• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

FC/OC Rule Revisions

Promestein

Resurrection Lily
She/Her
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
I just went and updated the rules and regulations listed on the wiki's main page.

These changes bring with them a number of guidelines and rules that are relevant to the main userbase. Give them a read.

These rules are a bit odd, but mostly fine (there's a lot but who cares any new user can deal with them as they go, live and learn). But one question about it is "promotion of illegal activity". I really, really try to not break this rule, because my game is meant for a younger audience- but combat in general might as well be illegal when there are guns and swords in the mix, how do I avoid this? Same thing for stealth/stealing to promote trespassing, etc.

You're being paranoid Magno.

These rules are a bit odd, but mostly fine (there's a lot but who cares any new user can deal with them as they go, live and learn). But one question about it is "promotion of illegal activity". I really, really try to not break this rule, because my game is meant for a younger audience- but combat in general might as well be illegal when there are guns and swords in the mix, how do I avoid this? Same thing for stealth/stealing to promote trespassing, etc.
Just curious to see the answer to this question. Once I start to actually write some of the concepts I have, there will be some characters that are nihilistic, do evil things with no remorse, show the dark side of humanity outright or in a nuanced way, etc. Some of that stuff would incorporate things that I would never condone or support irl.

Portraying something is not promoting it, don't be silly

Portraying something is not promoting it, don't be silly
Maybe that should be noted in the rules so no one feels dissuaded from pursuing any themes or topics? Or to go through the unnecessary trouble of "washing" there story of such themes to bring it to the wiki?

I guess I can revise that sooner rather than later.

I'm actually more curious about what was actually changed in the rules other than general rewording.

Skimming through everything right now regardless.

Just curious to see the answer to this question. Once I start to actually write some of the concepts I have, there will be some characters that are nihilistic, do evil things with no remorse, show the dark side of humanity outright or in a nuanced way, etc. Some of that stuff would incorporate things that I would never condone or support irl.
Featuring something does not mean supporting and advocating for it. Including the mass murder of innocents in your writing is one thing, adding "It actually had a lot of positive effects and, really, wasn't that bad!" as subtext is a completely different thing.

Just be reasonable.

Its not about how the characters themselves act persay I believe but more how the writers themselves chooses to portray or frame those situations in both a fictional and realistic sense. I actually feel theres a lot of ways this rule can be interpreted tbh.

So basically, if a villain goes "imposing your will on other people isn't bad, it keeps people from breaking the law and doing horrible things", but that's painted in a negative light or the protagonist goes "the freedom to choose right or wrong is what makes us human", that'd be OK, I assume? Whereas if I just leave it as "imposing your will is cool", that'd be a no-go?

The issue is promoting illegal activity outside of your stories.

Or if your stories are incredibly aggressive about something ****** up.

All your examples are fine.

The issue is promoting illegal activity outside of your stories.

Or if your stories are incredibly aggressive about something ****** up.

All your examples are fine.
So it wouldn't matter in the story as long as I'm not condoning and/or encouraging imposing your will on other people IRL? Just trying to make sure I completely understand.

Yes, for the most part.

Yes, for the most part.
Just, to get this out of the way now for future reference I guess, you mean more like, pushing overly edgely/obvert messaging in a story for something like shock value, and not something like showing both sides to a complex issue or allowing the audience to reach their own conclusions on a subject rather then constantly telling them clearly bad things are bad. (For example a villain with the mind control
ability dosen't need a complying passage explaining that forced mind control is bad to be allowed)

None of you are at all even in the same book of what the rule is about. The rule is not about what you write, it's about what you say outside of your writing.

Back