• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Resistance Questions

Maverick_Zero_X

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
  1. Could (Pre-Super) Dragon Ball characters survive a nuclear explosion? Obviously the explosive energy released by a nuclear explosion wouldn’t harm them, but could they survive the heat and radiation?
  2. Would Goku surviving in close proximity to a star warrant higher resistance than where his profile suggests (248°F)?

Last edited:
TIL we can kill Goku with nukes and its radiation.

Humanity: 1
Saiyans: 0

Last edited:
Beerus created a supernova capable of burning anything and reached the Kaioshins' kingdom, I believe they can at least resist the heat, but radiation only Moro and characters as Majin Buu

Anyone who can withstand extreme force should be able to withstand equal to or greater amounts of thermal energy (Though the thermal energy being due to extreme density, specific heat capacity, or specifically high temperature is the part that's hard to determine without getting into calc stacking territory). Though writing doesn't always know that. Though only things that realistically could be fatal to the cast would be the toxic radiation causing various illnesses such as cancer thus negating durability.

Considering ki itself has been known to vaporize items and these people withstand planet+ AP blasts, I don't think nuke level heat is a problem imho

As for radiation, assuming they have their guard up, would the particles pierce their ki auras?

Anyone who can withstand extreme force should be able to withstand equal to or greater amounts of thermal energy (Though the thermal energy being due to extreme density, specific heat capacity, or specifically high temperature is the part that's hard to determine without getting into calc stacking territory). Though writing doesn't always know that. Though only things that realistically could be fatal to the cast would be the toxic radiation causing various illnesses such as cancer thus negating durability.
I beg to differ
The interplay between force and thermal energy is intricate. Force pertains to the motion and interaction of macroscopic entities, whereas thermal energy is associated with the kinetic energy of individual particles within a system. These two concepts are not directly analogous as they delineate distinct physical phenomena. The capacity to endure force, such as pressure or impact, does not unequivocally imply the ability to withstand substantial amounts of thermal energy. Various materials and organisms exhibit divergent tolerances to different types of stress. For instance, a diamond, while able to endure significant pressure, can combust and transmute into carbon dioxide in the presence of heat and oxygen. While I agree with the radiation statement, it is not the only realistic threat inflicting harm upon them.

Considering ki itself has been known to vaporize items and these people withstand planet+ AP blasts, I don't think nuke level heat is a problem imho

As for radiation, assuming they have their guard up, would the particles pierce their ki auras?
I'm not sure if they can survive Nuke level heat and I wouldn't be surprised if they could. But all I'm going to say is don't scale Heat resistance to AP.

Yeah, a Megaton punch would always generate at least as many megatons of thermal energy. It's not quite the same the opposite because dumping a bucket of warm water could technically be described as 9-B or even 9-A for really big buckets in terms of how much thermal energy; but the overpressure is not even close. Throwing a water Balloon at Mach speeds would accordingly cause the water molecules to get faster accordingly and thus raise thermal energy by default.

A Kamehameha Wave either consists of Ki that is really dense/high heat capacity specific, or has Temperature that's a couple dozen digits on the Celsius/Kelvin scale. Or somewhere middle'd out but still relatively impressive in all areas.

I beg to differ
The interplay between force and thermal energy is intricate. Force pertains to the motion and interaction of macroscopic entities, whereas thermal energy is associated with the kinetic energy of individual particles within a system. These two concepts are not directly analogous as they delineate distinct physical phenomena. The capacity to endure force, such as pressure or impact, does not unequivocally imply the ability to withstand substantial amounts of thermal energy. Various materials and organisms exhibit divergent tolerances to different types of stress. For instance, a diamond, while able to endure significant pressure, can combust and transmute into carbon dioxide in the presence of heat and oxygen. While I agree with the radiation statement, it is not the only realistic threat inflicting harm upon them.
I explained in more detail posts below and I already know the differences. However, one thing you overlooked is again the "Throwing a water balloon at mach speeds" example. It would automatically cause the molecules to accelerate accordingly.

Yeah, a Megaton punch would always generate at least as many megatons of thermal energy. It's not quite the same the opposite because dumping a bucket of warm water could technically be described as 9-B or even 9-A for really big buckets in terms of how much thermal energy; but the overpressure is not even close. Throwing a water Balloon at Mach speeds would accordingly cause the water molecules to get faster accordingly and thus raise thermal energy by default.

