• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fire Emblem: Ares intercepts lightning

Hey everyone, I'm back with more FE4 manga calcs! This time, it's a speed calc, and I'll be using a few of the calculations I did in my previous thread, so go there if you want to read how I got some of these numbers.
Anyway, this takes place during the same Seliph and Ares vs Ishtar fight. After realizing that her thunder magic doesn't have much affect on Ares, Ishtar attempts to find out the secret behind his resistance by targeting Seliph instead. In order to save his comrade, Ares rushes in and blocks the bolt before it can hit Seliph.
xIE8lXh.png
XxtaBAV.png
0PRAAvj.png

We'll start by determining the distance that Ares would have traveled to intercept Ishtar's attack. Thanks to knowing Ares' height (again, see my previous thread), we can find the heights of both Seliph and Ishtar.
TuyLWgJ.png
kAtTySM.png

200.3/497=0.4, 0.4*410=165.2, and 200.3/353=0.57, 0.57*329=186.7. Thus, we know that Ishtar stands at 186.7 cm, while Seliph is around 165.2 cm. Using these, we can find the distance between Ares and Seliph when Ishtar launched her blast.
kmr8Q2C.png

Using the previous image of Ares and Ishtar, it's pretty easy to find the distance between them. 0.57*394=223.6, so the distance between them is 223.6 cm.
Finding the distance between Ishtar and Seliph is a bit trickier, however. This panel show them both pretty clearly, but from an awkward angle, so we'll need to use some trigonometry here. Specifically, I used the formulas and calculators provided here.
cuUtwsX.png

I'm not even gonna try writing anything fancy here, so here's the raw calculations I did.
2 × arctan(tan(35) × (932 ÷ 973)) =
Distance to Ishtar = 139.18 cm

2 × arctan(tan(35) × (243 ÷ 973)) =
Distance to Seliph = 472.35 cm

472.35 - 139.18 = 333.17 cm

From what I got, the distance between them, and thus the distance that Ishtar's attack had to travel is 333.17 cm. My trig is a bit rusty, so if someone wants to double check my work, feel free. However, we'll be going with this number for the rest of the calc.

For the following calcs, we'll be assuming that Ishtar's Thunder spell travels at the speed of natural lightning. I know there's some debate in the community over how fast lightning based spells like this actually are, but given that this is a manga that lacks any form of animation, natural lightning is the best marker I have to go off of. The only statement regarding the speed of magic lightning that the manga gives is this one that Ares makes regarding Ishtar's strongest spell, Mjolnir.
DxxYArD.png
qbS3vMo.png

Based on this, we know that Mjolnir is much faster than standard Thunder magic, possibly even Relativistic based on how Ares describes it. Unfortunately, that doesn't tell us anything about the attack Ishtar was using on Seliph, so we'll be using the speed of lightning as provided here, which is 4.4e5 m/s.
3.3317/4.4e5=7.57205e-6
, 0.0076 milliseconds or 7.57205e-6 seconds.
To determine the distance Ares travelled, I added the distance between him and Ishtar to the distance between Ishtar and Seliph, assuming that Ares and Seliph were standing on opposite sides of Ishtar. (223.6+333.17=556.77 cm, or 5.5677 m) Solving for speed using that, assuming Ares began moving as soon as Ishtar fired her spell gives us 5.5677/7.57205e-6=735296, meaning that Ares was moving at 735296 m/s, putting his speed at Massively Hypersonic+.

Back