Sun Disc at its heart, from under the desert)

Striking Strength: Class PJ (Emperor's Divide can move champions as large as Cho'Gath, Nautilus, and Malphite)

Durability: At least City level

Stamina:
Likely Limitless (Should be comparable to Nasus and Renekton)

Range: Several kilometers

Standard Equipment: Staff of Office

Intelligence: High (An effective ruler who raised his country into one of the greatest empires on Runeterra before its fall as a result of Xerath's betrayal. His combat style involves efficient command of his sand soldiers and can thus be considered an experienced and able frontline commander and tactician. Was taught ancient knowledge by Nasus and received combat training from Renekton)

Weaknesses: Can be overconfident and stubborn at times, Has a limited supply of mana with which to cast spells, his spells have cooldown periods, during which time they cannot be cast (Both are highly exaggerated in-game for gameplay balance purposes; for instance, Ekko is shown to be able to use his ultimate ability in rapid succession in his cinematic)

Notable Attacks/Techniques:

• Basic Attack: Azir blasts the opponent with a bolt of magic, dealing physical damage.
  • Shurima's Legacy: Azir places a marker above the ruins of all destroyed turrets outside of the enemy base. Azir raises the Sun Disc from the selected marked ruins, which functions like a standard turret but grants Azir any gold it earns. The Sun Disc loses health over 1 minute and loses its armor if Azir dies or moves too far away.
  • Conquering Sands: Azir orders all Sand Soldiers to dash toward the target location, dealing magic damage to all enemies they pass through and slowing them by 25% for 1 second. Enemies hit by multiple soldiers do not take additional damage, but are slowed by an additional 25% per soldier beyond the first. Conquering Sands resets Azir's autoattack timer.
  • Arise!: Azir summons an untargetable Sand Soldier at the target location for 9 seconds, expiring twice as fast while within range of an enemy turret, and expire instantly if Azir moves too far away. When Azir attacks an enemy in a soldier's range, the soldier attacks in his stead, dealing magic damage to all enemies in a line. Multiple soldiers can strike the same target, with each soldier beyond the first dealing 25% damage. Azir can only command soldiers when near them. Soldiers cannot attack enemy structures. Azir has a stock system for this ability; he stores a Sand Soldier periodically, up to a maximum of 2 stored at once. He also permanently has bonus attack speed.
  • Shifting Sands: Azir dashes to one of his Sand Soldiers, dealing magic damage to enemies he passes through. If Azir hits an enemy champion, he stops and gains a shield for 4 seconds.
  • Emperor's Divide: Azir calls forth a phalanx of soldiers from behind him, charging forward in the target direction. When the soldiers finish their charge, they stand as a wall for 3 seconds, blocking enemy champion movement and dashes. These soldiers are static. Enemies impacted by the charge are dealt magic damage and knocked back. Allies and Azir can pass through the wall.
Sand-manipulating leaders of desert nations. The Last Gaara, Azir is allowed to create turrets without fallen towers, speed equalized, in character, no prior knowledge or prep time. Who wins?

Gaara - 2

Azir - 7

Inconclusive - 0

I want to root for Azir due to army making and light magic, but Gaara's flight makes this a bitch to handle... There's also the issue of his incredibly fine control of sand and the more the battle lengthens the better it gets for Gaara...

Great match tho btw.Not sure who to vote for yet.

Edit - And how did you end the tabber ?

I mean...Azir has a few good ranged options...

You just have to put </tabber> at the end annd it closes it.

Oh? What does he have? Well the turrets would be useful but may not last long since their structural. They are something to consider though.

Gotcha, thanks!

Yeah the turrets, his own magic, and his own sand manipulation all give him a good amount of range on top of being able to create a massive army of sand soldiers instantly.

No prob

Hmm, honestly I think sand manipulation would be on Gaara's advantage. What defines his magic though? Army of sand soldiers would be useful but they're not that ranged imo, aren't they made of sand too? Turrets are definitely the best bet.

