• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Destiny: Cleaning up the Oryx explanations.

Can I tighten up the explanations and descriptions for Oryx's page? No insults to anyone who may have edited it recently, but it just seems to be full of word salad to a degree with multiple run-on sentences (that are not only distracting, but digress away from the point in various areas).

It probably is because blue text on blue background makes my eyes glaze over after a while, so none taken. What are your suggested changes?

Wokistan said:
It probably is because blue text on blue background makes my eyes glaze over after a while, so none taken. What are your suggested changes?
It may be an hour or so before i can get everything together, it is difficult to get everything together on mobile (laptop is currently out of commision for now).

Not actually making the edits yet, just what you plan to change.

If doing it on mobile I recommend typing long stuff in notes instead and just pasting it in

That's what I was actually planning on doing! Lol i'm working on the sections now. Though I do have a question: why is Akka listed as being Oryx's personal worm when he only gave Oryx and his sister their larvae?

Oryx killed Akka and Akka became Oryx's parasite, feeding off him.

Wokistan said:
Oryx killed Akka and Akka became Oryx's parasite, feeding off him.
Where did you get that from?

I'm reading through the books of sorrow and destinypedia, and both of them are saying after Akka died that a) Part of him was fashioned into the Dreadnaught and that b) his corpse still fought with Oryx on his way out of the Deep. But i'm not seeing anything about Akka actually becoming his Worm (I'm not trying to be combative, just asking these things while working on the paragraphs in my notes).

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/xxviii-king-of-shapes#books-of-sorrow

Card where Oryx kills Akka the first time, Akka referred to as "His god" diretly after, as The is a singular pronoun and the other worms weren't exactly there.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/x-immortals#books-of-sorrow

Worms are bound to Oryx

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/records/apocrypha?highlight=apocrypha

Given that the secret Akka kept was "Oryx is stronger than the gods" and that Oryx defeated Akka, it seems unlikely that the other 4 worms would be able to lay claim to his tithes. Xol straight up left. In addition to this, Akka's parasitism would fit in with what 2 other Hive gods did: Xol became WOTW to feed off the strength of The Guardian, and Oryx outlines his own plan to live on within The Guardia, subsuming them into himself to be reborn. New lore theorizes that this is happening to Eris, and there's also the matter of Touch of Malice.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/xxiv-the-scream#books-of-sorrow

Auryx is panicking because he realizes he can't satiate the worm. Note how he says "My worm" singular, and afterwards notes each nature that they are bound to. His own is curiosity and understanding, with Akka being the "worm of secrets", the best fit.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/xxxvii-shapes-points#books-of-sorrow

Oryx tells his daughters how mantling Akka was a thing that he did to become the god he is.

Some stuff I remembered

Wait.

1. He referred to Akka as his god because Akka was his patron worm that he confronted, right?

2. Yes they are bound, but I thought this was in reference to their covenant. In the previous entry, Yul laid out the terms and conditions which included taking their children into their bodies (it wont let me paste the link from mobile, but its Entry IX: The Bargain). Those were the only worms symbiotically bound to the theee siblings right?

3. Valid point on the other 4 worms not being able to lay claim to his Tithes! I thought Xol only left because he knew Yul was about to consume him? And that new lore pointing at Eris as possibly becoming an Avatar for Oryx (I almost said Darkseid lol) is something i'm very excited to see where they take, personally.

4. I thought this referred to the larvae he was symbiotically linked with. How could he fight Akka and use a piece of his corpse for the Dreadnought if Akka was already linked with him physically? Is it more of a metaphysical link per say?

5. I thought that reference in mantling Akka was referring to her Law Manipulation (since an axiom is a statement that's wholly regarded to be true) and a metaphor that Oryx used to describe his power being greater than Akka's.

I'm wrapping up the Summary now. I had some familial obligations to take care of real quick (context: i'm the main caretaker for a cancer survivor who almost died from bleeding out internally almost 2 months ago. My mom is still getting back on her feet). It may take a bit longer than i expected, but i'm totally willing to work with you on some of the changes I was referring to.

Yeah, but I'm talking to the reference to "His god" after AKka was killed. The utterance of it when he's about to fight Akka isn't the strongest argument, yeah. "Then he went out into the universe, and fought the Ecumene with his Tablets. And the Worm his God was pleased."

Their covenant is one with the worm gods though.

Xol left due to Yul threatening him, but Yul only did this because the remaining 4 worms feared Oryx's power and Yul was gearing up to basically do what Oryx did by consuming it's siblings to be strong enough to challenge him. Xol's absence means he can't be the one Oryx is tithing to, and if the other worms could kill him by draining him dry they wouldn't have much of a reason to fear him even if he was stronger.

