• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Donkey Kong Moon Feat Recalculation

I know it's Screwattack, but i'ts strange to believe they showed an inaccurate calc on a Death Battle Video.

I don't know if you want to do the recalculation but if we can't find the moon's diameter should we just go by what the moon in real life is?

The very fact that Screw Attack used Joules and actual data for their fights rather than arbitrarily saying "This guy is stronger" is actually surprising.

I'd still rather use our own calc for this. Also, didn't SA's result give only 3 gigatons? That's 7-A.

I think that the size that they put there isn't bad at all, that moon doesn't seems to have a diameter of 845 km, they put the right mass of the real moon, but written a bad diameter, they also used a minimal value for moving the moon that not sure where they get it.

Why can't the diameter of our moon be used? The Marioverse constantly scales things down to fit on screen and to, overall, save space on memory. When they don't have to do that, the Marioverse's moon looks like a rather large one to me. In Super Mario Land 2, it's clearly the size of our own, and the moon levels in the game are actually very big.

A good example of them scaling down would be Yoshi's Island, where the moon looks exactly like ours does in the sky, but when you go there for a boss fight, it's no bigger than a giant boulder. Not to mention the gargantuan Super Mario Odyssey moon.

Metal Mario875 said:
Why can't the diameter of our moon be used? The Marioverse constantly scales things down to fit on screen and to, overall, save space on memory. When they don't have to do that, the Marioverse's moon looks like a rather large one to me. In Super Mario Land 2, it's clearly the size of our own, and the moon levels in the game are actually very big.
A good example of them scaling down would be Yoshi's Island, where the moon looks exactly like ours does in the sky, but when you go there for a boss fight, it's no bigger than a giant boulder. Not to mention the gargantuan Super Mario Odyssey moon.
What tier do you suppose Donkey Kong should be now?

No. If it was comparable to our earth, for moving it Donkey Kong would end up at Large Planet level and that is inconstent with all the other feats in the DKC continuity.

Dark649 said:
No. If it was comparable to our earth, for moving it Donkey Kong would end up at Large Planet level and that is inconstent with all the other feats in the DKC continuity.
And Country level DK isn't? It's closer to the other feats, but it's still far higher than they are.

Many don't even scale to 6-B DK. They normally scale to his 6-C. I don't get why him being superior like he always has been, except by a higher tier prevents us from upgrading someone for a feat that, as I pointed out, might just be a lot higher than what was generally accepted.

If it's an outlier, keep it consistent and make them all 6-C.

I have no idea how you can think that the Mario moon is as big as ours when you literally show a scan of the moon being 10 meters long at best.

The moon is inconsistent, but in DK's case, it's certainly not Moon sized.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
I have no idea how you can think that the Mario moon is as big as ours when you literally show a scan of the moon being 10 meters long at best.

The moon is inconsistent, but in DK's case, it's certainly not Moon sized.
What are you talking about? The moon from Yoshi's Island? I explained the entire thing. The moon looks like the size of ours in the sky, but when you reach it, it's scaled down.

Eh, I think Metal has a point. Wouldn't be the first nintendo game to do this type of stuff, ie Pokemon and Zelda being huge examples (with Pokemon even gave stuff like the one route in Kalos being stated to be 6 miles long and littered with millions of stones yet the game shows a much smaller size).

Except that the characters can easily go around it in seconds and such. You can't just claim it's scaled down just because.

Moons that are small yet still appear similar in the sky are common in fiction. It just means it's closer. See Soul Eater's moon.

This is even more flagrant with DK's moon. There is not even any cinematic cut or changes due to gameplay. It's a whole non-gameplay scene that shows that the moon is only a bit bigger than DK Island. Nevermind the fact that it could fall on Earth and do absolutely no damage.

I'm not claiming it's scaled down for no reason. I'm claiming it's scaled down because that's simply what it is.

It's closer? Then why is it not closer in Super Mario Land 2? The Marioverse shares one moon. This isn't a matter of "it's closer," it's always been a set distance away from Mario's planet--which, by the way, bares a striking similar appearance to our own. Thus, its tidal waves are no different--which they should be, considering if it were so close. The true issue here is that, again, it's simply scaled down. The Marioverse does this all the time, so it's far more consistent than it simply being closer. Using a completely different verse with different fundamentals than Mario's is irrelevant.

And there was no cinematic cut in Super Mario World that showed a castle being three times bigger than Mario either, when said castle is easily hundreds of times bigger. And the fact that the Earth wasn't destroyed is PIS. No Earth = no game.

"Simply what it is" isn't a good reason.

The moon has drastically different appearances depending on the game. There is no consistency here.

There was. The time between Mario being in the castle and him being outside. We don't see Mario shrinking to enter or it anything. Meanwhile, in DK, the Moon scene is 100% inside a literal cutscene. We can see that the moon is only barely bigger than the island, we can see that it's not that far away from Earth, etc. etc. There is no proof that it is as big as ours, except if you try to claim consistency from a notoriously inconsistent series.

Except it is when that's how it works.

I still don't understand why we insist on the moon literally changing sizes when that's literally one of the things that should be consistent, and only one exists in the Marioverse, but eh. Believe what you'd like.

And that still doesn't make sense when it's still a literal cutscene showing the castle being tiny VS the beginning cutscene showing it enormous. Two completely contradictory cutscenes that both cut straight to the scene itself, so it's still the same thing.

"There is no proof that it is as big as ours, except if you try to claim consistency from a notoriously inconsistent series." The Marioverse's characters are inconsistent, and even then, we require them to be consistent. Just look at Mario's profile--he only has Tier 4 feats, not his 2-B Dreamy Bowser feat. Again, we still require consistency from them, yet we're not going to require consistency from their moon? Alright then.

You're claiming that the moon actually changes size within the same game it's in. The excuse of scaling down the moon doesn't work anymore when it's that blatant.

Just look at Yoshi's. This is not just "scaling down the moon to fit in the screen". The moon is literally and genuinely that small here. The characters are around the same size, the obstacles are around the same size, the characters can easily make laps around it, etc.

There is not even any cutscene or whatever showing DK's moon as fully moon-sized, unlike the castles. Not a single thing, except you attempting to scale it from other Mario sub-series.

We're dealing with the size of an object here, not just character power. The moon looks vastly different in various installments, and seems to have actually different size in each of them. It's not just a matter of artstyle at that point.

I see an issue here.

I'm saying that, because of the earlier titles showing the moon being big, and because of how the earlier titles were very inconsistent in that aspect, it makes sense that the moon is simply scaled down in other media.

You're saying that it's simply inconsistency, and that the moon is literally capable of changing sizes, and it's not just artstyle or such since the Marioverse is inconsistent.

Neither of us are budging from what we say, so I'm tapping out. We need more input here to get a unanimous result.

Back