A Kamehameha Wave either consists of Ki that is really dense/high heat capacity specific, or has Temperature that's a couple dozen digits on the Celsius/Kelvin scale. Or somewhere middle'd out but still relatively impressive in all areas.
A punch exerting a force equivalent to a megaton would not necessarily engender an analogous amount of thermal energy. Again, force and thermal energy are distinct physical constructs. Force pertains to the acceleration and mass implicated in the punch, while thermal energy is associated with the heat generated. The heat engendered in a punch would hinge on factors such as friction and deformation, which do not scale linearly with the force of the punch. The analogy of discharging a bucket of warm water does not accurately represent the relationship between thermal energy and overpressure. I admit while it’s true that a substantial quantity of warm water would contain significant thermal energy, this energy is not equivalent to overpressure, which is a form of mechanical force. The impact of the water would depend on factors such as the altitude from which it’s discharged and the area over which it’s dispersed, not its thermal energy. Though that Balloon analogy looks fair enough.

I'm not sure if they can survive Nuke level heat and I wouldn't be surprised if they could. But all I'm going to say is don't scale Heat resistance to AP.
What I meant to say was that their ki attacks also have heat, as it has been used to roast a meal or vaporize materials leaving burn marks, a ki blast with enough AP to destroy a planet for example ,focused on a human sized target, should pack ridiculous amounts of heat as well

You misunderstood what I said. I never said Overpressure = thermal energy, I said the opposite in that Thermal energy >= Overpressure.
If there is 5 megajoules of overpressure, then there is at least 5 megajoules of thermal energy.
If there is no more than 5 megajoules of thermal energy, then there is at MOST 5 megajoules of overpressure and usually considerably less than that.
They're both kinetic energy but in different directions. Overpressure is blunt force trauma generated upon impact which is measured due to the force of high pressured objects. Thermal energy is the internal kinetic energy of all atoms and molecules in motion. And where there is overpressure, there will be at least as much thermal energy given how particles behave.

Also, I never talked about Force. Force (In Newtons) = Mass (In kg) * Acceleration (In m/s^2) I know that. But not what I'm talking about. I'm specifically talking about Overpressure (Measured in joules or Tons of TNT equivalent)

You misunderstood what I said. I never said Overpressure = thermal energy, I said the opposite in that Thermal energy >= Overpressure.
If there is 5 megajoules of overpressure, then there is at least 5 megajoules of thermal energy.
If there is no more than 5 megajoules of thermal energy, then there is at MOST 5 megajoules of overpressure and usually considerably less than that.
They're both kinetic energy but in different directions. Overpressure is blunt force trauma generated upon impact which is measured due to the force of high pressured objects. Thermal energy is the internal kinetic energy of all atoms and molecules in motion. And where there is overpressure, there will be at least as much thermal energy given how particles behave.

Also, I never talked about Force. Force (In Newtons) = Mass (In kg) * Acceleration (In m/s^2) I know that. But not what I'm talking about. I'm specifically talking about Overpressure (Measured in joules or Tons of TNT equivalent)
My bad

Having infinite durability is exactly when temperature stops mattering (unless the writer treats heat differently from force), it’s moreso the Moon to Galaxy level characters I’m asking about.

The best heat resistances I can come up with on the top of my head is Goku fighting on Namek.

Now, I don’t particularly know how hot a planet that’s seconds away from exploding should be, but I think the fact that there’s clear lava spewing out from all parts of the ground should be a clear indicator that it’s pretty hot.

Nuclear explosions may be extremely hot, but they’re only hottest for split seconds at most, and if heat travels through your body quickly enough, then it won’t be heating up your cells as much as it normally would. (This is the reason people can survive lightning bolts despite them being like 20,000 degrees Celsius. The lightning travels through your body too quickly to really heat your skin cells to an extreme degree.)

Physically, I think this feat here is Goku's best for heat resistance, but that's Toei Canon.

Generally speaking, Goku's been relatively unaffected by all kinds. The heat of Beerus' Cataclysmic Orb (which Old Kai said could evaporate anything it touches, likely including the planet), only burnt his clothes, he was unaffected by Lava in DBS Broly, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber's various environments only affected him as a kid, he easily took re-entry in Battle of Gods, he passively was fine despite the fact he was burning up the atmosphere as a SSG, and from an authorial intent standpoint, for the DBS Broly film Goku, Vegeta, and Broly were envisioned to be fighting on the Sun but it was cut for time. (Though, obviously, that did not happen and we obviously shouldn't count it as a "canon feat," it does lend itself as a means of insight, especially when it is well known that the original script and film got cut down to what we got.)