Could be both. I think it was said that the dreadnaught is only 1 bone of Akka, and Oryx in the ascendant realm doesn't exactly have a traditional physical existence as explained on his page in Notes. I'd think it's a metaphorical thing, but one should remember that in Ascendant spaces, metaphor and symbolism is truer than what is real.

I don't think the daughters mantling of Akka would be literal except in the sense that they're doing what he did to overturn edicts Akka set up (which is where their concept stuff comes from, that their songs can destroy these fundamental axioms while Anuk wrote up 11), but given that we see Oryx killing Akka, I think it's okay to say that that instance is literal.

Feel free to take as much time as you want.

This has been a wild month. Anything in brackets are just placeholders for linking the source to that sentence. Anyhow:

Summary:

"Oryx, formerly known as Auryx, is the God-King of the Hive and the Taken. Born as a mere Krill princess named Aurash, her and her sisters narrowly escaped a coup that ended in their father's murder and subsumation of the Osmium throne. They journeyed to the core of their homeworld, Fundament, eventually meeting the 5 Virtuous Worm Gods trapped there: Akka, Ir, Xol, Ur, and Yul.

As these beings were directly connected to the Deep (Darkness), they embued the trio with great power under with one condition: that they each feed their worms by obeying their natures. With these new abilities, Auryx and her siblings would go on a genocidal campaign of cosmic conquest for thousands of years, until their Worms' hunger began to outgrow the destruction they wrought.

Under the threat of consumption, Auryx slew her sisters to gain their power, travelled to the Ascendant Realm, and destroyed her patron worm Akka. This action gave her a direct connection to the Deep itself, fueling her ascension into becoming Oryx, the Taken King.

After resurrecting his siblings, they resumed their tyrannical campaign on various species within the universe while warring with each other under the direction of the Sword Logic. Billions of years later, Oryx personally arrives at our Solar System due to the slaughter of his son, Crota, by Guardians.

Enraged, his Taken influence spread throughout the System. While it did, he proved himself to be one the greatest threats faced by Guardian and foe alike (From direct assaults on the Cabal, to indirectly sending the Vex in a frantic search to change their forseen fate of demise). Despite all of this, Oryx was eventually killed twice by the player's character: Once in the material realm, and a final death in his own throne.

However, Oryx still lives within the Touch of Malice, spreading his corrupting influence once more.."

Powers and Abilities: Sword Logic, Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Flight, Magic, Soul Manipulation, Necromancy, Immortality (Types 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 via Touch of Malice and the Sword Logic, 7, 8, based on his Oversoul and the concepts of curiosity and understanding [Conceptual immortality is likely not combat-applicable], 9), Regenerationn (at least Low Godly via Oversoul), Corruption, Law Manipulation, Conceptual Manipulation (Type 2), Reality Warping, Existence Erasure, Mind Manipulation, Body Puppetry and Possession via his ability to Take ([Referred to as an "ontological weapon"], Taking passively erases existence in the area around the victim, destroys foes and resurrecting them as Taken beings bent to his will. Oryx can Take acausal beings such as the Vex (who exist simultaneously at every point in time). Excluding concept. manipulation, body puppetry, and possession, Oryx can also use each of these abilities independently from one another in his material form for a variety of different applications. Law manipulation in the material realm is limited otherwise. Before her ascension to godhood, Auryx's will alone could warp laws), Acausality (Type 5), Death Manipulation, Regenerationn and Resurrection Negation (Knows how to sing deathsongs), Summoning, Duplication, Astral Projection, Absorption, Power Nullification (Stopped the Playable Character's Ghost from transmatting the Guardian out of Crota's throne world, also via King's Decree), Matter Manipulation (Macro-Quantum with Willbreaker, unknown otherwise. Oryx split a quark on his sword Willbreaker. The expansion of his Throne World was described as [finding the bonds between the particles of Mara Sov's body inessential and removing them].), Statistics Reduction, Empowerment, Spatial Manipulation (Oryx's will defines space. As lesser Hive can cut through space with their weapons, Oryx should be able to as well), Reactive Evolution (Adapts to what defeats him. Xivu Arath couldn't kill him the same way twice), Reactive Power Level (Grows stronger by killing, gains the strength of those he Takes), Power Mimicry (Oryx gains the powers and abilities of those he kills via Sword Logic), BFR (Can cast his foes into either The Darkness, or the Ascendant Plane), Electricity Manipulation, Void Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, Summoning, Gravity Manipulation, Pain Manipulation, Statistics Reduction, Willpower Manipulation, Pocket Reality Manipulation (Oryx can extend his Throne World into reality, wielding it as a weapon to annihilate his foes), Teleportation, Mathematics Manipulation (Oryx's voice can cause two different numbers to become equal).