Does Azir know how to fly? Or use any magic that breaks through armor? Magic might be the best way to go thinking about it.

Eh maybe, i see it as Gaara having more precision whereas Azir has more raw power (Gaara's city-wide sand barrier feat was done at full power and he wasnt tired, Azir's Shurima unearthing feat was done casually while he was weakened and he wasnt tired).

Not sure what you mean by 'defines'...its a fraction of Celestial magic if that's what you mean.

True but they can still be launched via Conquering Sands and spread out over a huge area, and yes theyre made out of sand enhanced by Azir's magic.

Fly, no, the best he can probably do is either a reeeeeeally good jump or a Shifting Sands on an airborne sand soldier. And unless he has items he doesnt have any armor-breaking attacks.

Also I doubt Gaara could take control of Azir's sand soldiers, disintegerate them, etc, seeing as Azir has more power over them from Weekly's comment above

@Monarch No, none of Azir's attacks deal true damage, and without items he doesnt have any magic penetration either. Should i include them...?

Well its not like Gaara has magic resistance anyway, so Magic Pen wouldn't help. I don't know if there are any "default" items that give true damage, so I'll leave that to you

Do we have any idea of how long Azir's range is with his magic attacks? If he can't hit Gaara I'm inclined to say inconclusive, as Azir can use his own power to deflect any of Gaara's ranged attacks, while Gaara would be too high up to be hit

A few kilometers at least, he casually raised an entire city out from under the desert while in a weakened state and then recreated an entire army of sand soldiers with a wave of his hand.

Why can't Gaara take control of the sand soldiers? Is it because he's possibly City level while Azir is at least City level? Also, he would be able to disperse them with Wind Release. What does he use to deflect ranged attacks? If he deflects Gaara's sand, he can still manipulate it to continue attacking and he can also attack from underground.

Like WeeklyBattles said above. Gaara was in top form when he did his city level feat. Azir had only just come back to life and was weakened but still casually raised the entire city of Shurima and an army of sand soldiers with a gesture. While they are both still in the 7-B range, Azir can be almost certainly said to be in a higher level of it.

Okay, but he can crush them or disperse them so it's alright. How does Azir deflect ranged attacks like you said he would do to Gaara's?

Okay, but like I said Gaara can attack from underground. He could do that and insert sand particles to restrict his movements like he did with Madara and seal him. He could use Wind Release to continuously disperse Azir's sand based attacks. I don't know because I don't think he ever used it in canon, but he can apparently manipulate lightning too. They're in character, so I don't know if he would use it. But if he does, I think he can harden sand or something like that. And he also has stuff like Magnet Release, so he has other options.

Actually, do Azir's forcefields defend him from all angles? Like, are they passive like Gaara's defense?

Curses, how did I not think of this battle? :(

Gaara's range isn't a problem here. Azir has control over an entire army of soldiers and he created an entire city making his range at least several kilometers long. Also his feats with sand are far more impressive than anything Gaara has done, so he isn't getting control of Azir's sand anytime soon.

Azir also has very good mobility via dashing to his sand. He can also pull combo stuff like Shurima Shuffle in conjunction with his turrets.

And yes Azir's shields protect him from all angles, it's like a sphere around him.

Voting BirdMan.

Wasn't Gaara also weakened when he was controlling his sand in his fight with Deidara? Either way I'm liking Azir's chances now. I still doubt the entire sand army would last and I don't think Azir's shields automatically mean he's untouchable but his Turrets would be the key to winning if he can keep em up.

Yes, Gaara's range is not a problem but what can the soldiers do? If they don't have some kind of technique, they can't hit Gaara when he takes to the air. And they sound like fodder, he can easily disperse them or crush them whenever he wants.

