• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fixing Gloryhammer Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
Hello everyone.

I'm a big fan of the fantasy Power Metal band Gloryhammer, which currently has a presence in Vs Battles Wiki in the form of a few profiles for some of its characters. Only problem is, they're really bad in their current state.

Yesterday I revised and improved the Gloryhammer Verse Page proper. Now I wish to do the same to the existing character profiles.

Here are the main issues with the current profiles:

Everyone is Universe level

Currently, every single character in Gloryhammer is Universal via circular scaling from The Hootsman's Neutronic Transnova Bomb. Only problem is, I'm 100% confident this is wrong.

If you look at The Hootsman's profile, the current evidence for the detonation destroying the universe is two interview statements. The first statement is fairly straightforward:

Thomas Winkler said:
Yeah, the ending of the last album was like, the whole Universe was destroyed. So...only the evil sorcerer managed to disappear through a wormhole to another dimension and Angus McFife followed him. So that's where the third album starts.

However, in the second statement, Thomas Winkler expresses doubt over the idea that the whole universe was destroyed:

Thomas Winkler said:
For the next album we might go to another dimension, because the universe or at least the world is destroyed. There’s a hole in the sphere, and Zargothrax flees through this hole, and after we follow.

"The universe or at least the world is destroyed".

Secondly, Thomas Winkler does not write the lore of Gloryhammer. The band is the creation of Christopher Bowes, and all the song lyrics and album storylines are conceived by him, and the idea that the Neutronic Transnova Bomb destroyed the whole universe is not reflected in the song proper. Only the Earth:

Apocalypse 1992 said:
The only way to save the galaxy
Is to destroy planet Earth and all Dundee
(...)
With a thunderous implosion the Earth was vaporized, tearing a dimensional rift in the heavens! Using his last shards of power, Zargothrax plunged through the space portal, vanishing into another reality! And so Angus McFife XIII followed him into the wormhole, for the eternal glory of Dundee!

Note that they mention destroying the Earth is the only way to save the galaxy, which would not make sense if the detonation destroyed the whole universe (and the galaxy with it). The album booklets all reflect this:

Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards said:
Angus McFife XIII, Crown Prince of Fife:
"By all the gods of Dundee! Such a powerful explosion would have dread consequences... the planet will be destroyed, and the fabric of space-time may even collapse!"
(...)
Topazulon McGonagall VII, Herald of Dundee:
"With a thunderous explosion of ultragravitational terrorflux, The Barbarian warrior of Unst vaporised Earth with the Neutronic Transnova Bomb detonation of his robotic powersouce

Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex said:
And lo, Planet Earth had been destroyed by the Hootsman, with an explosion so powerful it ripped a hole in the very faric of spacetime.

"The armies of justice in Dunkeld, and now this messenger... all worshipping the Hootsman as a God. But that can't be... he died in the Neutronic Transnova detonation of Earth, surely?"

As Angus flew across the Highlands, towards his final destiny on the battlefields of Cowdenbeath, he thought back on the many battles he had seen in his life. Fighting goblins on the moon...destroying the Earth to save the galaxy

The final nail in the coffin is that the galaxy and outer space still exist as of 1993, per the song Fly Away:

Fly Away said:
On a quest that is calling me
To the other side of the galaxy
I know I'll find my destiny
In outer space in 1993

With the 3-A ratings being gone, the characters will have to be rescaled accordingly to the destruction of Earth alone. So a big downgrade.

Last edited:
Like this isn't a big thing. This is an obscure verse with one sorta active supporter. I just want some form of approval to be able to alter the profiles.

Kor-Viliath's profile should also be deleted since he's not really a character, he's just something Zargothrax tries to summon and which is only mentioned in one song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back