Resistance to Information Analysis, Duplication, Precognition, Power Mimicry, (Quria, a Vex mind made to understand the Sword Logic, found Oryx completely beyond analysis and impossible to properly simulate), Power Nullification (Immune to Suppression Grenades, which temporarily nullify a being's abilities), Reality Warping, Law Manipulation, Statistics Reduction, Void Manipulation, Electricity Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, Energy Manipulation, Absorption, Life Manipulation, Poison Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, Spatial Manipulation, Curse Manipulation, Soul Manipulation (His soul is not in his own body, and his material form can take many hits from the Guardian's strongest weapons before retreating), Death Manipulation (His death is not in his own body, being stored in his Oversoul), Matter Manipulation (Macro-Quantum, as Hive Cleavers can cut through quarks. Oryx should not be able to be so easily cut by any random knight), Black Hole Creation, Gravity Manipulation, Heat Manipulation (His weaker sister Savathun was fine with flying into a black hole), Mind Manipulation (Shouldn't be weaker than his Ascendant self's resistance, since it's the same mind).

Attack Potency: At least Moon level+ (Controls an assortment of war moons. Comparable to Xivu Arath, who destroyed a moon on a whim. Superior to Akka, Worm of Secrets moved 52 moons into a line with the other 4 Worms. Vastly superior to beings that cut open moons.), likely Solar System level (Destroyed star-web constructs. Conjured a black sun to attack Crota. Provides the power for the Dreadnaught's containment system, which would destroy the solar system if broken.) Ignores durability with most abilities, the Tablets of Ruin, and Willbreaker. | Multiverse level (Far stronger than beings on the level of [his] [daughters]. Stomped Quria, a Vex Mind his children couldn't defeat. One of his Taken Vex minds was enough to completely overwhelm the Vex presence within the Solar System, comprised of an increasing three trillion timelines. Oryx holds hegemony over the Ascendant Plane, consisting of numberless alternate spaces. The Hive worlds there are established as infinite), eventually will become At least Multiverse level+ (The Vex foresaw no futures where they survived, as Oryx was rapidly approaching their level of power. The might of the Vex as a collective is great enough that the significance of infinite multiverses (such as the Infinite Forest) are likened to the difference between 2.11 and 2.2), possibly High Multiverse level+ (The numerical size magnitude of the Infinite Forest is likened to an irrational quantity, which are uncountably sized. Though the numbers described are not irrational, it can be argued that something similar is implied. The "incalculably infinite" number sequence may be able to be taken to refer to the set of all decimal quantities, which would amount to an uncountably infinite superiority). Ignores durability with most abilities, the Tablets of Ruin, and Willbreaker. (Willbreaker and the Tablets of Ruin need their own descriptions in his Standard Equipment section to describe what they do, and what they are).

This is all I have so far^

Wokistan said:
Yeah, but I'm talking to the reference to "His god" after AKka was killed. The utterance of it when he's about to fight Akka isn't the strongest argument, yeah. "Then he went out into the universe, and fought the Ecumene with his Tablets. And the Worm his God was pleased."

Their covenant is one with the worm gods though.

Xol left due to Yul threatening him, but Yul only did this because the remaining 4 worms feared Oryx's power and Yul was gearing up to basically do what Oryx did by consuming it's siblings to be strong enough to challenge him. Xol's absence means he can't be the one Oryx is tithing to, and if the other worms could kill him by draining him dry they wouldn't have much of a reason to fear him even if he was stronger.

Could be both. I think it was said that the dreadnaught is only 1 bone of Akka, and Oryx in the ascendant realm doesn't exactly have a traditional physical existence as explained on his page in Notes. I'd think it's a metaphorical thing, but one should remember that in Ascendant spaces, metaphor and symbolism is truer than what is real.

I don't think the daughters mantling of Akka would be literal except in the sense that they're doing what he did to overturn edicts Akka set up (which is where their concept stuff comes from, that their songs can destroy these fundamental axioms while Anuk wrote up 11), but given that we see Oryx killing Akka, I think it's okay to say that that instance is literal.

Feel free to take as much time as you want.
Even though i do agree with everything that you're stating here, I still am not sure Akka is Oryx's own personal worm. Unless it is explicitly confirmed, like how Xol's survival as Whisper was, I don't think that should be on the page as a weakness for him (if it isn't listed as a weakness on his page,I may have to double check it, it's been a minute since I've seen pages on here and i may have gotten a few of them confused).

Even though Akka himself may not be dead, to say that he became his Worm doesn't seem right when it was stated that his worm was one of the Worm Gods' various children. I agree that he was still feeding off of Oryx, but I don't believe he became the actual Worm that was within Oryx's body. I say we hold off on including that on his page until it's confirmed (there is the possibility of the sea monster on Titan still being the worm that was in Oryx), if that's okay with you?

This is just quite long, which makes sense but yeah. I can see about taking a closer look at it a bit later, but it looks good from what I can see at a glance.

Back