• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Domestic Cat vs Peregrine Falcon

Pretty sure this is a stomp for the falcon. It' litterally the fastest thing alive. He can just fly awqay, come back at trememndous speed and one shot the cat.

I just watched a few videos on this since both are real animals, and i vote inconclusive both can kill each other easily; if the cat lands a pounce it wins if the falcon kills the cat before it knew what hit it the falcon wins.

Yushiang said:
cat held down with ease by real falcon here' theyre stronger than the cat per size even though the cats heavier
I can find videos of cats killing falcon doesn't change anything; both cats and falcons have killed each other before. Inconclusive due to it being inconclusive in real life

link me one? governments advise ppl to keep cats indoors if falcons live there for a reason

that is the cats being easy prey for them

I'm going to assume a large female peregrine falcon and a large male ragdoll or mane **** cat.

Under SBA, both begin in melee range, as that is the farthest both can reach with their attacks.

The cat is going to weigh potentially upwards of five times the falcon, and has a very high chance of catching it before it takes off.

The falcon's chances of survival are minimial.

This is reversed assuming the falcon starts far away and in the air, giving it time to build up speed.

The problem is that depending on which of these you choose, there's not much the other can do.

the falcons casual flying speed is faster than the cat. on the ground, falcons are extremely strong for their size and have talons with a beak. like in the video the falcon is holding down the cat and the cat cant do anything. it would just stab at its neck or head with her beak if it got tackled

Flying speed =/= the speed at which the falcon leaves the ground. It is not enough to prevent being tackled from less than a few feet away.

Also, not only is that cat not even remotely the size of an adult mane ****, but having talons and a beak is not going to cover a weight difference that massive.

There is an enormous difference between a falcon diving at hundreds of miles per hour from the air and a falcon on the ground. It's a peregrine falcon, not a large eagle.

with a casual wing beat they can reach 60 mph. im sure they can dodge a cat moving at around 32 mph.

falcons are used to being with animals that are larger than them. raptors are in general. the peregrine falcon kills prey that are larger than it

i know that. when the falcon gets in the air, its going to come back down, latch itself on the cats back and rip at its neck. this is the technique used by golden eagles to kill wolves. Their behaviors arent very dissimilar

Again, you are treating a falcon that is airborne as the same as a falcon that is on the ground, stationary, and within reach of its opponent. These are not comparable.

Peregrine falcons kill larger prey via diving into it, which requires it to already be airborne and at a distance.

There's a way the eagle gets into that proper position, which doesn't involve both it and the wolf being right next to each other and not moving. You are, again, assuming it will have the chance to become airborne. That is not the case, here. Either the falcon and cat start in melee range via SBA, at which point the cat's chances of killing the falcon are largely superior, or the falcon starts airborne, in which case it pretty much has this in the bag from the start.

These are both skilled ambush predators. The Peregrine Falcon's famous speed is achieved from diving out of the sky, not standing around like a lemon. The fight is inconclusive. The win is situational.

falcons arent stupid. if it can reach that speed with a casual wing beat, it will do that when the cat moves. how could the cat catch it when it would immediately jump/fly back?

falcons related to the peregrine hold down larger crows or geese and then kill them. falcons are known for killing average sized cats aswell. the peregrine falcon doesnt only do that either

the wolf often bites and tries to get away like any other mammal. they arent weak enough to be overpowered that easily. imo the falcon has the larger chance to win either way

Holding down a much larger animal which is multiple times the falcon's own weight is not something that is remotely plausible without prior damage.

Assuming high-end weights for both, this is not some 5-6 lb cat. This is a large animal weighing 15-18 lbs attacking the falcon head on. I'm not sure you grasp how large a maine **** actually is in comparison, and that the falcon isn't "jumping back" at instantaneous 60 mph.

Hence why this entire thing depends on if the falcon is airborne.

^ The cat will catch by being a cat; I have a predator vs predator book at home and I've seen sites that say that cats are predators to falcons so I'll link the sites when I get home and read my book

if a gyrfalcon can hold down and rip apart a canadian goose (which gets up to 5-6kg), its not unplausible for a related falcon just as heavy or heavier to be able to damage an animal of similar weight to that on the ground.

i know the maine **** is much larger than the falcon, but falcons have a lot of experience with animals larger than them. why wouldnt the falcon be able to jump back faster than the cat if it can reach speeds of 50-60 mph by one wing flap?

well yeah, its far more even starting on the ground

Keeweed said:
^ The cat will catch by being a cat; I have a predator vs predator book at home and I've seen sites that say that cats are predators to falcons so I'll link the sites when I get home and read my book

everywhere ive heard its the other way round.

If you're referring to the gyrfalcon vs Canadian goose video I'm thinking of, the very first thing the gyrfalcon does is dive straight into the goose from high in the air.

the goose was only shocked from the dive, not very injured. it grabs the goose and starts overpowering it after that

wait, melee distance? thats insanely close, probably less than one meter. the cat would immediately pounce on it, but im still sorta convinced the talons and beak along with the falcons strength would injure it enough for the falcon to get back

ApiesDeathbyLazors said:
Yeah and that shock is a very important factor.

the goose got up immediately and started trying to fight the falcon after that. it just grounded the goose

the p-falcon is probably just as physically strong or stronger than the gyrfalcon, so it can physically wrestle with animals in the maine coons size range

For me the falcon has a higher AP, Speed and also has a higher stamina. It also has the flight advantage. My vote is on the falcon.

The falcon's range is unknown. What does that mean for starting distance? Are we going with melee range for the cat or 4 kilometers as stated in SBA?

Alright, so I started this post with a huge long rant about why I was changing my vote from Inconclusive to Cat, and that would have been fine, but then I went and looked closer at both DCat and PFalcon's profiles and came to the realization that the DCat's speed was measured in kph and the PFalcon's speed was measured in m/s. So I took the DCat's 50kph to google for a converson to m/s, because I'm american and don't know the metric system, and found out the PFalcon's slowest speed(16 m/s) is faster then the DCat's 13m/s. And yes I know that should have been obvious, flying is faster then running, but I was only looking at numbers. That's still no excuse, but I'm calling myself now and changing my vote, so cut me some slack.

TL;DR: PFalcon takes this with a High degree of difficulty. This is no easy win as many people would like to claim, because the PFalcon would need to immediatly get away from the DCat and gain as much hight as possible. I still belive the cat would take this in a close quarters fight on the ground, I just think the PFalcon has a few more, very slightly better, options.

ApiesDeathbyLazors said:
Alright, so I started this post with a huge long rant about why I was changing my vote from Inconclusive to Cat, and that would have been fine, but then I went and looked closer at both DCat and PFalcon's profiles and came to the realization that the DCat's speed was measured in kph and the PFalcon's speed was measured in m/s. So I took the DCat's 50kph to google for a converson to m/s, because I'm american and don't know the metric system, and found out the PFalcon's slowest speed(16 m/s) is faster then the DCat's 13m/s. And yes I know that should have been obvious, flying is faster then running, but I was only looking at numbers. That's still no excuse, but I'm calling myself now and changing my vote, so cut me some slack.
TL;DR: PFalcon takes this with a High degree of difficulty. This is no easy win as many people would like to claim, because the PFalcon would need to immediatly get away from the DCat and gain as much hight as possible. I still belive the cat would take this in a close quarters fight on the ground, I just think the PFalcon has a few more, very slightly better, options.
Falcon FRA

They don't start airborne.

No, but just like Apies said, the Falcon can get away from the cat by flying in order to gain enough altitude to come back down for the attack. I agree with his wall of text and I cast my vote for the Falcon, with high difficulty.

Back