• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Forrest Gump Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackythejack

They/Them
I'm just going to go through a couple questions/concerns I have and will point something out.

Powers and Abilities: I don't recall Forrest ever showing knowledge of pressure points and there's no scam of it or a clip of him using pressure points and given his low intelligence, I don't think he could memorize the pressure points. Weapon mastery is a little over exaggerated. I don't think Forrest has ever showed skills with his rifle. Remember, he's not that smart, and around the time of Vietnam the U.S. military would use anyone they got. This is important because it just shows that Forrest doesn't really need to be good with a weapon to get his spot in the military and this is a little bit exaggerated.

AP: let me just paste it here and knock down a couple points.

Can knock someone down with a single punch, Broke metal leg braces simply by running when he was a child, Comparable to Lieutenant Dan who was strong enough to pull Forrest to the floor

Knocking someone down with a punch isn't even 9-B and it doesn't support any of his "feats". This is at most 10-A and maybe 9-C if you're pushing it. Next up, him breaking his metal leg braces. This isn't a feat of extreme strength, it's a feat of breaking not all that durable equipment. Forrest's leg braces aren't this durable, 9-B equipment. I believe at the time they were even said to be something new and fancy. They were experimental correctional technology. You can even see how awkwardly Forrest's runs in this so called feat. It was an action he wasn't supposed to do and because of that they broke. Like if you use anything past it's intended use it's gonna break.

Lieutenant Dan pulling him to the floor isn't an AP feat. It's a lifting strength feat. Gump weighs the same size as a normal human. Pulling a sleeping Gump when he's not paying attention, therefor catching him off guard, off a bed, doesn't really amount to much. I'd also argue it's circular scaling. Dan scales to Gump who scales to Dan who scales to...you get it.

Speed: speed is a little bit exaggerated. Outrunning bikes id give it to him, but the outrunning the car thing doesn't make sense really when you think about it. This implies the bullies were actually trying to run him over and kill him, which wouldn't really be something they'd do. There's also the fact that outrunning trained soldiers is a bit exaggerated as that could just be Peak Human. The running across the USA feat doesn't eeally have a reason to be superhuman. Don't know how many times he ran across the country but it can easily realistically be done at peak human speeds, and world ping-pong players aren't superhuman in speedboats I wouldn't think. It could possibly be good reaction speed feats though.

Lifting Strength: Eh, I just feel iffy about this. Those band people he knocked down, which was actually only three since I just watched that part while typing this, aren't exactly capable of stopping a speeding football player. Band people are stereotypically considered geeks anyways and not too physically strong. Not always the truth but Hollywood runs on stereotypes.

Durability: This is...really really iffy for me. The RPG shot thing is sort of something he's not overly close to and I'd consider it to be too far away from him to be considered 9-B, in my opinion. That being said he's also just in general been hurt by a bullet. He was injured by that bullet. It literally dropped him to his knees and he cries out in pain. This isn't an outlier, this is just a normal human being shot by a normal bullet. Forrest is never considered to be exceptionally peak human and his durability, I feel, isn't 9-B. He's far enough away from that explosion that it wouldn't get to that level, and regular humans can live through events such as these. Hell, some dude irl got shot with an anti tank rifle and survived. Outliers such as this exist in the real world, which the world of Forrest Gump copies.

It doesn't help when the person who made the profiles spoke of a calculation being evaluated but never showing where it was actually evaluated.

My general consensus of this is that Forrest Gump is a pretty standard 10-A, being an athletic soldier and football player in his old days, with some high reaction times and generally peak human speeds and LS. If you want to push it we could call him 9-C maybe.

I'd say he's a kinda high 10-A rather than an average 10-A, but it does make sense now that I finally know he has a profile.

Alright yeah not an average 10-A. He's pretty high into the tier. I can see a 9-C argument but there's no way in hell he's 9-B

Approving this with the caveat that Supernatural Luck is removed. I can't find any other words that it being incredibly stupid for being on the profile.

Forrest survived some crazy stuff, that doesn't make him a discount Nagito Komaeda. Like, winning the lottery would probably have more stacked odds, and you don't see me slapping "Supernatural Luck" on any given Lottery winner.

Honestly calling Forrest a "superhuman, super-speed, super-lucky" character is spitting in the face of the movie's attempts to be grounded in reality and tell a compelling historical fiction.

I agree with Dargoo and think that the first post makes sense.

Alright. If no one has problems with it, I'll be applying some of the changes.

Making Forrest be 10-A with at most Peak Human stays all around, it seems is the best bet here.

Okay. That seems fine. Tell me here when I should close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back