I don't understand this mobility thing. Dashing to whose sand? Gaara's? Also, please explain Shurima Shuffle. I'm only seeing some legacy thing and it doesn't seem useful. If it's sand, Gaara can disperse it or manipulate it to at least veer away from him, if he can't manipulate it for attacking purposes. Also, Gaara can infuse Gold Dust into his sand to make it harder for him to control, like what happened to Shukaku. And Shukaku should actually be stronger than Rasa, but he got subdued everytime. Gaara has flight and he likes playing keep away, if he stays at a distance, it will be easier for him to intercept Azir's ranged attacks (I mean the non sand based attacks, because Gaara can disperse the sand based ones). And he also has a passive defense and an extra armor in case things get hairy. Plus stuff like Kawarimi and clones for decoys. As for the forcefield, I mean is it passive that it automatically defends him from attacks like Gaara's? If so, that will make things harder. But his profile says his spells have cooldown periods. If that makes him unable to use his abilities for a slight period of time, Gaara can take advantage of that and summon a massive wave of sand to crush him. But he has Mid-High Regenerationn (someone tell me if it's combat applicable), so that wouldn't be so useful. Though he can also use the slight window to infuse sand particles into him and seal him. And if he can't do that the first time, he can create his sand eye somewhere inconspicuous and monitor his weaknesses and style of fighting, and do the same when the opportunity arises.

I go for Gaara. Also, please someone confirm if his forcefield is passive. I already took that into consideration but I just want to know.

@Burning Yes they do, Conquering Sands can be used to send sand soldiers into the air. Sure he can destroy them but Azir can replace them whenever he wants, hell he casually made a whole army of them with a wave of his hand.

Azir can dash to sand soldiers he creates, not to Gaara's sand constructs. lol the Shuriman Shuffle refers to Azir summoning a Sand Soldier, dashing to it and using Conquering Sands simultaneously to get behind his opponent, and using Emperor's Divide to pin the opponent to a turret, something like this. And you say that like Azir doesnt have sand manipulation, let alone a much better casual feat of sand manipulation than this version of Gaara. Azir plays keep away too, thats why basically his entire skillset consists of summoning soldiers and turrets and using his sand manipulation to attack, and he has his forcefield (Which is passive) and phalanx soldiers for extra defense as well. Cooldown periods are gameplay mechanics, in-game he can only summon two to three soldiers at a time, in lore he can summon entire armies. Yes his regen is combat applicable.

Okay, but still Gaara also stopped several meteorites by raising his hand so they can go back and forth. Or he can just infuse sand particles into them to stop their movements or use Magnet Release for that.

I think someone should add it to his notable attacks section. But for the sand soldier, like I said Gaara could restrict their movements. And if Azir manages to get behind him, he also has a passive defense. But if he manages to pin him to a turret, he can still use Substitution jutsu. Wait, is it because Azir has a more casual feat that it's assumed he can control sand better? I just took everyone's word for it because I know nothing about him. Also, what do you mean by 'And you say that like Azir doesnt have sand manipulation, let alone a much better casual feat of sand manipulation than this version of Gaara'? Are you referring to what I said about the Gold Dust? I don't see what's wrong with it. Like I said, Shukaku should be much stronger than Rasa, and have better control over sand and more experience with manipulating it but he always got subdued by Rasa because it weighs his sand down heavily. It's an advantage for Gaara. And like I also said, Gaara can form his third eye somewhere inconspicuous and monitor Azir's fighting style. If it's summoning soldiers, he can restrict their movements, if turrets are like that thing that poor guy who was getting beaten up was tied to, he can escape with Substitution jutsu or crush it in a variety of ways if he doesn't get caught in them, and for sand he can weigh it down or disperse it if he needs a quick solution.

@Burning lol Shuriman Shuffle if a fan term, its not a canon name, its just the tactic used when you play Azir.

But for the sand soldier, like I said Gaara could restrict their movements.

What's stopping Azir from using his own sand manipulation to make them immune to or make them resist that?

Wait, is it because Azir has a more casual feat that it's assumed he can control sand better?

