• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DiscordIntegrator: Potential Issue(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossverseCrisis

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Just to bring this up to everyones attention, i have added a DiscordIntegrator sidebar that allows anyone to get on our FC/OC Discord Chat. This was done in order to make things more "convenient" for anyone that would like to join our chat.

However much like internal wikia chats, this brings in potential trouble in the form of unwanted users coming in like raid attacks or something of the like. So far we seem to have like a couple or just one, and for those that are always aware of stupid stuff like this, i'm sure you know what i mean by this so i will not get into it further.

Now a user we have here had informed me of a recent problem, which i (albeit in the middle of the morning but it's not that big of a deal often than not for me so whatever) had to take care of. Of today no less (although by the time any of y'all read this, it would far past it so just for reference, this was done at like since past 2:35 AM in the morning of Sat).

I had to go ban the trouble off from the server but i have no idea if it's permanent or not. Other things i have done was to make it that instant invites are no longer a thing...at least, that's how i assumed to have set it as i haven't really looked at the features of a discord server that much until recently. Some more others, like verification, seems to be a tougher thing to get around like say "have a verified email" to as high as "got to have a confirmed phone link" shit whatever. Complicated but try to look it up.

The point i want to make here is we may have more troubles like this so i want to ask those who are familiar with Discord and how it works if they know what i could do, or more so what WE can do, in order to get the least amount of troubles such as this as possible. Like what kind of requirements could we set in order to make things harder for raiders/trollers/unwanted users of trouble to not get in easily for example?

Also to those that have rights in the server such as kicking and banning, of which i assume is of me (of course) and the active admins, you all can simply ban someone like in wikia chat: Right click on a users name, go to ban (not block as i found out that it simply makes you just not see that users msgs anymore on a server but everyone else can), and just ban them. You can put up a reasoning as well just like wikia chats but it also apparently gives you the option to delete messages from up to a week or you could just not at all. Either way, all of those like me that can do this keep this in mind for when i'm not on there (which is like 90% of the time due to me just PM'ing in private so...).

Last part aside, again does anyone very familiar with Discord and its server features have any ideas as to how we can effectively deal with this kind of problem?

Put the Discord on a need-to-know basis. You can easily ask for a link, or be given a link by a mod, but they will be quickly deleted after the person being given the link either accepts or declines it, whatever comes up. This'll make trolling practically non-existent.

@DMUA: That's what i was thinking of, actually. Troublesome as it could, it would also serve to be more restrictive in the sense of how not everyone can just walkz on in there and start things up (assuming that's what they may do. Not to say to all, but to anyone).

I suppose i could try that. Seems a lot better than to go with more restrictive ones but will see what others may say of this perhaps?

I hate to bring this up, but while that's a great idea, that won't stop certain people from finding out. Someone from...elsewhere, might ask someone here who they are cool with to give them a link and they'll do it to stay "neutral". This goes way back so excuse me if many of you don't know what I'm talking about.

Sera also has a point with that too. Didn't really think of that so that's a possibility of happening as well.

Well, we'll get those situations, but they'll be few and far between. And, when they happen, just pull out the Ban Hammer.

I don't know about anyone else, but perhaps there is a way to IP block Lina? He's the only one invading constantly and I do not feel comfortable around that guy after all the mess he's caused. Otherwise things should be ok.

There isn't a necessity to go and straight up block something who has done nothing of not on the fc/oc Discord as of yet, until there screen caps of him berating users while he was there I don't see an issue with it honestly.

The bot suggestion seems like quite a handy idea if the situation ever came to being, by i'm personally iffy on specifics.

@Peach: Well for now, there's nothing that seems to be going wrong so i guess this issue is pretty down for the most part.

@Aku: It's more of a personal dislike given various peoples history with this guy in some shape or form (Sera, Matt, me, etc.). That and this is also, just to share, the same guy that cussed me the **** out when i tried to finally talk things through with him in a reasonable and calm manner. I don't know what anyone even thinks of that guy, but he's definitely not going anywhere near such a place like that after what i saw of him.

If you guys really think someone like Lina should be unbanned, go ******* talk to Matthew about it. He's the one that informed about this and why i even made such a thread.

I meant should an IP block be posisble as Peach asked, there's no need to go that far. That's what I meant. I really don't care but I know Matt and Ever don't want him around.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't just based off not only my interactions with him, but Cross, Matt, Dragon, Ever, and even Prom's. I try to be forgiving and fair, but I know for a fact that I don't want that guy anywhere near me.

I tried to reason with him on Hangouts. He even joined our freaking chat and what he goes on to do later? I won't even mentioncit, you all know what he did. I don't want him anywhere near me. Because he has yet to apologize, even attempt to do so, or shown any indiciation of such.

Being forgiving to a guy that actually cussed me out when i tried to actually give my reasons out for once and not try to get things bitter with them only to still cuss me out AND ignore like 99% of what i said and instantly block me? That's not going to ******* pass.

That's why i banned him off our server. Just because he's caused problems with those he's interacted with and how he just flips out when we say even the minorest thing to him (as Rep kind of noted to me when i explained what happened). I really don't ******* like that forgiving attitude, Sera. But i'm not even going to go even further on that here nor derail it or whatever. I'm just pointing out that not all people need shit like that if they themselves can't be reasoned with. And even i learned that the "weird" way in a door slammed to face fashion.

Other than that, on-topic wise, this thread doesn't seem to have much purpose for the time being as Peach pointed out that only one has been brought up to fruit about this. If anyone else got something, maybe also of my attitude just now even if you like, i'm probably just going to close this for the time being until more cases like this shows up. And that includes actual problems. Although if it's someone like the "above" well...

Alright last thing then.

Not exactly the kind of attitude i should have start with at the morning. I'm going to admit that (i did just woke up an hour ago but even then...). But what i will say to everyone here is that even if someone like "the above" didn't do anything wrong YET in the Discord chat, i would think their history of interacting with multiple people, particularly those that know them like us, are really not going to get anywhere anything that's related to this wikia. That including those like Discord's Group Chat server.

Another thing, on-topic wise, is that should there be any issues of this as i noted, do please contact either me, Aku, Promestein, or possibly even Dragon and we'll try to handle the situation whenever we're able to. I guess for now that is what we can do for the time being but again as Peach noted earlier, only one case of this happened thus far so to all those that read this, we may not have to worry much for now.

Anyways i'll just close this now then. But if anyone has another final word to say, just ask Prom or Aku to unlock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back