• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fallen London Discussion Thread

EliminatorVenom

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Welcome to Fallen London's Discussion Thread, friend!

Here, in a candlelit room with ample space, caddies of dried tea and the glow of false-stars against the everdark horizon, we shall discuss about all sorts of Neathy affairs. London is a city of secrets, after all, and many are the stories to uncover there. Whether those are some scandalous snippets from the Shuttered Palace, tales of terror from the peliginous unterzee or searing enigmas from the High Wilderness, all has a place to be debated here, amongst reputable gentlemen, elegant madams, strange rubbery men and villains of utmost ruthlessness! Leave any disputes outside, please; If shouting must come to steel and gunpowder, do not make a mess inside. Besides, it is always a show to watch a good match of Knife-and-Candle! I hope everyone has a good time around here, as much is possible in this fallen city of ours, Our Enduring Majesty willing.

(...)

I hope there are some people interested in this marvelous universe of Fallen London. While, as per the nature of VSBW, we are way more open with spoilers of franchises, I request that, whenever possible with any extraordinary implications about the universe, of great stories that are very spoilerific as with the more specific details about lore of things like Judgements, you put a spoiler tag. While it should be fine to say the basic stuff or the barebones stuff of feats, any scans and more specific details should be spoiler-tagged. (SMEN, Carnelian Exile's storyline and The Truth ambition in particular should be avoided)

Nonetheless, even with that, this with be a very SPOILER-filled affair, and this thread should be read at the reader's own discretion.

Primarily, I must say that I've been mostly playing Sunless Skies, and progressing fairly well into it. I've been playing plenty of Fallen London as well, and studying a lot of lore, and collecting feats and stuff from relevant videos.

Those are great games, Sunless Skies in particular, and have some of the most robust storytelling I've ever seen. I hope I can update the existing profiles and make many more for the future!

I don't know if the Neath physically affects how much humans can develop in physique, but Fallen London/Sunless Sea-era humans are very strong. Even very BoG protagonists and rather weak personas have solidly Street level AP, and at the 80s of attributes, which isn't even Person of Some Importance level, Wall level is abound, with Class 1 feats being very remarkable. Speed seems Superhuman to Subsonic-ish on the 80s of attributes.

I should be uploading scans soon enough and starting a personal respect thread, but most people also get a certain degree of immortality, regeneration and longevity, and many get resistance to pain, mind and soul manipulation.

I've started to upload feats! They'll suffer constant updates and I'll keep adding stuff, but hey, it's there!

Bumpity bump.

The protagonist's profile will be a doozy to make. Even naming him will be hard (Londoner? Fallen Londoner? Protagonist? Delicious Friend?), but the powers... Oh man, the explanation for each power will be almost impossible.

I mean, if I say they have Fire Manipulation, I can comment from the top of my head four or five sources for that Fire Manipulation, each with specific circumstances, usages and ways to manifest, with varying applicability in combat.

Maybe you can list that on the notable attack and ability section for the specific while just say "can create and manipulate fire" in the power and abilities section, but since i haven't make any profile (and doesn't plan on ever create one) i don't know whether that would be okay, might need to ask other if you can do that.

It'd shortly get very convoluted, because almost all of the main character's powers are like that, and citing each section would get very tiresome. I may need to do some blog posts to keep track of things, while also detailing a lot the Feats section, just like how I do with other profiles.

But I'll keep your example in mind, I think I can note at least the most notable applications of their powers.

I have a feeling that creating a blog for main characters power would be better in that case if you don't want to clog the page, but indexing the more notable application on the page would be good for someone who don't want to slog through an entire blog.

I have a feeling that creating a blog for main characters power would be better in that case if you don't want to clog the page, but indexing the more notable application on the page would be good for someone who don't want to slog through an entire blog.
Yep, that's what I'll probably end up doing.

I'm quite anxious to get to work, tbh-

I've been playing Fallen London to collect the scans, as I wanted to enjoy the story too and other methods are unreliable at best, and for Sunless Sea/Skies, I've been both playing the games and watching playthroughs, as they are much easier to find decent gameplays of.

I reckon I'll need to make a signifcant CRT someday. The profiles, as they are on the wiki, are a bit debatable on the best ones (Salt, Dawn Machine, Judgements), lacking in information (Stone and British Empire) if not outright wrong. (Lady Black and the Quiet Deviless, at least as far as I've seen) But oh well, it'll come in time!

I really wanna to make profiles for some of the most notable figures. Feducci, MR. EATEN and the Flukes in particular will be very fun to make, the protagonist aside.

One thing I really want to do as soon as possible though is to change Salt's profile picture, as that isn't Salt, it is a portal to the House of Rods and Chains, rewrite the Quiet Deviless page summary, as it is unecessarily spoilerish and tells little of the character itself, and remake the Lady Black page, as there is nothing that I've seen that suggests it is the most powerful being in Fallen London, or that it is the incarnation of death itself, even.