Yes, he performed a feat of sand manipulation comparable to if not superior to Gaara's casually while he was in a weakened state. Azir has more raw power with sand manipulation, but Gaara has more precision with it.

'And you say that like Azir doesnt have sand manipulation, let alone a much better casual feat of sand manipulation than this version of Gaara'? Are you referring to what I said about the Gold Dust?

No i was referring to the sand soldiers, you say Gaara can just crush/disperse/restrict them easily, but Azir has sand manipulation of his own that would make it so he wouldnt be able to, or at least would make it so they could somewhat resist Gaara's own sand manipulation.

And like I also said, Gaara can form his third eye somewhere inconspicuous and monitor Azir's fighting style.

His turrets would passively reveal something like that, which would make it an easy target for him or a few sand soldiers to destroy.

I don't know about that. How would he know of what Gaara did exactly if he doesn't explain it to him? Besides, he can still use Gold Dust to weigh them down since they're made of sand or Magnet Release.

Gaara used sand on a city wide scale when he covered Suna with that to protect it from Deidara's explosive clay in a short period of time. And that was at the beginning of Shippuden. If he could employ his sand on a city wide scale at the beginning of Part 2 after fighting against Deidara prior and not look like he had any problems, I don't believe that Azir's raw power is necessarily far superior to Gaara's, especially when beginning of Part 2 Gaara is so inferior to Adult Gaara that it's not funny.

How would they resist Sand Manipulation because Azir can control sand? And when I said disperse, I mean with wind and not sand. Also, like I've said, Gaara can weigh down his sand and his sand soldiers with Gold Dust and Magnet Release. And Gaara can create clones that can reform if they are dispersed. And since he can also control sand, he can make them resistant to Azir's sand like you said Azir could do. I don't know if he actually showed the ability to make his soldiers resistant to sand, but if he did Gaara has options to neutralize his sand manipulation. But if he didn't and it's an assumption he can do that because of his sand manipulation, I'll say Gaara can do that with his clones and make them resistant to Azir's sand on top of being able to neutralize it.

He can manifest it anywhere so he can do it far up in the air if that happens.

That doesn't even look like he's gesturing, that looks like he's pointing at it for Sivir to look.

On another note... sigh. It saddens me to think that all these awesome things are just backstory for the game. To know that Azir V Xerath, Tryn V Aatrox, Freljord V Frozen Watchers... will all never happen.

Agreed on both accounts. But hey at least lore is consistent now, mostly. Less like a megacrossover and more like a flowing story mostly. Well if you ignore the alternate skins which have their own badass stories

Okay, that looks really cool and super casual so I can agree that Azir could have more raw power than Gaara, but how does that take away from my point? Not to continue repeating myself, but Gaara deployed his sand on a city wide scale in a short period of time at the beginning of Shippuden after manipulating massive amounts of sand and fighting against Deidara and not look winded. Shukaku >>>>>>>> Beginning of Shippuden Gaara. He would be at least Mountain level scaling to the other tailed beasts and would be capable of casually deploying sand at least on a city wide scale but he still got continually subdued by Rasa and having his sand weighed down despite outclassing him in raw power and having prior knowledge of Gold Dust. The gap between Gaara and Azir is far lesser than the gap between Shukaku and Rasa, but he still got his rampages quelled everytime before getting sealed into Gaara. If Shukaku who is at that level could get his sand weighed down by someone weaker than him leaving him unable to control it, then Gaara can also do it. How would Gold Dust not do anything when it has showings of affecting and neutralizing the sand manipulation of someone who's above the user? Besides, that's not the only thing I said and have already said.

Also, sorry to continue asking questions but I don't know League of Legends so can someone confirm if it's a special ability of Azir's to make his soldiers resistant to sand manipulation?

Not that he can "make them resistant to sand manip" but more that his own control would overpower Gaara's control over them.

Can you link the scans where he uses gold dust to seal someone above him's sand manip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back