That is to say, I'm pretty sure Canon Goku's heat resistance is actually very minimal pre-BoG if you don't include Ki Attacks that naturally generate Heat, (which we naturally don't do because that's impossible to quantify) due to the fact he rarely fights beings whose heat powers are at all worth talking about before he reaches Low Multi.

Edit: Goku goes to the Core of the Earth in DBS Episode 68. He uses a suit, initially, but he reappears with Beerus and Whis next scene via teleport directly from the Core without the suit, and apparently there was enough interaction for Goku to explain the situation to Beerus and have the crystal confiscated. That is to say it's not out of reason to say he experienced that level of heat, but it's also not within reason to argue he did, either. Hence why I'm NOT counting it.

Last edited:
Physically, I think this feat here is Goku's best for heat resistance, but that's Toei Canon.

Generally speaking, Goku's been relatively unaffected by all kinds. The heat of Beerus' Cataclysmic Orb (which Old Kai said could evaporate anything it touches, likely including the planet, only burnt his clothes, he was unaffected by Lava in DBS Broly, the Hyperbolic Time Chamber's various environments only affected him as a kid, he easily took re-entry in Battle of Gods, he passively was fine despite the fact he was burning up the atmosphere as a SSG, and from an authorial intent standpoint, for the DBS Broly film Goku, Vegeta, and Broly were envisioned to be fighting on the Sun but it was cut for time. (Though, obviously, that did not happen and we obviously shouldn't count it as a "canon feat," it does lend itself as a means of insight, especially when it is well known that the original script and film got cut down to what we got.)

That is to say, I'm pretty sure Canon Goku's heat resistance is actually very minimal pre-BoG if you don't include Ki Attacks that naturally generate Heat, (which we naturally don't do because that's impossible to quantify) due to the fact he rarely fights beings whose heat powers are at all worth talking about before he reaches Low Multi.
I'll add something, in the novel it is said that they fought inside the magma

What is actually shown in the film

This reminds me, (and might be a bit derailing depending on answer), has there been anything on the Heat Generation/Supercharging of Atmospheric Particles for SSG Goku? I don't see it on the profile and I'm curious to see what that would qualify as. Like, given he was okay in said superheated/dying atmosphere, would that count as a really good Heat Resistance feat?

Beerus created a supernova capable of burning anything and reached the Kaioshins' kingdom, I believe they can at least resist the heat, but radiation only Moro and characters as Majin Buu

This reminds me, (and might be a bit derailing depending on answer), has there been anything on the Heat Generation/Supercharging of Atmospheric Particles for SSG Goku? I don't see it on the profile and I'm curious to see what that would qualify as. Like, given he was okay in said superheated/dying atmosphere, would that count as a really good Heat Resistance feat?
I believe it should give absurd resistance, Beerus created a super nova and is mentioned burning everything he catches, Goku's hands in the attack burn everything

No no
It's not the Supernova/Beerus Ball/Cataclysmic Orb

It's the beginning of Episode 12.

Basically, both Goku and Beerus were floating in the air, and as Bulma's ship tries to fly closer it gets halted by a phenonmena caused by the two's Auras.
(Sub)

The Ship ascends towards Goku and Beerus...

Piccolo: Did we make it in time?!

Goten: Go for it, father!

...but gets met with interference, stopping in midair as white sparks/dots flash all around, and IN, the ship. Something is wrong with the very air itself.

Bulma: W-what's going on?! Oh no!

Gohan: Piccolo, what's going on?

Piccolo: Their power is scorching the air...
Not very specific/pretty vague, but given the visual and the wording, especially how Goku and Beerus literally have to "leave the atmosphere" to keep everyone safe from their auras, there is at least an implication.
(Dub)

The Ship ascends towards Goku and Beerus...

Piccolo: Did we make it in time?!

Goten: Good luck out there, dad! You can take 'em!

...but gets met with interference, stopping in midair as white sparks/dots flash all around, and IN, the ship. Something is wrong with the very air itself.

Bulma: W-what is that, an electrical storm?!

Gohan: What the heck's going on, Piccolo?!

Piccolo: Their energy seems to be charging particles in the atmosphere!
The Dub takes that clarification and gets as explicit as you can get with it. That said, considering the context of the moment, burning the air probably is less impressive than the other feats listed.

Back