Talking about CRT, are there any outdated profiles aside from one that are just bad, like new infos render the stats outdated or give them new abilities.

Talking about CRT, are there any outdated profiles aside from one that are just bad, like new infos render the stats outdated or give them new abilities.
It's a bit too soon to tell, as there is a lot of information to uncover, and I hesitate to say much without having solid scans in order. However, I can already say that all pages are somewhat outdated, to greater or lesser degrees. Some are just lacking in context, like Stone, whose profile isn't exactly wrong but could be waaay more explained. The British Empire lacks any explanation whatsoever, which is a shame.

In lacking powers, they all do. Stone, Salt, The Judgements and the Dawn Machine all have a few more powers, although they are mostly covered. The real problem is that they are lacking many of the resistances that they should have, scans (which is essential) and explanations.

The British Empire is lacking a lot of powers, explanations, context, scans, and everything else, really.

I don't even know what to do with the Lady Black profile, it is by far the wrongest one, unless I discover some material that I had no knowledge of.

About the renders, they are mostly fine. The Dawn Machine needs a render of, well, the Dawn Machine itself (The current render is of the Clockwork Sun, who might not even be the Dawn Machine itself) and Salt's image is flat out wrong. To be fair, Salt ties with Mr. Eaten as the being with the fewest images to convey what it is, but there's a very good one who's associated with him. The British Empire one could be better, too.

As for stats, I'm honestly not too keen on the 2-C rating of many characters. I don't exactly doubt it, as there are plenty of scans that do indicate a form of power in that regard... But they are often ambiguous or have other factors to consider. I'll need to read more lore about the Judgements before making any, well, judgements (lol) about it, but I'd rather make them "At least Star Level". I'm also confused by scaling the Quiet Deviless and Lady Black as above Judgements, nothing I've ever seen hinted at that.

I need to check if Spacemarine9's posts in his Fallen London tumblr are actually official statements of the game, or if it is just a load of collated lore research.

If it is official, the quantity of feats just quintupled. If not, it is still a very nice collection of thoughts that, at worst, have no scans but have solid insight, and at best, have entire theories , cautiously written and considered.

Oof, now I noticed that the forum doesn't accept direct links to images on the FANDOM image system. Weird.

In any case, bumping.

Oh man, I wanted to start a small CRT for Fallen London, and to that, revise the P&A of the Judgements above everything, but there's so much to do that I really don't know where to even start...

I guess it'll take awhile until I'm ready.

Unrelated note, does all of the previous thing you could do in the early game remain there permantly or does it vanish after a certain point?

Unrelated note, does all of the previous thing you could do in the early game remain there permantly or does it vanish after a certain point?
Not all, but many of them do.

Some because you exceed the requirements that allow you to do certain actions (such as exceeding stat caps or progressing after a point of the story), but most because you can't go back from story decisions except in some very specific cases. If you chose something in your character's story, you can't go back and see how the plot would progress if you chose another option.

Usually you can still do most things as you could on the early game, such as grinds, but storylines are an exception. It is one of the reasons why it is so hard to get all the necessary scans for the game.

Another big reason is that spoilers are frowned upon in the community, as it is a text-based adventure game and, well, the content is the story you can read. People usually only give excerpts in wikis, for example, as to not spoil the entire text.

Hey guys, check how the draft of the Londoner's profile is going!

I just need to upload a few more scans and clean up the profile a bit, and also put the references correctly, and I think the profile'll be good to go!

Problem is, it'll need to receive semi-constant updates, as it'll take a loooong while until I manage to get the midgame stuff done, even less so the endgame stats. I dislike doing that, but eh, that's how it is.

A fun thing to keep in mind is that I'll try to get more feats relevant to the early game in the next few days, and I have some hope for them! As a fun fact, the kind of feats the Londoner achieves by midgame and particularly endgame are very insane. For midgame, there's the fact that, with Shapeling Arts, they can move their organs out of the way out of a lethal stabbing atempt and, with Kataleptic Toxicology, they can metabolize any poison on their bodies, and Artisan of the Red Science allows them to warp reality and space, although not combat-applicable.

By endgame they get some frankly insane stuff, such as the Hurlers storyline having this one bit that I know of that the Londoner fights a Correspondence-filled, living furnace. They can not only dent the reinforced steel of the furnace with their bare fists, but only get second-degree burns from stuffing their hands into coals as hot as sunspots, which is on the thousands of degrees celsius!

I also know for a fact that they are very likely at least Supersonic by endgame, even if only in combat and reactions, by scaling them to the likes of the Masters~

Before putting the Londoner's profile to the wiki, however, I intend to make a page for the Correspondence as a verse-specific power, not unlike how JoJo has Stand User, for example.

My top priorities are finishing up the Londoner's profile, making the Correspondence and remaking the Judgements' page.

Aside from the optional equipment and preparation being empty, the rest look pretty good especially since you aren't yet finished with early game stuff. I would like to say that if you decide to keep the optional and preparation, you should put the thing that wouldn't fall under power over in the normal section, while putting the thing he can create or get that fall under some power on the other prepartion tab, on the preparation part of the main tab you could put something like "can create or gain extra help in combat (assuming he can summon) with sufficent preparation time" then just link over to the tab preparation tab or just leave it as it cause there's literally a preparation tab and just put a note at the end "Note: for thing that the Londoner can achieve with sufficent prepartion, check the preparation tab".

Also you don't need to just rush over thing, if you can't do it in time of finishing the Londoner and the Correspondence then you should just document it in Word or something then paste it in later for CRT of mid and lategame.

No worries, I won't rush it! It's just a side project that I've been excited for since a long time ago. I've updated it a bit, there was supposed to have and equipment section on the tab but there was a minor code oversight.

In any case, I should start working on the Correspondence soon!

As soon as I get the references in order I shall post the profiles, bu lo and behold, I have some very nearly done drafts for:
I really wanted to make drafts for Devils, Curators and Feducci as well, but since the scaling for them would need some very endgame stuff of Fallen London, it'll take a LOOOONG while until then.

But no matter! As soon as I get these three in order, I think the revision for FL will be mostly done, with the deletion of the previous pages and all that!

We don't treat pain tolerance as an actual resistance to pain manipulation, it's just a stamina feat, so that should be changed on the Londoner's profile. That's all the input I could give for now as I don't really know anything about the verse.

Oh, thanks for the input! I thought it counted-

Coulda swear having seen that around here. But it makes sense, feeling pain but going through with it is different from not feeling it.

So, the Repentant Devil has this feat, a description of him when talking to him in-game.

After this lustration, he too uncoils. Winged, burning, elliptical. This being could throttle a volcano, could summon back a comet from aphelion. - A private rendez-vour, Repentant Devil.

Would this qualify for 7-C, even if just possibly? It is made pretty clear that such power level can be done in an instant.

So, the Repentant Devil has this feat, a description of him when talking to him in-game.

After this lustration, he too uncoils. Winged, burning, elliptical. This being could throttle a volcano, could summon back a comet from aphelion. - A private rendez-vour, Repentant Devil.

Would this qualify for 7-C, even if just possibly? It is made pretty clear that such power level can be done in an instant.
Comet one could result in some pretty good tier depend on how it's perfomed, from the meaning of throttle, it either mean he's forcefully start the volcano or choke it out not allowing the volcano to fire, both of which is likely 7B.

Edit: I can already tell that the Londoner have some pretty crazy shit with prep.

The Boatman tolls his bell! Your Wounds have been restored. Your Nightmares have been restored. Your Scandal has been restored. Your Suspicion has been restored.

Re-opening the discussion. Aside from two or three periods of hiatus, I'ved been playing FL and I am on the late midgame, if not early endgame of FL, and hooo boy, the Londoner does have some incredibly crazy prep time, and the feats just keep coming.

I really wish I could put them in fights already, particularly against really haxxed, powerful characters, but giving them prep.

I updated the Londoner's capability thread for my latest update on my Fallen London respect thread. Sadly, it'll still be a long while until I post the profile - I finally reached endgame content, and I think it will be better to post the profile once I have everything in a neat bundle.

Even after reaching said endgame content, though, there is a mountain of Exceptional Stories to go through. But one thing at a time, particularly as EStories cost money.

I've started my work on a blog for FL's most prevalent and general abilities. It'll take a LONG while until I finish, but I think that, as an explanation blog, it's alright to leave it to be completed as I add on more and more feats. For now, the only feats added are the ones addressed by the Opportunity Cards I've seen so far and the Site Sidebar. I actually expected a lot more work, but that's still, like, 5% of all feats I have in the verse.

I really need to update the Londoner's profile, but I think that may only happen maybe in December.

I concluded the Correspondence feats I have for now!

The other Advanced Skills will be much, much quicker to add, as the Correspondence is by far what has the most content. It is wild to imagine I have uploaded, like, less than 40% of the existing Correspondence feats out there, but welp, the grind never stops!

Playing the game, late POSI Londoner becomes outright scary with how many powers they have. In the early game/As POLC, their capabilities are mostly similar to a generic Street - Wall level character, with a few outliers, particularly intellect. POSI changes this dramatically. I expected that most of the powers would only be applicable in Preparation, but no! There is a lot they can do with minimal to no preparation at all - and by minimal, I do mean mid-battle.

Back